Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Monument » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:55 pm

I did once strip off on Glasgow Green, but it was after the sun had gone down :oops: If I am planning on doing it again though Ken, i will let you know...
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:08 pm

Monument wrote:I did once strip off on Glasgow Green, but it was after the sun had gone down :oops: If I am planning on doing it again though Ken, i will let you know...

::): Naw! Aye?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Monument » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:11 pm

Yup. Totally out of character, I know. I got carried away 8O

Some guy on a bike went round twice for a better look and then I got embarrassed and put my clothes back on :oops:
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 pm

Monument wrote:Yup. Totally out of character, I know. I got carried away 8O

Some guy on a bike went round twice for a better look and then I got embarrassed and put my clothes back on :oops:

did you have a big book or magazine?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby AlanM » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 pm

Monument wrote:Yup. Totally out of character, I know. I got carried away 8O

By Strathclyde's finest?
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:25 pm

Are there any fig leaves around Glasgow Green :D
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:27 pm

glasgowken wrote:Are there any fig leaves around Glasgow Green :D

None left, Monument's taken them all ::):
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:07 pm

More favourites are the somewhat reviled on this thread Trongate, Gallowgate, Saltmarket.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mirad0rable » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:14 pm

I'm still getting used to Glasgow, but having come from England, I'm fascinated by and loving how much original architecture is left. so no favourite as of yet. Though sitting and relaxing by the Clyde is getting there.

The place I hate the most though is our communal stairs, 'the close' I believe. Freshly painted red walls were decimated by some kids taking white paint and daubing all sorts, rubbish strewn daily, and dog poop from one of the neighbours' dogs is a regular feature too. I'll try and get a pic. It used to be such a lovely place. Oh and not forgetting the kids who never ever get tired of the echo effect.
mirad0rable
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Gothic-Gal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 am

I love so many parts of Glasgow. I love the Necropolis but find it sad to see it being ruined by tagging and empty bottles everywhere. I like Great Western Road for shoping.
Most hated place would have to be Govan. I actually live in Govan so get to do the little hops to avoid the dog pooh every day (lucky me) and I get to experience the cheerful warmth of the shopping centre!!
God created the world in 7 days...a foolish brag I feel.
Gothic-Gal
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:06 pm

Gothic-Gal wrote: experience the cheerful warmth of the shopping centre!!

Don't you mean the Hopping Centre?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:06 pm

glasgowken wrote:Ah, understood. I think I got the wrong end of what you were saying, sorry :)

But that’s only part of the answer, GK. There is the "other" type of edginess about that general area, there are folk who wander the streets there who should really only come out at night. You must have seen them with their torn sannies & vacant stare; they always seem to be on a mission. There is something mildly thrilling about being in the proximity of the dark side. I suppose that may partly explain why so many of us meander the backstreets and alleyways of this city on our jack jones.
There is edginess too about entering a derelict building, the unknown, the gloom, the dilapidation, treading through someone's past life. Bordering on the voyeuristic, I wonder? There is certainly something quite sensuous & sexual about it, because it's forbidden perhaps?

As to my favourite part of the city, I'm with Monument, all the way. For many years, I never visited the East End, never had any reason to, and anyway, too many bad stories about the Gorbals, Denniston, Bridgeton, the Calton and the like. Furthest I ever got was the "Barras"
Joining this crowd & getting to know a little of Glasgow's history, I began to realize that this is where it began, Glasgow Cross, the four streets, I realized too, that the old East End is fast disappearing, there is a need, now, to capture what is left. I defy anyone who looks at the visual history of Glasgow Green to not be bombarded by echoes of the past when sauntering through that wonderful place.

I have posted this link before, but in case anyone missed it:
http://www.electricscotland.com/history ... _green.htm
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:37 pm

I did wonder if that's what she meant, but didn't want to assume too much :wink:
The thrill you talk about does have a hint of the old days, when the wealthy would organise trips around the slums :D

The "dark side" of Glasgow life isn't something that appeals to me very much, perhaps because i've been on the receiving end of a kicking, and still got the marks to prove it. That does make you more wary of possible dangerous situations :?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:32 pm

I've just noticed your loose collar, you old dog! Hahahahahahahaha.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:35 pm

Favourite bits ...loads...

Queens Park and Kelvingrove Park in all their Summer glory must be some of the best municipal parks in the UK.

Favourite bit must be the Kelvin gorge, lovely views right in the heart of the city particularly looking West from the Belmont Street bridge then followed by a walk along a beautiful river peppered with the tell tale signs of our Industrial and Railway heritage.

Quite a few interesting bridges on the way not least the Kirklee Bridge.

Aye, i'll go for that location as my favourite area. I've done that walk a few times and i have always discovered something new each time i have done it.

Least favourite area - anywhere there is a proliferation of our city's shell suited heroes.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)