Molendinar Burn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Molendinar Burn

Postby Fossil » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:07 pm

Theres a small stream or burn beside the great eastern hotel on Duke Street is this the Molendinar Burn? and does it go all the way down to the Clyde? Has anyone followed it from start to finish?

i've a couple of photo's here
http://www.glasgowphotos.0catch.com/
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:34 pm

Hi Foss
Yes, this is the Molendinar Burn, which runs from Hogganfield Loch, through Alexandra Park, down Wishart Street between the Cathedral and the Necropolis, crosses Duke Street, goes under Glasgow Green (where it merges with the Camlachie Burn) and flows into the Clyde just south of the High Court buildings. It is culverted for almost its entire length, so the bit you saw is a rarity. A walk along its length would be easy (its around three or four miles long) but would need an old map for guidance - or a dowser! I'm up for a wander along the "banks" if anyone else is.
Best wishes
Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Dowsing

Postby jim » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:48 pm

Hi Ronnie
I've been toying with the idea of dowsing the Molendinar (and others). Perhaps we could get the Scottish Society of Dowsers onto the case? Or bend some coat-hangers and try it ourselves? What do you think?
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:17 pm

Hi Jim
Why don't we decide on a date and time, and invite whoever we think would be interested, including the official dowsers. Maybe we could have some people dowsing, some with old maps, some with new maps and some just guessing ...
Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:39 pm

My grampa used to always have scraps of wire lying around, he was always digging for water. I don't know how successful he was, but farmers still use these guys (dowsers) all the time. If they don't do it themselves anyway.

What about sending some people out with gps's as well to track how successful they are at dowsing??? (ok, i have a thing about gps at the moment). But it would be interesting to see the paths people take when dowsing laid out over maps.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:34 pm

Sounds good!

Have you found a source for the GPS?

I can try to contact the Dowsers. Although I might be inclined just to find instructions and make my own? I used to have a fancy one but it got lost/borrowed.

I suppose old maps could be accessed at the Mitchell. (they will make copied of some for a fee I think?)

Of course there is the tunnel entrance at the Great Eastern . . .
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:03 am

I know graeme has a GPS... he'd probaly be quite into this as well. (i really want one)

I didn't know you got fancy dowsing rods...my grampa always just used bits of fencing wire!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

DOWSING

Postby jim » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:40 pm

There are hundreds of ways to dowse. The most popular way is using L-rods. These are simply bent wires, which can be pointed in the direction of the area of interest. You can make a simple set of L-rods by getting two metal coat hangers and cutting off the long wires at the bottoms. Bend one end of each at about four inches into a 90 degree L shape. The small end is the handle and the long end is the pointer. Take a plastic soda straw and cut it in half. Place one piece over the smaller end of each L-rod. This will be the sleeve of the handle, which enables the L-rod to swivel freely without being affected by the muscles of the hand. Hold a L-rod in each hand, pointing toward the object to be measured. Be sure the L-rod is horizontal to the ground.

Found this on the net. Sounds easy. Why don't we all make one and meet up sometime soon for a testing session?
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:04 pm

sounds very easy indeed! God, i long for getting light evenings back! I suppose you could dowse in the dark...

so i suppose that leaves weekends?

but sounds like fun and we should have a bash.

Without digging how do you know if you have found water...or anything?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:28 pm

i like to join you all.
when?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:49 pm

The Molendinar can be seen near Hogganfield Loch (I wrote this sumwhere before???) Strathclyde Uni rugby pitches I think (Avenue End Rd at Cumbernauld Rd, Millerston).
Theres also a big plaque marking it in dennistoun. Its on the wall seperating the road from the train lines in Alexandra Park St at the Blochairn junction of the M8... just up from Alexandra Parade.

...and theres always
http://www.old-maps.co.uk

they have a map of 1865
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Cardno » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:58 pm

Me too...i remember watching sum CBBC thing about those bent wires years ago.
Cardno
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ronnie » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:08 pm

When, indeed, Foss. A week on Saturday?

I'll bring the maps, Jim. If I don't already have good ones, I'll get them from the Mitchell.

Good idea about the GPS, Sharon, but we can only tell if they are right within 10 feet.

Any other ideas for finding the route? Remote viewing, dreaming, necromancy, some esoteric shamanic practice? Or phoning Scottish Water?

Best, Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby partickular » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:51 pm

Only know a wee bit of its route, and that's in the Bridgeton area. If you go up Fordneuk street from the London Rd end, on the right (ie the east) there is a Glasgow City Council vehicle pound. Immediately to its north there is an interesting old building (which I know nothing about and is worth discussing on here in its own right). Between the pound and this building I'm sure the Molendinar burn runs along a culvert, and then under the old Bridgeton bus depot.

HTH :)
partickular
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jim » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:33 pm

Don't think I can make it Saturday after next. What about the Sunday?
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects