Ach come oan!!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby red_kola » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 pm

Sharon wrote:And whats with the buses that when idle essentially rock (bounce) you like a baby...????

:oops: Oh fuck I'm asking a bus question in a bus thread :oops:

And whyohwhyohwhy do they put two door buses on the number 11 route. Glasgow folk don't know wat to do on a two door bus. Do you exit through the logical or the traditional door?

Two door buses are for Edinburgh people who don't like to thank the driver. There is no place for them here.

(AND WHILST I'M AT IT: Given fact the the 11 and 44 share their route from the city centre to the west end, and given the fact that they both only run two buses an hour in the evenings, why do they timetable them within a minute of each other meaning that if you just miss one you've probably missed them both. CRETINS! :twisted: )
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:49 pm

The best bus I've been on recently isn't a First, it's the Citybus 17. It comes on time, gets you there faster than I thought possible and GIVES CHANGE!
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:20 pm

Yes, I don't understand this concept of having the correct change for buses. Silly silly. I grew up with bus drivers in the Highlands who were willing to give change, and still do, even though it's a city!! Not that I take the bus very often at home.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:00 pm

Fat Cat wrote:.................. Where are all those who park there going to go. Yes, they will park further out and get a bus into town! What's the point in that? Would it not be better to get a bus from where you live.

Parking is one of the subjects which I could bore profesionally on.

Recently (last summer-ish) new parking regulations were imposed on a huge chunk of the north and west of Glasgow. Split in 6-7 resident zones for ease of amin everyone thought. But..............

Turns out some zones (Woodlands and Belmont) have meter regulations 7 days a week 8am -10pm. Other areas are only blessed Mon-Fri 8-6.
I've asked in another place. I've asked Land Services at GCC. Nobody seems to know why there are different regulations.
Anyone here know?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:29 pm

red_kola wrote:Glasgow folk don't know wat to do on a two door bus.

Some of the two-door buses have a helpful sign on the second door, saying: "This is not a door".........
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:22 am

Simba wrote:Yes, I don't understand this concept of having the correct change for buses. Silly silly. I grew up with bus drivers in the Highlands who were willing to give change, and still do, even though it's a city!! Not that I take the bus very often at home.

It's probably only Highland bus drivers who can still count without using their fingers or a machine.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Armadillo wrote:Some of the two-door buses have a helpful sign on the second door, saying: "This is not a door".........

Is it a jar

Old old joke, sorry :oops:
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:19 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Would it not be easier just to remember how much it cost the first time and offer the driver the same fare every time?

No, Onny, you would also have to remember which bus company charges which fare. I can use one of three busses on my route of a morning, 90p / £1.00 or £1.20, I usualy get it wrong & i'm sure that I can hear everyone on board snickering. :oops:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:Would it not be easier just to remember how much it cost the first time and offer the driver the same fare every time?

No, Onny, you would also have to remember which bus company charges which fare. I can use one of three busses on my route of a morning, 90p / £1.00 or £1.20, I usualy get it wrong & i'm sure that I can hear everyone on board snickering. :oops:

OK. Point taken. I get an all day off peak from First and pay £2.50. That's not the fare; it's what I pay.

If I ran a bus company we'd have 3 fares. 95p, £1.45 and £1.90. People would pay £1, £1.50 and two quid. We'd have have some serious buckshee profit and no audit trail to worry about.

Luverly jubberly
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:23 am

glasgowken wrote:Most buses are filthy, and stink of stale food & piss :?
Trains are nicer, & faster :)

Presumably because the trains never carry passengers- oh and because they charge an arm and a leg. I have gone for 5 trains in the past 3 months, and only managed 1 on time, 1 late and 3 cancellations. Not good enough IMHO!

Buses would be better if they weren't run in a monopoly by Last Group. Thank god Arriva run near me! Perhaps if they did what London did instead of expecting a free-for all, where fares and standards would be better as companies would be fighting for custom yeah right. If I need a bus to University Avenue how many companies do I have a choice of :roll:

Interestingly enough, Parking in Glasgow is a joke, (parking in the middle of trafficlights outside Morrisons in Cardonald, so you walk across at green and a parked car moves off nearly hitting you) and as for the bus lanes they are a joke- they put in a bus lane in the toll, yet people still park all over the bus stop further up! And have you seen the bus stop outside the nightpalace further along which is specially positioned so when the morons park in it, (Marios delivery boys for your info) the bus stops in the 1 lane of traffic and blocks the whole junction. And the roundabout on Paisley Road West at Helen Street has a special bit so buses avoid the roundabout yet it's not used.... :roll: I'de personally put in more bus lanes- the space is there for 2 lanes all the way on Paisley Road, and 3 at some points just the roads are so badly utilised.

Let me run transport, I could certainly do a better job. Might need a shotgun for some legal regs and some
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:35 am

For some reason the Dalmuir train at roughly 25 minutes past the hour from Partick has a very bad record for being cancelled. I can't count how many times I've been waiting for the Milngavie train to hear that Dalmuir is cancelled.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:57 am

allyharp wrote:For some reason the Dalmuir train at roughly 25 minutes past the hour from Partick has a very bad record for being cancelled. I can't count how many times I've been waiting for the Milngavie train to hear that Dalmuir is cancelled.

Can you travel to Milngavie via Dalmuir?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:42 am

onyirtodd wrote:
allyharp wrote:For some reason the Dalmuir train at roughly 25 minutes past the hour from Partick has a very bad record for being cancelled. I can't count how many times I've been waiting for the Milngavie train to hear that Dalmuir is cancelled.

No. The Milngavie train is always directly after the Dalmuir train, although not really always since the Dalmuir is cancelled so often.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:47 am

allyharp wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

No. The Milngavie train is always directly after the Dalmuir train, although not really always since the Dalmuir is cancelled so often.

So why the concern re the Dalmuir train? Have you been to Dalmuir? You ain't missing nothing (if you'll pardon etc.........)
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:42 am

Flyingscot wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Most buses are filthy, and stink of stale food & piss :?
Trains are nicer, & faster :)

Presumably because the trains never carry passengers- oh and because they charge an arm and a leg.

You're not kidding, I paid £2.20 the other day just to travel one way on the train from Westerton to the High Street 8O
I'd be better off getting an all day bus ticket. I did get a bus back, but of course the only available seat was in front of a group of "merry" (ie, very pissed at 3pm) neds :roll:

Come back British Rail, & Glasgow Corporation Transport, all is forgiven :wink:
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)