Partick - Glasgow Central line

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Partick - Glasgow Central line

Postby vinny » Wed May 24, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi

I was viewing this map posted elsewhere and noticed that a line I regularly use appears to be missing:

http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/ea ... fm?id=1206

When the Central-bound train leaves Partick it takes the northern line of a y junction (where Yorkhill Station appears on the map), goes underground and bends south under the Queen St line to come out at Exhibition Centre (Stobcross on the map). I don't know if it shares part of the disused line that goes under Yorkhill from the old Partick Central station. Can anyone fill me in on when this line was built?
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu May 25, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi Vinney

This stretch of track was a partial new build from the 1970s. From the junction it is completely new until it reaches the old tunnel that ran from Exhibition Centre to Partick Central, it broke into the bore of that tunnel (somewhere under Kelvinhaugh Road) then followed it to Exhibition Centre. Have a search through other threads, this has been discussed quite extensively elsewhere
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Thu May 25, 2006 4:17 pm

Picked up the thread on tunnels. Many thanks!
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun May 28, 2006 8:05 am

Whilst on the subject I have 2 questions about this stretch of track

1. When travelling from Psrtick to Exhibition can anyone please tell me what the gap is that you see about quarter of the way into the tunnel on the right side of the train (you hardly notice it but for a bit of day light when passing).

2 When coming from Exhibition going toward Partick just as you leave Exhibition i've noticed a metal bar gate on the left side of the train set into the wall can anyone tell me what this might be?

Thanks

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun May 28, 2006 3:54 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:Whilst on the subject I have 2 questions about this stretch of track

1. When travelling from Psrtick to Exhibition can anyone please tell me what the gap is that you see about quarter of the way into the tunnel on the right side of the train (you hardly notice it but for a bit of day light when passing).

2 When coming from Exhibition going toward Partick just as you leave Exhibition i've noticed a metal bar gate on the left side of the train set into the wall can anyone tell me what this might be?

It's the same thing - it's an old ventilation shaft in the old part of the tunnel.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun May 28, 2006 4:51 pm

james73 wrote:
e2wufos1 wrote:Whilst on the subject I have 2 questions about this stretch of track

It's the same thing - it's an old ventilation shaft in the old part of the tunnel.

James H

Thanks James,

So am I right in thinking it has nothing to do with the line that ran from Botanic Gardens to the River Clyde and it's probably something to do with the days of steam railways?
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun May 28, 2006 5:27 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:
james73 wrote:

James H

Thanks James,

So am I right in thinking it has nothing to do with the line that ran from Botanic Gardens to the River Clyde and it's probably something to do with the days of steam railways?

The line between the SECC station and Partick Central split in two (just
inside the tunnel entrance at the SECC station) - the left tunnel goes towards
Partick, the right one went to Kelvinbridge, then Botanic Gardens, then
Maryhill.

Tunnel nowadays

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun May 28, 2006 8:12 pm

No Discussions on gaining entry to anywhere that is unsafe or that is Private property

This is an open forum.

Admin
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun May 28, 2006 8:27 pm

Ah right

Sorry didn't really think about that.

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby vinny » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:30 pm

Can I ask about the old Finnieston station on the Partick to Charing Cross line? It seems to have been located next to the old picture house/ Creme da la Creme but I see no evidence of where platforms could have stood before the tunnel entrace to Charing Cross at Argyle St.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Vinny

The station building was on the South side of Argyle street exactly opposite the junction with Kent Road. The platforms were side platforms between the end of the Tunnel under Argyle St./Kent Road and the St. Vincent Crescent Overbridge. The site of the platforms can be seen as vegetation in the cutting on Livelocal.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks. I must say the platforms couldn't have been particularly wide. I notice a couple of disused footbridges over the track in the car park. Were these part of the station? Where would the stairs down be found?
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:21 pm

If you look carefully from the train you can see the outline of the stairs on the stone retaining wall just before you enter (or just after you leave) the tunnel
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Craigyboy7 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:43 am

Yesterday that being Friday 9/6/06 i noticed for the first time daylight coming out of the dissused tunnel at the exhibition centre station! It was A Pleasent Site :D
Craigyboy7
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)