School dinner memoirs

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby George » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:42 am

the spagetti pie thing brings back awful memorys I thought time had healed. I used to get lunch at home but since most pals had dinner school I tried it for a bit. Awful....but I still went back for second helpings.

I remember that some kids got free dinner and some had to pay.....the tickets were clearly stamped and everyone knew ( even when I was 10 years old) who's parents were 'poor' and who's were 'snobs'.....It was so awful. I hope things have moved on.
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:22 am

the spagetti pie thing brings back awful memorys

Yeah I thought that would be brought up :x Same goes for
the baked bean and spam pie thing. A bit dissapointed so
far the "meat loaf" has not had a look in.
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Well, I remember at secondary having to get in the queue for 12.45.......had to bolt down the stairs to make it. I remember the milk cartons, and how you could burst them by laying them horizontally and jumping with all your weight on them.SPLAT! Someone beside you would be covered!

How about the stealing that when on as well? My cousin was ace for getting 4 cakes in two of his pockets, along with tomato sauce sachets, vinegar etc. Some teacher occasionally would get a piece of food thrown at them......pain in the arse, everyone suffered till the culprit was caught.
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:45 am

Is it just me or were those buns just finger rolls with pink icing on them? We used to get kedgeree every Friday at primary school, which was nae fun - I hated eggs and fish. My big brother was our table's monitor though, so he got 2 helpings every Friday.

I remember being part of a protest group at secondary school against the price of cheese - they charged 20 p more for chips and cheese than they did for chips.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby paladin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:09 pm

mooshimooshisan wrote:I remember being part of a protest group at secondary school against the price of cheese - they charged 20 p more for chips and cheese than they did for chips.

Decimalisation had a lot to answer for, much better in the days of pounds/shillings/pennies and bigger portions(if you could stomach them).
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:20 pm

Shillings... what are they then? ::):
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:46 pm

Spam fritters.......simply the best.
Had a nasty experience with a link sausage. Thought I had managed to sever the beast with my teeth, however the casing remained intact allowing half the link to travel down my food pipe and the other half to remain in ma gub, both halves connected by the stretchy tube thing ( bit like 'visking tubing' from science class).
Boy, did I boak.
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Nikki » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:04 am

Do you like car spotting??

if so, can you read number plates at 60 mph?
Nikki
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby evilheartedyou » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:55 pm

pink custard!

I remember fish fingers and wee scotch pies, that's about it, never got any free milk that I can remember :evil:

my primary school was built on a hill so we used to roly poly down the grass after lunch, wasn't a good idea for a lot of people...
without you, today's emotions would be the scurf of yesterday's...
evilheartedyou
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby salty dog » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:24 am

I was surprised to find nobody mentioned "dinner monitors" . The slightly older kids who actually collected and served the food for that particular table.
salty dog
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:08 am

look back a couple of pages salty, I was a dinny monitor, and a sacked one at that.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

sacked?

Postby salty dog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:22 pm

:).. yeah , most dinner monitors i knew didnt last long either Dickyhart , usually due to them hogging the chips for themselves and their mates at the expense of us newer kids.

They collected the chips en masse in a big ceramic hot pot style casorol type dish and were responsible for distribution.. not a good idea.

We didnt get chips every day ..but quite often
salty dog
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ladylabobo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:03 pm

i went to a primary school down south and as long as they didnt have fishcakes (which i was convinced was made from catfood cos they smelled the same) and parsnips that they made look like chips to fool us, it was generally ok.

They used to give us this really yummy pudding. It was a brown crunchy type thing that had mint icing on top. I have no idea what it was and research has proved fruitless.

Cos I was so fussy I would be left sitting at the table until classes started in the afternoon cos i wouldnt eat my vegetables. I then learned to be ultra swift in clearing my plate before the dinner lady monitor could catch me. In later years when they became more vigilant i learned to abuse my position as big sister and pile all the stuff i didnt like on my wee brothers plate so he would have to eat it and i could go....

High school dinners were crap. My grannys neighbour was the dinner lady and she would always give me "extras" - i think she was fattening me up to get me to marry her weirdo son... she still asks after me and as far as im aware the son is still single... eek
ladylabobo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:01 pm

I had school dinners twice - once at primary school, once at secondary (we were too rich to qualify for free dinners, but too poor to be able to pay for them). Both were utterly disgusting.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:20 pm

the school dinners at my primary school were actually really good - i am still trying to find school chips :). we always had a big choice and we could eat what we wanted.

secondary school were okay but if u wanted a burger or sandwiches you had to be quick coz they never made enough
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions