Help save the Govanhill Picture House!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:35 pm

I endorse that comment...

I thought it was link to actual poll at first "Click here to vote", and almost clicked without realising there were two live links.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Keep an eye on this evening's Reporting Scotland (Mon 27th) and some of you may spot a familiar face in a story about the Govanhill Pic House....!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:54 pm

gap74 wrote:Keep an eye on this evening's Reporting Scotland (Mon 27th) and some of you may spot a familiar face in a story about the Govanhill Pic House....!

wonder who that was? ;)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:03 pm

"... a little piece of the orient amidst the tenements of Govanhill..."

She stole my best line for the voiceover, dammit!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RandomFactor » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:31 pm

Has there been anymore progress on this?

I was speaking to a chap from the GHA a few weeks back, and he said the flats idea did still seem to be on the table, but at the same time wasn't really moving forward.

The flats don't look ideal, but i really doubt anyone is going to use it for anything else, the building has slowly crumbled away over my life time (I'm a Govanhill boy, born and bred), and i can't remember it ever being in what I'd call active use.

Maybe saving the front is the best we can hope for in this case, rather than forcing the building to be kept in it's current form, when it looks like that will lead to it eventually just collapsing into rubble, with nothing salvagable?

Hmmm.
therandomfactor.redbubble.com
RandomFactor
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nodrog » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:32 pm

No progress that I'm aware of - I've no idea why it's taking GCC so bloody long to make a decision, one way or another (this has been draggin on since 2005). I competely agree that the building sitting empty deteriorating is in no-ones interests.

The reason we kicked up such a fuss about this is simple: if you want to demolish a listed building, you can. Basically the one and only thing you have to do to get permission is show evidence that it's not viable in its current form.

There was no evidence provided at all with this application.
If it gets passed anyway, it sets a very dangerous precedent indeed. There's no point having listed buildings if the council is not going to bother following the rules.

As for facade retention, it is probably now the best way forward for this building - but the scheme currently proposed is bloody unsightly and re-uses so little of the original building they might as well not bother...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:56 am

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:37 am

very sad to hear this.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:17 pm

Thats all Govanhill needs.... more flats.... as many as possible :roll:

1. Building flats on the former Jet petrol station on Victoria road.
2. Larkfield bus station to close in the future and flats to be built there as well.

Squeeze as many people as possible into the smallest space. :roll:
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Aye.
Woe betide people should have houses when we can leave derelict buildings for SLB's to take photos of.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RandomFactor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:31 pm

The Evening Times had a piece on it a couple of days ago, pretty much confirming the demolition of the back of the building.
therandomfactor.redbubble.com
RandomFactor
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nodrog » Tue May 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Quite a long (nearly 15 mins!) heated debate on the future of the building on today's Radio Scotland 'Scotland Live' program, featuring our very own Gap74 :)

You can listen again here (starts about 20 mins into the program):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscot ... tlandlive/

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Help save the Govanhill Picture House!

Postby mrsam » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 pm

BUMP :) any new news people whats the latest/ last news?

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Last we heard, the developer still hadn't paid the contribution he was required to make to the council as a condition of planning permission because the development had no greenspace provision - this was a figure of £66,400 to be allocated to upgrading nearby greenspace such as Govanhill Park.

In the current economic climate, it seems unlikely that this development will get off the ground for a while yet, and the planning permission is only valid for 5 years, so there may well be hope yet that some more sympathetic redevelopment might come along in the interim.

Incidentally, since permission was granted in Dec 2006, the developer has since gone on to be elected as an SNP councillor for the area, and sits on.... the planning committee! I was amused to hear him complain about the redevelopment of the Odeon in Renfield St when it came up in front of the committee as he considered the new-build element to be an out-of-scale clash with the retained element of the cinema facade....

Pots and kettles....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Thanks!

This place may yet become the HG secret base where all of the badges are made and stored.........

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development