Cranhill

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cranhill

Postby rdt2 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:26 am

Since I lived in the area for my first 20-odd years, I've been editing the existing article for 'Cranhill' on wikipedia. I'm gradually adding links but I'd appreciate it if anyone has any images, etc (for which they own the copyright or which are out of copyright) that would improve the article. The Cranhill Water Tower in particular would be good, and any historical stuff about the area (links to Shettleston, Carntyne, Ruchazie, Monkland Canal, 'Sugarolly Mountains', etc).

The article is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranhill. You can either add stuff yourself or, given permission, I can do it.

Cheers,

Ron.
rdt2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Good article Ron. I went to St Gregory's and didn't know it was previously called Lightburn. Could you perhaps be thinking of St Andrew's?

Cranhill Park is a complete state now, I remember when bowls were played regularly there with a good turnout. I wonder how long before it's sold off for housing!
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rdt2 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:06 pm

The first of the local secondary schools was definitely Lightburn, across the Edinburgh Rd, which became St Gregory's when Cranhill Sec was built. There are pix on Friends Untied to confirm that - and I can remember the change. I'm not sure what happened after I moved away - a new R.C secondary was built on waste ground in Cranhill itself but whether that took the name St Gregory's or St Andrews, I don't know.

I attended Cranhill briefly as a pupil then got a bursary to Allan Glen's. Sometime later I taught at Cranhill and a mate taught at St Gregory's. We still see each other in t'pub. You'd think that between us we'd get the history right.
rdt2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rdt2 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:32 pm

Right, after more digging, here's what I think happened:

Lightburn (Torphin Cres, Carntyne) built an a non-denominational secondary.

Cranhill (Startpoint St, Cranhill) built as ND sec - Lightburn becomes St Gregory's RC sec

New St Gregory's RC (Crowlin Cres, Cranhill) built - old St Gregory building becomes St Andrews.

Both Cranhill and St Gregory's demolished, St Andrews remains (as at 2003). Question is, where do the non-RC weans in Cranhill now go? Smithycroft?
rdt2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:38 pm

The building of St Andrews (formerly "the Gregg") was demolished a couple of years back now with a new school built on the pitches. I've got various pics in and around Cranhill somehwere, will dig them out for you
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi rdt2

I have posted some photos of Ruchazie which you are free to use if they are of any good to you.

I have a couple of poor quality shots that have houses in the background of Cranhill. I will post them here when I can.

Being a Ruchazie boy obviously my interest is here. I have contacted a couple of people I know requesting their assistanc with any info or photos if I come across anything relating to Cranhill I will pass it on.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rdt2 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:56 am

Thanks all. I notice there's a Ruchazie article in Wikipedia but I don't know enough to expand it.

ron.
rdt2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Cranhill

Postby tarzan-bridge » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:28 am

rdt2 wrote:Since I lived in the area for my first 20-odd years, I've been editing the existing article for 'Cranhill' on wikipedia. I'm gradually adding links but I'd appreciate it if anyone has any images, etc (for which they own the copyright or which are out of copyright) that would improve the article. The Cranhill Water Tower in particular would be good, and any historical stuff about the area (links to Shettleston, Carntyne, Ruchazie, Monkland Canal, 'Sugarolly Mountains', etc).

The article is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranhill. You can either add stuff yourself or, given permission, I can do it.

Cheers,

Ron.

Hi
This is from a 1913 map, interestingly it refers to Cranhill as "Carnhill" which may be a misspelling, but would also make etymological sense as a "double naming", part Brythonic, part English.
Carntyne then would be the "stream of the carn" and might refer to the Lightburn.
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:47 pm

Some photos from about 1978-80.

Taken from Gartcraig Road, Ruchazie
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

M8 Ruchazie/Cranhill

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:56 pm

Sorry about the quality of the second photo. I will try and get a better shot at some point in the future.

These should have gone on the PastPresent topic.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby slow fade » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:58 pm

Great photos.
Noted in the second one Bankend street on the left has been raised. Street where 6 of the extended Doyle family died in the Ice cream murders.

Ive stayed in both Ruchazie and Cranhill so walked over that bridge thousand of times.Not the kinda place where youd wanna hang about though as its between schemes and therefore prime ned fighting territory.
slow fade
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Hi slow fade

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow.

I lived in Ruchazie just over the bridge in Gartcraig Road. If you look for the Ruchazie topic there is a phot I posted of the other end of Bankend Street. On it you can see the house where the Doyle family lived.

Althought there was regular fights on the bridge between Ruchazie and Cranhill it wasn't that bad an area until about the 80's.

Hope to see more posts from you on either this topic or the Ruchazie one.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby slow fade » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 am

Alex Glass wrote:Hi slow fade

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow.

I lived in Ruchazie just over the bridge in Gartcraig Road. If you look for the Ruchazie topic there is a phot I posted of the other end of Bankend Street. On it you can see the house where the Doyle family lived.

Althought there was regular fights on the bridge between Ruchazie and Cranhill it wasn't that bad an area until about the 80's.

Hope to see more posts from you on either this topic or the Ruchazie one.

So your a "lowender "then???
I was at the other end overlooking those water towers and the lovely vision that is Craigend.
I'll check out the Ruchazie topic later.Cheers.

Heres a link with more info and a few decent photos of Cranhill.Apologies if its been posted already.

http://www.glaswegians.org/photos/tag/cranhill
slow fade
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:05 am

so your a highender what a shame ::):

I have seen this site posted before but its good to get a reminder.

When did you live in Ruchazie/Cranhill?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:36 am

What is known among you Cranhillians (new word there) about Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC fame?

For instance, is it known where the Youngs lived in Cranhill or what school they went to? Any local anecdotes?
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)