HAMPDEN PARK

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

HAMPDEN PARK

Postby Sharon » Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:29 pm

I have just added are some photographs of "Scotlands Field of Dreams"...and i watched the game last night, dreaming is all we can do it seems!!!

The photos were taken by Iain during the rebuilding of Hampden.

Sharon
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

woo hoo!

Postby gallovidian » Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:56 pm

hey...this is my first visit, and what a great wee site! About time there was something like this to mess about in! :)
gallovidian
gallovidian
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Anne » Wed May 01, 2002 5:02 pm

:? Hi there
Dont really know how relevant this is but I can assure you that if we are talking "Hidden Glasgow" then it doesnt come much more hidden than this...I kind of feel that this is a little bit of an investigative site as well as informative so if anyone can enlighten me on the rumours of Chromium deposits found in and around Hampden then Id be more than inerested!!! Any idea about if its true or where and when they came from?? That kind of stuff..I mean how does a football pitch come to have chemical deposits in it!! There must be a story there????
Anne
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:33 pm

My Grandfather used to be the president of the Scottish Football League, and used to play for Queen's Park.

If you need to know anything about Hampden, he's the man to ask.
I'll do just that next I talk to him.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Woolly Joss » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:37 pm

There are chromium deposits all over the southside from White's chemical factory that was based in Rutherglen.

There were chromium deposits found on the site of Lesser Hampden (behind the West Stand at Hampden) during work before the Champions League Final in 2002. The pitch was being prepared to allow for a massive marquee to be set up for the bigwigs to get their pre-match nosh up, and the deposits were found behind one of the goals.

As far as I know, there were no deposits found during the rebuilding of the main stadium, although the terracing had been concreted over in the eighties in preperation for installing seating, so any deposits there will have been "capped" by the concrete and poses no risk.

I also know that playing fields in Cambuslang and Toryglen that have been (still are?) sealed off because the cost of excavating the chromium is too expensive.
Woolly Joss
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:43 pm

Woolly Joss wrote:There are chromium deposits all over the southside from White's chemical factory that was based in Rutherglen.

I also know that playing fields in Cambuslang and Toryglen that have been (still are?) sealed off because the cost of excavating the chromium is too expensive.

The Cambuslang playing fields are still sealed off. I remember play football on them when i was at secondary school. 8O
I think they closed the park down late 80's
A few months ago they did do some skimming of the ground and dug down a quite bit. Still sealed off...
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: HAMPDEN PARK

Postby enailer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:22 am

I was fortunate enough to work there whilst this work was going on. We sneaked some turf away thinking it was hallowed stuff and all that. As it turns out it was put down six weeks before the works began. Bah Humbug!!!!
Lookin out through a Whisky coloured haze
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)