Appropriate?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Appropriate?

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:45 pm

Just caught the 16 month prison sentence dished out to Lord Watson for fire-raising.

No point in recounting the event, however given what the action has done to this individual's life and career, his age and the potential effect on his family, I find it a bit difficult to reconcile this sentence with the effect of the action. Much has been made of the potential result of his obvious stupidity, but the act took place in a busy hotel, and under the watchful eye of CCTV.

I'm not pleading for leniency, but I can't reconcile this particular sentence with the action, in light of the various TV police documentaries that conclude with a summary of the sentence handed out to the various neds that steal and trash cars, assault and stab others, burgle and destry homes by the hundred, and seem to get away with community service, suspended sentences, or a few months for putting others in hospital.

I really don't know, or care, who Watson is, but I do feel some distaste at the thought that the sentence was based on 'setting an example to others'.

If that's the principle, then I want to see more burglars and career criminals 'setting an example'.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby smartie » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:20 pm

usual story "institutionalised" junkie stabs granny for £35 of her pension.... oooh poor lad 6 months suspended dont do it again...... But first time offender high profile case, throw the book at them. Although they are having a clamp down on fire raising at the moment !!!
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:47 pm

Yeah I agree. I personally know someone (an old class mate) who stabbed someone to death and got, wait for it, 4 years. He'd already served time on remand which was deducted from the sentance so if you take that and "good behaviour" he'll be out in about 2 years. 2 years for killing someone.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:20 pm

Apparently it was made worse by the fact that he was ''endangering the lives of guests at one of Edinburgh's most upmarket hotels.'' Scotsman. If it had been Hotel Ibis for example, only 10 months ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:22 pm

smartie wrote:usual story "institutionalised" junkie stabs granny for £35 of her pension.... oooh poor lad 6 months suspended dont do it again...... But first time offender high profile case, throw the book at them. Although they are having a clamp down on fire raising at the moment !!!

Lord Watson already had a previous conviction for assault which was again committed under the influence of alcohol

Alan
Last edited by AlanM on Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:30 pm

arson still carries a possible life sentence, he should count himself lucky.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby smartie » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:11 am

AlanM wrote:
smartie wrote:usual story "institutionalised" junkie stabs granny for £35 of her pension.... oooh poor lad 6 months suspended dont do it again...... But first time offender high profile case, throw the book at them. Although they are having a clamp down on fire raising at the moment !!!

Lord Watson already had a previous conviction for assault which was again committed under the influence of alcohol

Alan

now i didn't know that !!! you would have thought he'd have learned.... oh well !!!
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:54 am

Assualt covers a multitude of actions, from the downright trivial to near death experinces.

Any details to put the tale into context?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:31 pm

I read it at the time that he was charged with arson, I believe it was a drunken brawl.
I can't remember which paper I read it in probably the Stun or the Daily Retard (flicked through someone elses paper at work) but it was quite some time ago

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions