Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:40 pm

HollowHorn wrote:I've just noticed your loose collar, you old dog! Hahahahahahahaha.

I had to crop that pic quite severely, didn't want to get banned :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 pm

41 Crownpoint Road, Glasgow.

I like Denistoun, and Ashton Lane.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:23 am

Really like: Maryhill, the Green, West End generally. Square Yard for breakfast on a Sunday morning.
Dislike: Nowhere really. But agree that the St Enoch Centre is a blot. Don't know the southside very well. It feels a bit soul-less.
Barrackroomlawyer? I find your posting quite offensive. I don't care if you are Glaswegian or not. Scrap that - very offensive :x
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:03 am

I like the area i'm working in just now - Jordanhill campus of Strathclyde Uni (pics coming soon!)

The area i live in (Garrowhill) is nice enough and i get a view of the campsies from my bedroom window
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:45 am

Best - Kibble palace goldfish pond - hopefully the refurb will keep them.

Worst - Bridgton followed closely by easyJet departure gates, Glasgow Airport
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:45 pm

The approch into Central Station is a disgrace with the graffiti, & run down buildings everywhere, it's like the Bronx. What does that say to visitors ?

I went down that way the other day with the aim of taking a few photos around Nelson St, but I just stayed on the bus. My self preservation (cowardly ?? :? ) streak kicked in, I took one look and thought "no thanks".

( :oops: A quick edit to rescue some machoness, I wouldn't have minded walking around the area, but flashing a fancy camera around would maybe be asking for it)

I don't like the modern buildings on the north bank of the Clyde either, starting to look too much like London.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:59 am

glasgowken wrote:The approch into Central Station is a disgrace with the graffiti, & run down buildings everywhere, it's like the Bronx. What does that say to visitors ?

Wait till you see the approach to Barcelona, diffrint class.:wink:

glasgowken wrote:I went down that way the other day with the aim of taking a few photos around Nelson St, but I just stayed on the bus. My self preservation (cowardly ?? :? ) streak kicked in, I took one look and thought "no thanks".

Thats what friends are for, gies a shout :!:

glasgowken wrote:I don't like the modern buildings on the north bank of the Clyde either, starting to look too much like London.

Yikes, controversy, I'm offski :!:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:25 am

The approch into Central Station is a disgrace with the graffiti, & run down buildings everywhere, it's like the Bronx. What does that say to visitors ?

You get that approaching the city from any direction. Its as if the worst areas have been specially positioned along the line, the better ones being further away...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:10 pm

BarrackroomLawyer wrote: And up the flagpole of Queeens' Park wher e I knocked fuck out of some xxxx cunt.

Who was that? a punter who wiz refusin tae pay ye?
Ho ho ho!
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:13 pm

The Clyde waterfront is my worst bit of Glasgow. When will the city fathers realise that trees, concrete walkways, arty farty wee sculptures, fancy dan bridges and fairy lights in the trees are not enough to encourage people to spend time there?

The Clyde waterfront needs pubs, restaurants and shops, preferably as close to the water as possible. Do that and you'll get the hordes spending time by the river like Dublin or Prague.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:40 am

The Clyde waterfront needs pubs

The last thing Scotland needs is pubs ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:17 am

Schiehallion wrote:The Clyde waterfront is my worst bit of Glasgow. When will the city fathers realise that trees, concrete walkways, arty farty wee sculptures, fancy dan bridges and fairy lights in the trees are not enough to encourage people to spend time there?

The Clyde waterfront needs pubs, restaurants and shops, preferably as close to the water as possible. Do that and you'll get the hordes spending time by the river like Dublin or Prague.

The river is nice, but you're right, there's not much to attract people there. I picked my dad up from a do at the Crowne Plaza by the Armadillo, and was struck by how nice it is down there. The modern buildings on the other side of the river (Science Centre et al) are really striking.

I'd have stopped to take a photo, but there were dozens of pissed schoolkids hanging about after their school dance! :roll:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Luco » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:22 am

Ally Doll wrote:
I'd have stopped to take a photo, but there were dozens of pissed schoolkids hanging about after their school dance! :roll:

surely there was the obligatory limo in sight! :o
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:28 am

Luco wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:

surely there was the obligatory limo in sight! :o

There was, yes. And Raoul of Diet Irn Bru fame(?!) was the special guest star at their prom!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:31 pm

One of my faves George Square when the weathers good,
especially at lunchtime. :oops:

The worst from a personal viewpoint is Govan especially
around the Shaw St./Rathlin St. area. A right shite-hole.
But I'd be quite happy to see the whole lot of it flattened.
:(
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)