Ach come oan!!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Flyingscot » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:08 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
escotregen wrote: FlyingScot dinnae try and lecture a veteran... Transcard it was and Trancard it always will be. Wur no hiven car-driving marketing people tell uz how tae decribe things. :)

I'm not all that bothered what it's called

escotregen wrote:And the 10 week card is really, really, cheap per journey/day. You get variations at varying cost as well so you don't have to buy the big (3 or more zones) one.

This is rather the problem I was hoping my plea for a one ticket fits all scheme would address. I don't want to hear about zones, on or off peak, exact fares and no change, different operators and so on. I reckon it costs the same to run a bus empty as full; why create obstacles?

escotregen wrote: Obyirtodd yes you can get this card. First time application you need a passport photo and you need to get the firt one from one of the bigger outlets like St Enoch Underground booths. After that there are many outlets you can renew at (almost all central and local train stations etc.)

Thanks, I'm going to investigate this.

http://www.spt.co.uk/tickets/zonecard.html

Still too expensive IMHO- needs a cost cut but SPT recognise that and it's likely to change massivily with an smart card system soon enough that does away with paper.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:50 am

OK, this is no joke... the last 2 nights, I've been head to head with someone on that stretch of Paisley Road West

Monday night, I was behind a clio when it suddenly swerved into the bus lane, and there was a car heading towards me... I flashed my full beam and started to break and it swerved back into the correct lane

Last night, as I came round onto the stretch, there it was.... another car heading towards me.... I flashed my lights and started to brake, and I braked so hard, my front wheel locked... then the car did an almighty jolt into the correct lane.

I am spitting blood and partly blame the council.... there is no warning of lane changes and I'll be phoning the roads department later to let my feelings be known
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:39 pm

It's the same with Dalmarnock Rd too now - the most ridiculous aspect is when there are side streets or access to businesses, like at the petrol station - the bus lane at these locations gets reduced to loads of short, fractured sections that you have to wonder why they bother. And again, when you approach traffic lights, the left hand turning lane now becomes a chicken run to beat the bus to the tiny wee space left for cars turning left, otherwise the filter lane for Springfield Rd gets blocked.

Agreed with the Paisley Rd one too - nearly ran into a car the other night because one solitary car parked on the narrow side meant that everyone going that direction had to cross the (off-)centre line.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:44 pm

McShad wrote:OK, this is no joke... the last 2 nights, I've been head to head with someone on that stretch of Paisley Road West

Monday night, I was behind a clio when it suddenly swerved into the bus lane, and there was a car heading towards me... I flashed my full beam and started to break and it swerved back into the correct lane

Last night, as I came round onto the stretch, there it was.... another car heading towards me.... I flashed my lights and started to brake, and I braked so hard, my front wheel locked... then the car did an almighty jolt into the correct lane.

I am spitting blood and partly blame the council.... there is no warning of lane changes and I'll be phoning the roads department later to let my feelings be known

What can the council do? If morons cannot follow big thermoplastic screed painted lines on the road there is not a great deal of hope. A number of Glasweigians are really bad for accepting changes to the road network, they often ignore markings and signs because 'it's always been that way' which is quite frightening! It's similar to what cabbies get- ask some of our cabbies how many of them think they are getting ripped off because your not taking the way the bus takes home!

I've seen this a few time when markings and lane designations have been amended. I was nearly forced off the road once when someone cut infront of me because he failed to noticed the council had amended the junction and added another right turn lane! Looks like it in this case too people are just thinking it used to be that wide..... Ask me why I saw someone nearly run over crossing on a green man because someone who parked in the middle of the junction pulled away quickly cause traffic had stopped (at the red light). No doubt he still parks there because 'I used to park there' :roll:

IMHO Glasgow has made a hash of the bus lanes- instead of taking proper action to make both the bus lanes and the ordinary traffic lanes work, they have bent to the requests of some shop owners. I know a shop owner on Paisley Road West and he is fuming at the people who objected. The bus lane for him was an acceptable idea- no parking 0700-0930 and 1600-1830 which wasn't ideal but then the road was no parking 0600-1800hrs before so much better. Instead some owners complained and they now have metered parking all-day, a far worse scenario. Problem is with a little bit of inicitive and some minor works we could have had proper bus lanes and parking installed, and the roads would have been fine!

Mind you councils like changing things for no good reason too. Nearside Pedestian crossing lights spring to mind!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:57 pm

A couple of signs that say 'Altered Road Layout Ahead'... that too much to ask for?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:51 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Thanks, I'm going to investigate this.

I did too & it is saving me a small fortune, thanks, Escotregen :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 pm

I also think the Zonecard is too expensive - you appear to be paying more for the flexibility of using multiple modes of transport, rather than getting a bulk user discount.

My example - train fare or bus fare to town is about £2.50 return from Cambuslang. Five days a week for 4 weeks, comes to 50 quid.

Zonecard for zones G1, G2 and G5 (although I believe buying three zones allows me to use all G zones) for 4 weeks - £60.50.

So to get my money's worth, I would have to make every single journey to and from work by public transport, as well as a few on my days off and some off-peak ones too, since they would cost more on a pay as you go basis.

In reality, this just isn't feasible, since the last train from town is a little after 11pm, and the last bus during the week about 11.30pm - before my shift finishes for about 8 working days a month. Even a single mode of transport season ticket would be borderline uneconomical then.

So if I had any message for SPT in this, it's make public transport cheaper, or run it later more regularly - although to be honest, with the hassle of traipsing to and from bus stops/train stations at either end, to travel on manky trains or smoke-filled buses, with very regular strikes and stoppages on the underground - even if it was a reasonable amount cheaper than motoring, it woud be very hard to resist the relative comfort of a private car.

Don't get me wrong, though, I actually consider myself fairly environmentally aware, and for me the ideal solution is to bike into work for free, doing myself some good in the process - but again, these stupid new bus lanes and bus stops/islands which protrude into the road make me feel very vulnerable on the bike, purely down to the fact that there's less room for mistakes when a road is narrower. Not to mention the fact that I appear to have buckled my back wheel - anyone recommend a decent bike shop that won't rip me off for repairs and servicing???

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:12 pm

gap74 wrote:.................... Not to mention the fact that I appear to have buckled my back wheel - anyone recommend a decent bike shop that won't rip me off for repairs and servicing???

Gary

try the bike shop in Blantyre hes quick and the price is fair

F
Fossil
-
-

Postby Flyingscot » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 am

McShad wrote:A couple of signs that say 'Altered Road Layout Ahead'... that too much to ask for?

They can legally only stay up for 3 months, and if they don't notice reflective lines on the road are they going to notice another grafittied reflective sign?
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:53 am

The road alterations are less than a month old
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Craigyboy7 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:51 pm

Well I'd just like to add my own view on the zonecard i have a 3zone G1G2 and G8 which in turn gives me all 8 Glasgow zones. Its £16.80 a Week but i get value for money from it as i use the train and bus going to college in clydebank from my home in knightswood then use it to go to work in the forge again by train and bus, I'd say i save myself about £12 a week on travelling costs alone by using it! Ideally if there was a train station in parkhead i wouldnt need to get the bus from bellgrove to the forge and the reason i get the bus from clydebank station to college is cos im too lazy to walk up the hill on kilbowie rd!

A further point on the state of buses in glasgow many of them need a good clean by the middle of the day also in parkhead in the evenings why have the 5 routes that run down the gallowgate to the city centre all aiving within 10mins of each other then its a 20min wait for the next one surely they could spread it out so there is a 6minute frequency from parkhead cross to trongate!

Finally I Don't like How First have an monoply on transport in this city and i think giving them the rail franchise was a big mistake :evil:
Craigyboy7
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Local Hero » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:35 am

not to support the council but there were large yellow signs up on either side of Paisley Road Toll advertising the development of a 'quality bus route' which i instantly read as bus lane. These signs were up for a couple of months before any work began on realigning the road on the westbound lane at the start of paisley road west. The road on this side has been widened as much as two feet in places - i know this cos when a bus passes by or stops at the lights outside my flat shakes like buggery.

It is amusing though watching people suddenly veering in and out of the bus lane - veering in when they see a big empty stretch of road on the left and wondering why noone is using it - then suddenly dart back into the main traffic flow when they read the BUS LANE in big letters.
Ah used tae be indecisive but noo ah'm nae sae sure.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:53 am

Craigyboy7 wrote:Finally I Don't like How First have an monoply on transport in this city and i think giving them the rail franchise was a big mistake :evil:

I don't like it either - it may (according to Private Eye anyway...) have something to do with the former Lib Dem transport minister (now Scottish leader and Deputy First Minister) Nicol Stephen having done some work for First in the past. :?
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:52 am

Talking of First, and I think it should be nationalised, this is where their new 'global' HQ will be, once the remains of Donside Paper Mill are knocked down...

Nice creepy site as well for them, the old place is being made into yet another supermarket :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Ach come oan!!!

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Item 7

BUS LANE CAMERA ENFORCEMENT

Purpose of Report
The purpose of the report is to seek Committee’s approval to prepare a business case to
support an application to the Scottish Government for a decriminalised bus lane
enforcement system for Glasgow.

Recommendation
Committee is asked to:
i) Approve the preparation and submission of a business case to the Scottish
Government for a decriminalised bus lane enforcement system for Glasgow with, if
considered appropriate, an application to Scottish Ministers to promote the
necessary secondary legislation.
Background
Glasgow City Council has, in partnership with First Glasgow, been successful in delivering over £30m
of investment in recent years to improve public transport in the City through the Quality Bus
Corridor/Streamline programme. This award winning programme has achieved a marked
improvement in the quality of facilities and operating conditions for buses throughout the City. A
further outcome of this programme has been the signing of the groundbreaking ‘Stability and Growth
Pact’ with First Glasgow.
The Council, through its Local Transport Strategy, is committed to building on the improvements that
have already been achieved in order to ensure that the quality of bus services in the City continues to
improve and that maximum benefits can be derived from the considerable investment that has already
been made.
To this end, Land & Environmental Services is in discussions with the Scottish Government and other
key stakeholders on a number of fronts with the aim of further improving operating conditions for bus
services, with the potential additional benefits of improved air quality in the City Centre. Success has
already been achieved in promoting a Traffic Regulation Condition to regulate the use of bus stops
within the City, which has seen a marked reduction in abuse of bus stop layovers. Work is also
underway in scoping a statutory Quality Partnership Scheme, a principal objective of which will be to
ensure that the quality of buses operated in Glasgow City Centre is raised so that all bus operators
are obliged to meet the Council’s objectives for public transport and air quality in return for the use of
enhanced facilities provided by the Council.
If the full benefits of the continuing investment in bus facilities are to be realised, it is important that
the facilities provided are used, and seen to be used, to their maximum efficiency. One of the issues
that requires to be addressed is the current abuse of bus lanes by vehicles not permitted to use them.
In order to address this, it is proposed that a business case is prepared for submission to the Scottish
Government to provide the Council with the powers to enforce the abuse of bus lanes.
Proposals
The Council’s approved Local Transport Strategy contains an action (PTA4) to “Review camera
enforcement for bus lane violation and seek regulation to enable enforcement to take place by GCC”.
In addition, the Council and SPT have signed a “New Stability & Growth Pact” with bus operator First
which also requires this avenue to be pursued.
Currently in Glasgow, moving vehicle offences in bus lanes are criminal offences and are enforced by
Strathclyde Police. Such moving vehicle abuse of bus lanes is not currently viewed as a cause of
major delays to public transport or general traffic in Glasgow and, therefore, is not given priority for
allocation of Police resources. There are, however, a number of locations where it is considered that
greater enforcement of bus lane abuse would lead to fewer delays to buses. It is also a significant
issue in terms of the perceived effectiveness of public transport priority measures, with many
complaints received that bus lanes are not being enforced.
The introduction of decriminalised bus lane enforcement is enabled under the Transport (Scotland)
Act 2001. To allow decriminalised bus lane enforcement, Scottish Ministers must designate the City
as a decriminalised enforcement area under the Act. Existing Traffic Regulation Orders must also be
amended to reflect the change in enforcing authority and Scottish Ministers must approve the
enforcement devices that will be used.
The Scottish Government requires a full business case to be submitted before it will promote the
necessary regulations.
An initial study of the options available for implementing such a system in Glasgow concluded that the
level of income likely to be obtained from Penalty Charge Notices would not cover the costs of
operating a system installed for this purpose on its own and that the most affordable system would be
based on use of CCTV with the notice processing system being undertaken as an enhancement of
the existing decriminalised on-street parking operations.
With regard to any income from Penalty Charge Notices, any sums paid by way of charges to an
approved local authority may only be used in relation to achievement of policies in the Authority’s
Local Transport Strategy (Section 44 of the Act). Income may, therefore, be used to fund the
enforcement system. It is possible that income from enforcement may not meet the costs of the
system although benefits will be realised through enhanced operation and perception of the city’s
public transport system.
Officers have commenced discussion with the Scottish Government on their requirements for a
business case and the process that follows. Indications are that, following the acceptance of a
business case, it is likely that they will require at least a year to promote the secondary legislation
necessary. Should it be decided to proceed with decriminalised enforcement then the appropriate
regulations and systems could be in place in 2009 at the earliest. Liaison on implementation is also
taking place with council officers in Aberdeen and Edinburgh who are in a similar position with regard
to this issue.
As an early action, surveys have recently been undertaken to determine the current level of violation
of existing bus lanes and initial consultations have been undertaken with the Police and other key
stakeholders. This information will be used in the preparation of the business case should this be
taken forward.
Recommendations
Committee is asked to:
i) Approve the preparation and submission of a business case to the Scottish Government for a
decriminalised bus lane enforcement system for Glasgow with, in light of a demonstrable business
case being established, an application to Scottish Ministers to promote the necessary secondary
legislation.
SERVICE IMPLICATIONS
Financial: £20k has been secured from SPT 07/08 feasibility studies funding to enable
surveys of current infringements and examination of the business case. A
further report will be submitted regarding the cost of implementation.
Legal: No implications for development of business case.
Personnel: None.
Service Plan: Action PTA4 in approved Local Transport Strategy.
Environmental: Bus lane camera enforcement would support the Council's sustainable
transport policies.

ROBERT BOOTH
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
LAND AND ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES
30 November 2007
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)