Hospital????

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hospital????

Postby SULZERUK » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi all, what is the place that is viewable from the railway line between Hartwood and Shotts? It is up on the hillside when the line curves round towards Shotts station on the north side. Is it part of the old Hartwood Hospital, it looks still inhabitted as there are lights in the windows when going past in the train at night?
Any ideas???
Al Cowan
SULZERUK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby duncan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:02 pm

probably the Nurse's block of Hartwood Hospital, but it's not inhabited (although some of the lights are turned on inside)
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:08 pm

I don't think it's Hartwood Hospital he's on about Duncan.

I think it's the hospital in between Hartwood and Shotts station that is still in use which the name and purpose escapes me at present.

It's on a small scale unlike the former Hartwood but just as remote.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hospital????

Postby downward_spiral » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:17 pm

SULZERUK wrote:Hi all, what is the place that is viewable from the railway line between Hartwood and Shotts? It is up on the hillside when the line curves round towards Shotts station on the north side. Is it part of the old Hartwood Hospital, it looks still inhabitted as there are lights in the windows when going past in the train at night?
Any ideas???
Al Cowan

I don't think it's Hartwood Hospital or the nurses block, as both have been abandoned for quite some time now, and are on the west side of Hartwood station.

It could be Hartwoodhill, which is still in use, but I didn't think that was visible from the line. I could be totally wrong.

Cheers,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby SULZERUK » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:22 pm

it is viewable at the top of the hill, must be Hartwoodhill, seems to be a few 2 or 3 story buildings in the trees, what is Hartwoodhill anyway, siliar to Hartwood when it was open?
Al Cowan
SULZERUK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby downward_spiral » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:29 pm

Hartwoodhill is the 'hosp' at the top right on this map

SULZERUK wrote:what is Hartwoodhill anyway, siliar to Hartwood when it was open?
Al Cowan

Roughly the same I think.

Cheers,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby SULZERUK » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Done a quick Google search, Psychiatric hospital with about 90 or so beds with a "brain injury" ward as well for good measure?
Will be interesting when the local health board close that one down, more "interesting" people into the community!
Al cowan
SULZERUK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alycidon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:49 am

Like the Avatar SULZERUK, wonder where you found it???

Perhaps

Still the say that imitation is the most sincere forms of flattery!

One of the view surviving examples of the disastrous venture into diesel locomotive manufacture North British Locomotive Company Glasgow.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SULZERUK » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:43 pm

Jim, I own half of the engine and also own the last engine to have left the NBL works at Queens Park. Was sold 6 months after the company went into liquidation. Needs a bit of work but historically signifigant I would say. I also managed to get a wheen of stuff from Barclays before the Kilmarnock head office was vacated, including an original order book that is complete unlike the one in the Mitchell Library!
I have had the picture for ages on my PC, my appologies if it was taken and used without your permission!
Al Cowan
SULZERUK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alycidon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:08 pm

Hi Al

No problems with using it, I remember the surprise at finding the locomotive. This was taken on a Saturday morning in July 1995 when I was doing a tour of the preserved lines in the Midlands/North of England and visited the East Lancs railway at Bury. This was probably the most authentic line I visited, right down to the Guard on our train who moaned about everything!

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:54 am

a a a
Last edited by trudger on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:48 pm

mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Hospital????

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:07 pm

SULZERUK wrote:Hi all, what is the place that is viewable from the railway line between Hartwood and Shotts? It is up on the hillside when the line curves round towards Shotts station on the north side. Is it part of the old Hartwood Hospital, it looks still inhabited as there are lights in the windows when going past in the train at night?
Any ideas???
Al Cowan

Is it this place?

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:17 am

Are the two buildings not either side of the railway as you approach Shotts from Glasgow, Hartwood on the left and this other place to the right hand side of the train as in on the south side rather than north? Had to go to Shotts for a funeral the other week, what a grim place, and its the same even without a funeral on... :(
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)