Yorkhill Tunnel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Yorkhill Tunnel

Postby gordonjcp » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:24 pm

Wandered down there tonight with bagpuss_thecat. Loads of bags of rubbish and empty cans, don't you people ever clean up after yourselves?

Does anyone know where the end lines up with on the surface? Worth putting a smoke pellet in the vent thingy, see if you can see where the smoke comes out?

Oh, and the torch went off about 20 metres into the return trip. Bugger.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby caine » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:53 am

i didnt attend that last one, but we do clean up so its useable again in the future and so we dont get into any more hassle from the authorities then needs be, but i'll have a word with the boys and send them down.

but in our defense, if you have a look at some of the bottles and cans, you'll notice they date back to the early nineties, which we did actually clear a lot of them up so we could use it for the first time last year.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Just teasing...

Postby gordonjcp » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:02 pm

It is in remarkably good nick. The chuckies on the old trackbed are really smooth. Did you guys rake it or something?

What happens about noise? Surely the noise would carry for miles (big megaphone), and with the hospital right above it, surely someone would call the plod before long?
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby rank_bajin » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:29 pm

You would think so, but I lived on top of that part of the tunnel for a year and never had an inkling there was anything like that going on below me.

Then again, I had a habit of playing my music REALLY loud back then, in the old good old days when my PA class amp still worked
rank_bajin
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Just teasing...

Postby caine » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:42 am

gordonjcp wrote:It is in remarkably good nick. The chuckies on the old trackbed are really smooth. Did you guys rake it or something?

What happens about noise? Surely the noise would carry for miles (big megaphone), and with the hospital right above it, surely someone would call the plod before long?

a few parties with a couple of hundred people dancing arround for 6 to 8 hours each time, acts like a steam roller mate! ::): so the track bed has been well and truely flattened.

as far as noise goes, the speakers point up the tunnel, so some of the noise is lost by it having to travel so far before bouncing back down, but it does escape and you can only really hear it if you're right in front of the tunnel mouth, which if you keep going a wee bit further on, it gets drowned out by the river before it reaches the flats across from it. so no real noise issues. the authorities did turn up once, but only cos the transport museum reported a more then unuasul amount of cars in their car park in the early hours of the morning, even though you tell folk not to hang arround outside and draw attention, theres always some one who thinks they know better!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bagpuss_thecat » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:37 pm

Sooo, just to reiterate on one of the questions.... where did it once come out? It's obviously been filled in, but it would be a good reference point. :)
bagpuss_thecat
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby caine » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:29 am

somewhere in the yorkhill area......

to be more specific, somewhere down towards kelvihaugh street, but you cant see it.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:03 am

This 1912 plan any use?

Dunno how accurate the tunnels are on these plans.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:26 pm

amcd wrote:Dunno how accurate the tunnels are on these plans.

I'd say pretty accurate. One point - what's that pond at the railside?

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:07 pm

james73 wrote:I'd say pretty accurate. One point - what's that pond at the railside?

It's now a bowling green
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:49 pm

I'd say pretty accurate. One point - what's that pond at the railside?

originally, two acres in front of the west end of the St Vincent Crescent were laid out as pleasure gardens. In 1859 the St Vincent Crescent Bowling and Curling Club was formed and ground acquired for a bowling green and curling pond. Tennis courts later replaced the curling pond and further bowling greens were opened. A large boating pond was formed to the south of the gardens and bowling greens and this was used as an ice rink when frozen. While the bowling greens still survive, the gardens and boating pond have been replaced by industrial buildings.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Huh?

Postby tip2tail » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:58 pm

Hey,

I've been wanting to go to one of these parties for ages. How do you get into the Yorkhill tunnel anyway??? And when are the parties held??
Mark Young
http://www.tip2tail.co.uk || [email protected]
tip2tail
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby martin » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:56 pm

martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby birdie » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:29 pm

Yorkhill tunnel was and is still is 446 yards long, well sort of.
When Finneston, sorry Exhibition Centre station was remodelled, a new tunnel Kelvinhaugh was built, however this met the old Yorkhill tunnel underground and this was incorporated into the present day line from Partick to Exhibition Centre. You can walk about 400 yards into Yorkhill, but then ends at a pile of earth, as beyond is the live tunnel, which swings in from the right (just beyond the blockage).

Birdie.
birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)