Kelbourne

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Kelbourne

Postby RabH » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:28 pm

Does anyone have any colour photos of Kelbourne School in Hotspur Street, Maryhill? I attended there from 1964-75 as it was a Primary and Secondary for disabled kids [there was a Nursery as well, but I only became disabled in 1962 when I was 3 and didn't attend that section].
RabH
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby downward_spiral » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:51 pm

Isn't that the building Stow College are now using for their West campus?
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Kelbourne

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:14 pm

No that was Shakespeare Street School.

Kelbourne School is the two story redbrick building next door and was featured on a BBC Scotland TV show last night. You may have read about a pupil and his sister in teh Herald yesterday.

When you see the Taxi Drivers Outing a number of the kids will be from Kelbourne.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Kelbourne

Postby RabH » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:28 am

I think Shakespeare Street School is now an Adult Training Centre, or was the last time I passed and the school across Northumberland Street from Kelbourne was Garrioch Secondary School.
RabH
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby thecatsmother » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:02 am

Do you mean you want photos of when you were there, or now? It's round the corner from me (Wyndford for my sins), so I could nip round and take some shots for you if you like.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Kelbourne

Postby RabH » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:53 am

Any photos will be appreciated, so if you wouldn't mind taking a few. However, I don't think you'll be able to get into the grounds. Anyway, good luck.
RabH
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby thecatsmother » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:31 pm

Probably won't manage to get in, but I can take a few shots of the exterior for you no problem. First dry day I'm free, I'll get on it.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Kelbourne

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:32 pm

RabH wrote:I think Shakespeare Street School is now an Adult Training Centre, or was the last time I passed and the school across Northumberland Street from Kelbourne was Garrioch Secondary School.

Historically you are correct Rab but after Killearn Adult Training Centre opened in Shakespeare Street the primary scool was re located within the building in Hotspur Street opposite Kelbourne (what was Garrioch Road SS). The "new" Shakespeare Street PS survived till the nineties and then closed. Stow College took the building and reurbished it. You can visit it.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RabH » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:12 pm

Historically you are correct Rab but after Killearn Adult Training Centre opened in Shakespeare Street the primary scool was re located within the building in Hotspur Street opposite Kelbourne (what was Garrioch Road SS). The "new" Shakespeare Street PS survived till the nineties and then closed. Stow College took the building and reurbished it. You can visit it.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the last time I could manage to get up to Maryhill was around 1998-99, so although I saw Garrioch School was boarded up, I had no idea it had opened as an annexe to Stow College.
RabH
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby thecatsmother » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:03 pm

Looking towards Garrioch Road

Looking towards QM Drive

From Garrioch Road, showing what I assume is a private residence associated with the school.

I would have liked to spend a bit more time getting good camera angles etc, but it was ned city out there today! Hope that's some use to you anyway, RabH.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Kelbourne

Postby RabH » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:05 pm

Those photos are great. The house in the last one is [was] the janitor's house. Our janitor was a man called Mr Fraser - the only male member of staff in the school at that time, apart from the drivers. He was not like the typical 'janny' and was always joking with us. Memories!
RabH
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby elainejamieson » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi there, I saw your query about Kelbourne school. I'm the principal teacher there now and just wanted to let you know that to celebrate our centenary we will be having an open day on 25th September 2014 between 11 & 3pm. We'd love to hear from ex pupils, staff and friends of the school. Our school website & blog have details- we're now called Kelbourne Park Primary.
elainejamieson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)