I felt old in the Garage

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:54 pm

i've been in once - tried twice before that to get told:

Too drunk - hadn't touched a drop
regulars only - let my friends in who also hadn't been before

the time i got in i was drunk - could hardly stand!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lellerina » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:45 pm

cheesemonster wrote:Mind you if the poster of the original message is a girl and is having trouble getting in/writing blogs about it then it must be worse than ever

I am a girl and it wasn't that I had issues getting in. I had issues once I was in. The bitchy looking girls searching your bag, the guys checking where we had been etc etc.

The worst thing about it was feeling old even though im a mere 23 in three weeks.
'The attempt to gain knowledge of the past is also a journey into the world of the dead'....
Carlo Ginzberg
lellerina
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Roxburgh » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:30 pm

My 19 year old daughter goes there from time to time so it is definitely too old for me. I think that her main complaint is getting in and out for a cigarette (she should stop anyway) :roll:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:22 pm

George Bowie (Grandfather of the Clyde DJ) owned the building and several other properties. It was the Electric Garden and Shuffles before it was The Mayfair.

Coukld someone pop over to Glasgow Guide and ask what it was called before that.

I suggest you get into sixties soul and head for Goodfoot this Friday night. They let me in so you will be a cert for entry.

Similar gigs include Friday Street at The Brunswick Hotel on the last Friday of the month.

Head for Vegas at the Ferry on Saturday 12th August.

Superfly is on the first and third Saturdays of the month at the Woodside Social Club and if you're into Indie try the National Pop League on a Friday at the same venue.

however if you insist on Cheesey venues may I suggest Fury Murry's and that you obtain a fake student ID as you will be asked for that for looking old.

BTW if a bouncer tells you they will fetch the police insist they do. At the Licensing board the police will inform the board how many times they have been called to the premises. That'll please their gaffer.

If you seriously want to get into The Garage you need to get there earlier. If you get there after midnight explain you work in the trade. Make it plausible. No more than two or three in a group and walk in as if you should be there.

If you are knocked back you've got a choice. You can crack a joke say highlighting your predicament of being condemned to a night at the Savoy. They may change their minds. Or use my burn your bridges ploy of giving them dogs abuse, without swearing and retreating to the pavement. It does get to your fellow human beings and it means no loss of face to you as they ain't gonna hit you. They have very poor memories for faces so you could still get in the following week.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:23 pm

bouncers at the garage are the worst ive come across, last time me and 3 mates weren't let in because we aren't students, usually it's just the 'not tonight boys' and once because i was overdressed. i think i had a shirt on.

was knocked back from the shed several times till someone told me the way to get past these bawbags when they start the interrogation (what's it to you where i've been?) is to stare them straight in the eye when talking and never look away, or at your shoes etc. seems to work not too bad either.
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:50 pm

They wouldn't let me in because i farted in the queue.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:34 pm

Jupiter-Returns wrote:They wouldn't let me in because i farted in the queue.

Its a better reason than most of the others they give :wink:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:42 am

I've been to Goodfoot it's a very groovy night. I may have been twice, has ever been at The Sub Club?
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:46 pm

Oh yes I remember Radio City as I spend practically every Friday night there in the late 80/early 90s. The entrance was round the back of the Garage and up the fire escape. I recall that they would regularly play Loose by the Stooges and Slip inside this house by the 13th floor elevators (which is a complete bugger to dance to). Probably my favourite club. We would start the night at the Variety and end at the pizza shop round the corner.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:56 pm

doonunda wrote:
I've been to Goodfoot it's a very groovy night. I may have been twice, has ever been at The Sub Club?

I think it started at The Sub Club and it has been held in The RAFA club, The Bedsit at Park Gardens, some god for saken basement lounge at club in Queen street and has been at The riverside club for the last four years or so. It's still groovy and is on tonight at midnight (entry £5) . There's a free warm up at McChuill's in the High Street.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:56 pm

Does anyone remember the little club that used to run upstairs when it was The Mayfair? It was called Radio City on a Friday night and Helter Skelter on a Saturday.
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:46 pm

doonunda wrote:Does anyone remember the little club that used to run upstairs when it was The Mayfair? It was called Radio City on a Friday night and Helter Skelter on a Saturday.

I remember Helter Skelter being on at The Venue on a Friday night. That's the club 'round the back of The Garage which is now called G2. The club changed it's name to Eruption after a while.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I think it started at The Sub Club

Yeah, it did. The first time i ever went to the Subbie was for Goodfoot.
dazza
-
-

Postby dazza » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:54 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I suggest you get into sixties soul and head for Goodfoot this Friday night. They let me in so you will be a cert for entry

Always meant to ask - as a Northern Soul aficionado, do you ever go to Divine at the Art School D St.C?
dazza
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:00 pm

For a whole number of stupid reasons ,no. But i do know Andrew and he's guested at Goodfoot. These days it clashes with his Modern Lovers club in Edinburgh.

i know a number of Friday Street afficianados head up to GSA on a Saturday night.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:16 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:i know a number of Friday Street afficianados head up to GSA on a Saturday night.

I'm sure i'll know most of them then :wink:
dazza
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)