Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:25 pm

I think part of the reason is the St Enoch Centre taking a lot of the fancy shops :( I hate that place with a vengence.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby b7ryn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:43 pm

I think Park is lovely. Also the arhitecture around that area and leading up to Charing Cross as well.
My real love/hate has to be Ashton Lane. I used to love it as a student and going out for a drink down there. It used to be full of students, locals and Uni workers, etc. Now it's been bought over by the Glasgow leisure tycoon and is over-run with folk who would normally have a "big Saturday night out" in town.
b7ryn
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:50 pm

b7ryn wrote:Now it's been bought over by the Glasgow leisure tycoon and is over-run with folk who would normally have a "big Saturday night out" in town.

Oh, they're not all owned by him. Some of the others are owned by Glasgow's preeminent licencing lawyer. This is of course entinrely unconnected to the fact that the pubs in Ashton Lane are always open for an hour or two more than anywhere else...

(I'd also like to know which Pubs have managed to avoid the glass ban. These people are not going to drink their Pinot Grigio out of plastic glasses...)
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:02 pm

One other is owned by a colleague of Glasgow's best Licensing Lawyer.
He also heads up the Ashton Lane Owners Owners association. I do not believe the bookie's boy is represented on this.

The Chip has more late licenses than anywhere in the Lane due to the extraordinary amount of festivals in the city which attract people who wish to drink in Ashton Lane in a pub with an open fire and food.

here's a feature on the co owner of Wodka Wodka

http://www.bestglasgowrestaurants.com/auchentoshan.php

I think There was an Evening Times Feature on the 100 influential people and a few of the owners are in it.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:18 am

BarrackroomLawyer wrote:Glasgow is pretty much a toilet full of wanks.

And that's coming from a Glaswegian.

Don't talk rubbish. When I did the West Highland Way recently I meet up with a couple of Belgian chaps and they told me they were amazed at how "beautiful" Glasgow was. They also said "Scottish people are too friendly for this world". So these guys who have backpacked all over Europe clearly didn't share your opinion.

Obviously there are problems in Glasgow but I've lived in London, Brighton and Liverpool and I've been almost everywhere else in the UK and Glasgow is the best out of the lot of them. No contest.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:24 am

Favourite parts of Glasgow include around Glasgow Cathedral and the Necropolis (well, the dead don't approach you for "spare change"). Also like Sauchiehall Street (top end) and Kelvingrove Park is quite nice but I hate Byres Road and all the shite that goes with it. Also, agree with others in hating Union Street, Central Station, St Enoch's Centre and Jamacia Street. Anderson is also a dump as is Bridgeton, The Barras and Parkhead.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:49 am

Favourite: As you might expect - Top end of Platform 11A at Central Station, right out over the Clyde.
Worst: St. Enoch Centre, because of what it replaced.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:01 pm

Favourite places: Sighthill, barras, Glasgow Green, Necropolis.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:09 pm

BarrackroomLawyer wrote:Glasgow is pretty much a toilet full of wanks.

And that's coming from a Glaswegian.

Ach, come on.

You've clearly interacted with a small minority of Glasgow my man.

You should get out more and get meeting, meeting, meeting!

Btw, I'm a wank.

All the best.

ta.

Thanks.

Nice one.

Spot on.

Sound as.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Most loved:

Queens Park at the top of the hill looking north with a picnic.
The fossil grove on a hot day as it's nice and cool in the shady bits.
Paddy's Market on a day it's not getting raided.

Dinna like:

All the lifeless estates built after about 1950.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:23 pm

glasgowken wrote:Monument's comment about Glasgow Green having an "edgy atmosphere" puzzled me a wee bit. I can't see the appeal of that feeling at all :? Can you explain further ?

Erm, I will try. I think I mean partly the way it is laid out. They haven't tried to make it pretty, by putting tiny, useless hedges everywhere and planting flowers in the pattern of the city crest or a bloody cuckoo clock, for example. It reminds me of the Tiergarten in Berlin - the sort of place you might stumble across a bunch of people sunbathing naked :)

Am I talking crap?
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

fav/hated glasgow places

Postby Craigyboy7 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:24 pm

My Favourite would have to be kelvingrove park at the top of the hill looking over the river kelvin
My most hated Trongate and the gallowgate there just full of wasters
Craigyboy7
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Monument » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:26 pm

By the way, totally agree with the posts on Union Street/Jamaica Street. God help the poor visitor that stumbles out the wrong door of Central Station. And the Rennie Mackintosh Hotel should be investigated under the Trades Description Act!
Last edited by Monument on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Monument wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Monument's comment about Glasgow Green having an "edgy atmosphere" puzzled me a wee bit. I can't see the appeal of that feeling at all :? Can you explain further ?

Erm, I will try. I think I mean partly the way it is laid out. They haven't tried to make it pretty, by putting tiny, useless hedges everywhere and planting flowers in the pattern of the city crest or a bloody cuckoo clock, for example. It reminds me of the Tiergarten in Berlin - the sort of place you might stumble across a bunch of people sunbathing naked :)

Am I talking crap?

Ah, understood. I think I got the wrong end of what you were saying, sorry :)

On that point, has anyone seen a nude sunbather in Glasgow ? Not that i'm looking of course, just wondering :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:49 pm

glasgowken wrote:Ah, understood. I think I got the wrong end of what you were saying, sorry :)

On that point, has anyone seen a nude sunbather in Glasgow ? Not that i'm looking of course, just wondering :wink:

I think there are too many tenement overlooking back gardens in my area for any outdoor nuddieness!

I did catch sight of a guy walking around his flat in the altogether when I was in a bar in Stirling, very distracting when I was trying to watch Scotland - Italy rugby match in the pub across the street! :roll: :wink:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)