Glasgow Parks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Parks

Postby Autolycus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:46 am

Mori wrote:Mansfield Park Partick was being refurbed, any one know if the redevelopment stage has been completed ?

I believe phase 1 is complete but fundraising for phase 2 is struggling.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:12 pm

#59 : Blairtummock Park, Easterhouse
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:35 pm

#60 : Duchray Park, Riddrie

A small park this one and a bit hidden away really - not much in it other than some trees, a couple of benches and accompanying bins.

No sign even though it's on GCC's official list.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 pm

#61 : Croftcroighn Park, Ruchazie
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:08 pm

#62 : Budhill Park, Springboig

Another one from the official GCC list that doesn't have a sign.

I used to live not too far from this park but never took my kids to its playpark because of the regular presence of unleashed "devil dogs", not to mention their ned owners. It has a football pitch that is fairly regularly used for organised games; rather them than me as you can't walk more than about 10ft in any direction without having to sidestep a pile of shit - the locals obviously don't believe in pooper scoopers.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:16 pm

#63 : Sandyhills Park

Again, on the official GCC list but no sign (at least not as far as I'm aware).

Some sections of the park are currently fenced off because Scottish Water have recently constructed a tank sewer through it as part of a local flood alleviation scheme. The fencing will remain in place until after re-seeding of the affected areas has been undertaken in the spring.

Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:#60 : Duchray Park, Riddrie

A small park this one and a bit hidden away really - not much in it other than some trees, a couple of benches and accompanying bins.

No sign even though it's on GCC's official list.

Duchray "park" is a wee haven during the day
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:57 pm

#64 : Ashtree Park, behind Pollokshaws Library. The redbrick building on the right is the former public baths and washhouse on Ashtree St. This building is physically attached to the library although not, as far as I can make out, part of it.

#65 : Cardonald Park, which in fact is almost completely cut off from Cardonald itself by the M8 Motorway.

Cardonald Park again, looking west, with the former Luma Lightbulb factory in the background, now of course residential.

This is where Pirie Park used to be, from which the newly built primary school has taken its name. I remember it as a pretty much neglected piece of grassland extending from Langlands Road to the playing fields behind Govan High School. It always gave me the impression that it had seen better days, but that those days had been pretty much in the dim and distant past, judging by the state of the place.

A Google Earth view which shows what has become of Pirie Park. This park is on Josef’s list at the beginning of this thread, with an asterisk denoting it doesn’t appear in the 1994 GGC list of Local Parks. I think it’s safe to say that it should now be deleted from the list.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:54 pm

viceroy wrote:This is where Pirie Park used to be, from which the newly built primary school has taken its name. I remember it as a pretty much neglected piece of grassland extending from Langlands Road to the playing fields behind Govan High School. It always gave me the impression that it had seen better days, but that those days had been pretty much in the dim and distant past, judging by the state of the place.

I'm pretty sure there was a bowling green/club at the Langlands Road end of Pirie Park. By my reckoning, it would have been roughly to the left of the new school entrance in V's photo. I think it had probably been disused for some time as I don't recall seeing any sort of activity around it on the few occasions I've been along that section of Langlands Road over the years.

Does anyone know if it was part of the park or if it was a club in itself?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Glesga_Steve, if you look at the Google Earth picture there is a bowling green just to the right of the new school. As far as I know this club is still active. Is this maybe what you were thinking of?
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:26 pm

viceroy wrote:Glesga_Steve, if you look at the Google Earth picture there is a bowling green just to the right of the new school. As far as I know this club is still active. Is this maybe what you were thinking of?

No V, I don't think so but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

I could have sworn there was a bowling green/club on Langlands Road, to the immediate left of Langlands Road Garage (white-roofed building that occupies the corner 'plot' to the north-east of the new school) as you look at it in your Google Earth image.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm not going mad after all. Thankfully, Bing Maps is not as up to date as Google Maps...

This is what I was thinking of.
Larger

That looks like the remains of a couple of bowling greens to me. I'm guessing the building (or rather, the remains of one) to the top-left of the greens was the clubhouse.

Perhaps the original site of the bowling club now situated at the bottom of Drumoyne Avenue?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Seeing the Bing Maps picture has jogged my memory and now I remember this as well. But whether or not they actually were bowling greens at one time I really couldn't say.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:24 pm

#66 : Penilee Park
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glasgogirl » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:19 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:#25 : Barrachnie Park - Mount Vernon Avenue, Barrachnie (GSV)

There used to be a GCC sign at the entrance shown in the above image. No idea where the sign has gone to but def still a GCC park.

My mothers house is right next to that park... the driveways are just about 15ft apart, so if your pic extended a bit on the left hand side, it'd include the wall along the front of my mum's house.
Glasgogirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects