Network Rail announces Queen Street station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Network Rail announces Queen Street station

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:51 am

Just what Glasgow needs, yet another glass box which will no doubt be covered in bird s**t and algae after a few years.

Wish they'd have come up with something more imaginative.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:55 am

Haggis wrote:As much as i loath a lot of modern glass structures.its better than the manky building there at moment.
Why are we not linking up low level to the subway station without having to come up to high level then go back down to subway.this would make life a lot easier for folks.But its a start .the area around station is run down looking.

Sounds easy in principle, and it would be straightforward enough to burrow through from Platform 8 of the Low Level to the Subway station, but how do you do it from Platform 9 Eastbound without having to duck below the railway tracks...the only way of doing it would be to burrow down deeper so you'd get to the subway platforms directly, but then you'd need another ticket hall because you've bypassed the one on Buchanan Street.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Haggis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes i understand that now.wish they would hurry bring about oyster card for the city and beyond.it would be really good for a link to subway it would be one way of extending the subways reach by easy walk to train to east end etc.
just wish our city would get it sact together.Even with crossrail linking to subway on southside and argyle low level at Glasgow cross would be very helpful for a lot of folks.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Haggis wrote:just wish our city would get it sact together

Sadly our city's reputation for saying things and then getting around to doing it can usually be measured in decades, not years. Totally agree with you though on smartcard ticketing - we have been crying out for an Oyster style system for years.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:44 am

The trouble with an Oyster style system is that for it to work effectively, it would require SPT, Scotrail and FirstBus to all talk to each other.

There's more chance of Sean Connery moving to Scotland than there is of those three finding some common ground...

Tis a real pity - the Oyster is the thing that makes travelling round London an absolute breeze.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 am

Well it's stupid - in the days when SPT was a truly integrated authority (and it really DID 'join up journeys'), that was the closest we got to a London Transport like organisation that had a unified brand for everything and it worked. Then they fragmented it all up. Progress my a**se!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Re Oyster Card type system, I've noticed over the past few days on my commute to Coatbridge Sunnyside a number of stations have what can only be described as card/ swipe reader devices located on the platforms. Garscadden, Bellgrove, Shettleston, Garrowhill all have them.

If I get a chance I'll take a phone snap tomorrow morning.

Haven't noticed them on the Central to Whifflet line which I've been using up until Monday of this week.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 pm

yoker brian wrote:Re Oyster Card type system, I've noticed over the past few days on my commute to Coatbridge Sunnyside a number of stations have what can only be described as card/ swipe reader devices located on the platforms. Garscadden, Bellgrove, Shettleston, Garrowhill all have them.

If I get a chance I'll take a phone snap tomorrow morning.

Haven't noticed them on the Central to Whifflet line which I've been using up until Monday of this week.

Getting rolled out on the following lines just now YB

Edinburgh/Glasgow-Stirling/Alloa/Dunblane
Ayrshire&Inverclyde
Glasgow East and West (including North Clyde) - which im taking is low level via queen st and low level via Central
Dundee-Aberdeen
and the E&G which trialled it
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:17 am

anything that gets rid of that horrific eyesore is a bonus.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

New Plans for Queen Street

Postby road_kill » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:38 am

You're welcome.
road_kill
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 am

Still just another dreary glass and stainless steel box....which will be covered in bird s**t and algae in a couple of years because nobody can be arsed cleaning it.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 pm

A four month closure is on the cards in 2016:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/five ... n.23565513

Bizarrely, they aren't even doing the actual electrification works for EGIP as part of the tunnel closure. I'm no expert in project management, but surely it'd make sense to do the whole lot in a one-er??

Combine this with EGIP and the Buchanan Galleries extension, that end of the town is going to be one massive building site until the end of the decade.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sluddy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:10 pm

I've been quite excited about this but having went through the official site one thing that seems to be missing from the media coverage is the development directly behind the Millennium hotel

Here's a rough, rough snap directly from the site:

http://www.egip.info/media/3229/option- ... llerymodal

It's pretty oppressive and I can imagine from George Square it won't be particularly easy on the eye.

Does anyone have any further details on this aspect of the build at all?
sluddy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:45 pm

sluddy wrote:.............

It's pretty oppressive and I can imagine from George Square it won't be particularly easy on the eye.

George Sq gave up any pretentions of being 'easy on the eye' some time ago.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 pm

sluddy wrote:I've been quite excited about this but having went through the official site one thing that seems to be missing from the media coverage is the development directly behind the Millennium hotel

Here's a rough, rough snap directly from the site:

Does anyone have any further details on this aspect of the build at all?

That is the Buchanan Galleries' new multi-storey car park I think according to the plans. Once this is built the existing one will be demolished so that the mall can be expanded eastward. John Lewis will get a Waitrose supermarket, and there will be shops along North Hanover St.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development