Ach come oan!!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:02 am

Flyingscot wrote:I'de personally put in more bus lanes- the space is there for 2 lanes all the way on Paisley Road, and 3 at some points just the roads are so badly utilised.

I mentioned that... at the toll there WAS enough for 2 lanes either way, but they have but in a hulking great big bus lane and shifted the rest around... pointless though as the bus has to force its way back into traffic because of all the private hire cars parked on the double yellows

I say again... GCC, get off your ass and stop the parking.

While I remember... Cathcart Road at the bottom of Allison Street....2 lanes northbound, one south.... how many people have almost had a head on collision due to one driver not paying attention and driving round number two driver parked one double yellow lines at a junction. After all, he can't be seen walking to his shop now, can he?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
allyharp wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
allyharp wrote:For some reason the Dalmuir train at roughly 25 minutes past the hour from Partick has a very bad record for being cancelled. I can't count how many times I've been waiting for the Milngavie train to hear that Dalmuir is cancelled.

Can you travel to Milngavie via Dalmuir?

No. The Milngavie train is always directly after the Dalmuir train, although not really always since the Dalmuir is cancelled so often.

So why the concern re the Dalmuir train? Have you been to Dalmuir? You ain't missing nothing (if you'll pardon etc.........)

I've been to Dalmuir before but it was an accident I don't intend to repeat. (Express train ) :oops:
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:45 pm

onyirtod wrote:Can you travel to Milngavie via Dalmuir?

Theoretically it is possible as there is a link line from Hyndland East Junction to Jordanhill West Junction that allows empty trains from Milngavie access to Yoker Depot. Passsenger trains occasionally use the line during engineering work.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:51 pm

stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:18 pm

I think bus lanes will only ever work properly when/ if they become tram lanes.

At the moment buses can move out of a dedicated bus line to avoid an obstacle (like a parked car or a dead cyclist who'd been run over 'cos he had headphones on but no lghts and didn't hear/ see the bus) and continue on its' route.

Trams don't have that option. A car parked on a tram rail would bring the whole thing to a standstill and should the car driver return before the tram driver had been able to arrange for the offending vehicle to be removed (and just think of the revenue potential of that) the delayed passengers would surely lynch her.

See! A win-win situation.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:36 pm

onyirtodd wrote:I think bus lanes will only ever work properly when/ if they become tram lanes.

At the moment buses can move out of a dedicated bus line to avoid an obstacle (like a parked car or a dead cyclist who'd been run over 'cos he had headphones on but no lghts and didn't hear/ see the bus) and continue on its' route.

Trams don't have that option. A car parked on a tram rail would bring the whole thing to a standstill and should the car driver return before the tram driver had been able to arrange for the offending vehicle to be removed (and just think of the revenue potential of that) the delayed passengers would surely lynch her.

See! A win-win situation.

Sounds like good sense to me, but then I really like trams :oops: They can run easily with traffic and I reckon most thoroughfares in Glasgow could take them now as they did in the past. Getting rid of them in the firstplace was probably a mistake.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Trams and one-ticket- fits-all travel. Buses, trams, subway and local trains all on the same ticket.

Whoever sells the ticket gets the revenue. No contra invoicing or other crap.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:52 pm

In Brussels, they have one ticket for buses trams and metro, it's a pretty good idea.

Their system is slightly flawed though as you can buy a multiple journey ticket and get away with not validating it as they hardly ever check. My ten journey ticket lasted 3 months :)
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:06 pm

Emm... here in Glasgow we have the Transcard which is all-in buses, subway and local trains. It's really, really, cheap per day/journey when you buy the 10 week one. For some empoyers its a highly cost-effective perk to 'give' employees.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:19 pm

In the past 3 days I've been on a 20 about 4 times and the 66 twice. The 20s have all been stinking and dirty, while the 66s have been reasonable (for buses anyway!). Why is this?! Strange. Tonight I even waited for a 66 to come along cos the 20 was quite busy when it came. :oops: Why does 'the Beige line' have nice new buses too?
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Simba wrote:In the past 3 days I've been on a 20 about 4 times and the 66 twice. The 20s have all been stinking and dirty, while the 66s have been reasonable (for buses anyway!). Why is this?! Strange. Tonight I even waited for a 66 to come along cos the 20 was quite busy when it came. :oops: Why does 'the Beige line' have nice new buses too?

I hazard a guess that they live in different depots.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:44 pm

escotregen wrote:Emm... here in Glasgow we have the Transcard which is all-in buses, subway and local trains. It's really, really, cheap per day/journey when you buy the 10 week one. For some empoyers its a highly cost-effective perk to 'give' employees.

Surely Zonecard? And if it is it is far too expensive as it has far too many zones. Compare it to Transport for London Travelcards and Oyster which don't have local trains but soon will. SPT are thinking of changing it to allow day zonecards and bus/subway only travelcards at a reduced rate (good ideas) since the railways take most of the money (as they charge so bloodly much)- bus operators are threatening to pull out as they get hardly anything, some already have. Personally they should make it like London and have 6 rings coving Strathclyde like London has 6 rings covering it.

Isn't it great to have all these competiting buses being so enviromentally friendly- two 30 seaters running 2 mins apart carring 10 people each.....

Personally, we should re-regulate buses ala London and Sheffield, run trains as we used to as soon as possible. All the money goes to one company pot. So simple I wonder why it wasn't done before. Oh wait it was for most of the last century until 1984. Thanks Maggie.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:24 am

Is this true?

Is there somewhere I can buy a one ticket that allows me to hop-on/ hop-off any bus, train or tube in the SPT area?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:57 am

FlyingScot dinnae try and lecture a veteran... Transcard it was and Trancard it always will be. Wur no hiven car-driving marketing people tell uz how tae decribe things. :)

And the 10 week card is really, really, cheap per journey/day. You get variations at varying cost as well so you don't have to buy the big (3 or more zones) one.

Obyirtodd yes you can get this card. First time application you need a passport photo and you need to get the firt one from one of the bigger outlets like St Enoch Underground booths. After that there are many outlets you can renew at (almost all central and local train stations etc.)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:51 am

escotregen wrote: FlyingScot dinnae try and lecture a veteran... Transcard it was and Trancard it always will be. Wur no hiven car-driving marketing people tell uz how tae decribe things. :)

I'm not all that bothered what it's called

escotregen wrote:And the 10 week card is really, really, cheap per journey/day. You get variations at varying cost as well so you don't have to buy the big (3 or more zones) one.

This is rather the problem I was hoping my plea for a one ticket fits all scheme would address. I don't want to hear about zones, on or off peak, exact fares and no change, different operators and so on. I reckon it costs the same to run a bus empty as full; why create obstacles?

escotregen wrote: Obyirtodd yes you can get this card. First time application you need a passport photo and you need to get the firt one from one of the bigger outlets like St Enoch Underground booths. After that there are many outlets you can renew at (almost all central and local train stations etc.)

Thanks, I'm going to investigate this.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)