Harry Bell's Secret Geometry/ley lines question

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Harry Bell's Secret Geometry/ley lines question

Postby DoraTheExplorer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:26 am

Hello. I have just recently joined the forum and was wondering if I could pick your brains. I've been reading about Harry Bell's book about Glasgow's Secret Geometry and I wondered if the lines he plots from the Necropolis are actual ley lines with energy that could be dowsed, or if they are purely sightlines between high geographical points that would have helped early settlers find their way across the wooded Clyde Valley?
thanks. dora
on a scale of Wick to 10
DoraTheExplorer
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Harry Bell's Secret Geometry/ley lines question

Postby Sharon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:43 am

Dora the Explorer - the best way to find the answer to that question is to cut yourself some dowsing rods and go and find out!! :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Grahame » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:58 am

Sounds like one for me, this..!
Harry was never convinced about dowsing, and in his mind the lines were purely sightlines of aligned sites - hence his name 'the Glasgow Network of Aligned Sites'. They are not just highpoints though - there are other mark points along the lines as well, and there are also many sites that many dowsers consider 'sacred' or power spots.

In answer to your question, you can certainly dowse Harry's lines, and I have done so many times on various alignments of his. Some of them are more energetic than others and will dowse as wide as 5 or 6m across; others are less energetic and quite narrow.

This is also a perfect opportunity for me to plug my dowsing workshop at Ladywell Crystals & Healing in the High Street on Saturday 10 March, at which we will be dowsing a couple of Harry's leys from the Necropolis. Come along and try it for yourself!

Grahame
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:57 pm

explore
66 films, 2 lives and a secret revealed: Follow in my footsteps to discover Glasgow's Secret Geometry

http://www.devilsplantation.co.uk/blog/?p=603

http://www.devilsplantation.co.uk/

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DoraTheExplorer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am

Thank you so much for these helpful responses. I would love to cut myself some dowsing rods and find out but with little children I don't have a lot of spare time so was hoping that someone more adventurous/dedicated might have investigated already. And they have: Grahame and May, the two brightest stars in my galaxy at the moment as I find out more about the secret geometry. I have already signed up for the workshop, Grahame (I am the person who emailed you about my writing in January - I met Samantha as you suggested and was thoroughly inspired), and am very much looking forward to it. May, I am in awe of your project and your adventurous spirit. Very alien to a suburbanite like myself but something I very much aspire to. I love the thought of going off on derives and investigations of the landscape but can't get away from the absolutely ingrained fear that accompanies being a woman walking alone.
on a scale of Wick to 10
DoraTheExplorer
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Grahame » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:41 am

Just a wee update on this thread as it crops up on searches... see this announcement on the 'Druid Glasgow' thread for some exciting news.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Grahame » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am

My new book, 'Glasgow's Secret Geometry - the World of Harry Bell' will be published on 29 April. This is a 40th-anniversary edition of GSG and includes Forgotten Footsteps, Leyline Quest, other never-before-seen articles and letters of Harry's, additional commentaries and analysis by Kenny Brophy, May Miles Thomas and myself; and a complete listing of sites and a directory of alignments.

The book launch event is on Saturday 27 April at CCA Glasgow, and will include a rare screening of May Miles Thomas' film 'The Devil's Plantation'.

Places are limited due to the capacity of the cinema so you will need to reserve your spot here. I'm funding all of this out of my own pocket, so any donations to help cover costs would be much appreciated.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:20 pm

Grahame, I would love to but can’t commit as I’m having a double Hydro cortisone injection on Weds 24th April so I would be gambling on my mobility and being able to get there from 400 miles away.

As a practicing engineer I had the privelige of being tutored by Bill MacDonald a formidable intellectual in the world of surveying, he would never forgive me if I didn’t make the effort (I didn’t know he was formidable and he taught me Simpsons Rule)
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:50 pm

Henrysix wrote: he taught me Simpsons Rule)

I had to look up Simpson's Rule, and I still don't understand it! If he could explain that in simple terms, he must have been truly formidable!
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:24 pm

Method of measuring Land area, Bill waited for the muddiest, wettest, windies day and sent us out with EDM and chain, 30m tapes to measure a local field, when we finished 6hours later we presented our measures (mostly done by trialateration!
My group was 84% accurate, Bill, warm & dry calmly got out his OS divided it up into regions and 10 minutes later having applied Simpsons Rule gave us his figure which was 99.3% accurate, he was chuckling as he did it, I learnt a lesson that day.
I always thought I was swift arithmetically and algebraically, Bill was legendary, I used to pick him up and drop him off occasionally in Overstone, he was always a gentleman and proud I knew him
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:43 pm

Graham - Bills own formula for Simpsons was Area (A) = TO + FE, so area 2x odd variants + 4x even variants divided by the number of variants you had split it into, Engineers are generally good with numbers, stats, percentages and I count myself as being more than competent, whilst I would be doing the calculation in my head Bill would be writing it down on the Blackboard! He was just wired that way!
I don’t know about you but my dad could calculate the odds on his chosen horses, how much was win and how much tax was to be paid (this was before you could pay the tax with your bet)
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects