Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby vinny » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:58 pm

Big T's in Pollokshaws Rd at the junction of Allison St.

There is/was a record/cd stall in the church at the corner of Gibson St and University Ave.

I'm sure there was a wee record store in the late 80s off Dumbarton Rd in Partick, could've been Dowanhill St?
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:40 pm

vinny wrote:There is/was a record/cd stall in the church at the corner of Gibson St and University Ave.

That'll probably be Vinyl Freaks that Dexter mentioned on the previous page, it moved to St. George's Road then disappeared
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:20 pm

I'm sure there was a wee record store in the late 80s off Dumbarton Rd in Partick, could've been Dowanhill St?

Yes. Revolution, Revolver or something. I should have bought all the Blue Note albums they had when some poor jazzer died or emigrated.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:11 am

Jupiter-Returns wrote:Dexter - Bomba was at the Hope st enterance to Central Station, and Notorious was on Union St, near the wee Charles Rennie Mac Hotel, it was turned into Kushi, now I don't know what it has been turnied into.

Bomba was also in the basement of Ebony (clothes shop) in West Regent St for a while. Think it's now a pub.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:33 pm

cheesemonster wrote:
vinny wrote:There is/was a record/cd stall in the church at the corner of Gibson St and University Ave.

That'll probably be Vinyl Freaks that Dexter mentioned on the previous page, it moved to St. George's Road then disappeared

:( They had tons of vinyl, too.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

Yes. Revolution, Revolver or something. I should have bought all the Blue Note albums they had when some poor jazzer died or emigrated.

Realistic Records IIRC
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Record Shops

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:10 pm

Thanks for that JayKay. i knew it started with RE.

I bought Talking heads Love Goes to buildng on fire and a Prince Buster 12" in the late 70's from a record shop in Gordon Street or St. Vincent Street. Nort side of the street anyway.

The original 23rd Precinct had a discount shop near the Electric Gardens in Sauchiehall Street
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Record Shops

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:19 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

I bought Talking heads Love Goes to buildng on fire and a Prince Buster 12" in the late 70's from a record shop in Gordon Street or St. Vincent Street. Nort side of the street anyway.

Dex

Bloggs was on St Vicent Street North side just round the corner of Renfield Street. I regularly visited this shop and remember buying Let It Be in 1977.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Sounds Likely.

Mike Mclean former Strathclyde uni DJ and now on YOUR Radio Sunday evening had West end records for a while and had a discount place on the Gallowgate down from Ritas.

I can't recall this mob

"We originally released this album on our own label, RICKETY RACKETY RECORDS The label was named after our 'Barras Market' record stall." Mrs. Bruce's Boys

And the reason why Revover moved to a maller stall under a new anme and run by his wife.

http://www.bootcity.org/archive/index.php/t-2263.html
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:17 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:...........................
Steve Kelly still runs in Search of the Lost Chord although he probably does better sales with the Piercing business. He sells stuff on GEMM.

Only the 'collectible' stuff is on GEMM http://www.lostchord.co.uk .....................the ground floor area of the shop is still all browse and buy.

The piercing side of the business was discontinued a number of years back.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:51 am

Thanks Onny

I was in a month ago and picked up The 5th Dimension for £3 with a decent version of Jt. Walker's What does it take.

I was looking at a stick label on an old album and it had "James Kerr" which is now a HiFi outlet but must have been a music shop sometime. I'm trying to remember if they sold records in Woodlands road.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:17 pm

Got many a bargain from West End Records. This row of shops are now well demolished including the Sovereign Boot Co. nextdoor :(

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

West End Records

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:14 am

This was a chart return shop just before the introduction of computerisation. You could tell by the staff wearing brand new T shirts every day, advance promo copies , 12" singles for the price of a 7", and a big box of bargain singles that never made the charts.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:33 am

chipsteak wrote:and my persoonal fave on the subject....

"Music And Light" in Cathcart Road, Crosshill. Used to stock records alongside electrical equipment. Actually its still there, trying to sell 20 year old stock, and a tiny selection of even older records that the couldn't shift in 1973. Its a time warp. I actually bought my first record there in 1982 back when they got weekly stock in.

wow is that still there, i used to buy my vynil from there for while during the late 70s. :)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hauzen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:09 pm

I remember the halcyon days of Missing well, with the store on Great Western Road and the one at the Trongate where I almost got my hands on the holy grail that is Wendy James' solo album, however sadly (mercifully?) the bloke behind the counter couldn't locate the CD to go in the case and I'm still searching for it...
Hauzen
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects