Parkhead Train Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby james73 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:44 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:No, I think it's possibly an old bog. If you look on the picture that Alycidon's posted, he's got the station at an accurate location. In your piccy you can see Celtic Park just behind, taken from London Road. It's certainly at the end of the tunnel that disappears under London Road, but not part of the station.

Correct. See here.

James H
Last edited by james73 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:46 pm

Alycidon wrote:It would be far better to complete the loop through Tollcross to Carmyle and re-route the Whifflet service this way - after all a large proportion of the Celtic support come from Coatbridge :D

Getting the serious rail-head hats on for a minute, it would surely have to
be another 'terminates at Anderston' type service?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stranger » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:19 pm

james73 wrote:Interesting. But, where would this line end? At a new Parkhead station? Or
would it continue eastwards?

James H

not really anywhere for it to go
the formation was removed and built over a couple of miles furthes on
at the site of tollcross station in the early 90s
another classic example of forward thinking
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stranger » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:23 pm

james73 wrote:
Vinny the Mackem wrote:No, I think it's possibly an old bog. If you look on the picture that Alycidon's posted, he's got the station at an accurate location. In your piccy you can see Celtic Park just behind, taken from London Road. It's certainly at the end of the tunnel that disappears under London Road, but not part of the station.

Correct. See here.

James H

there were no buildings left standing at the station only a concrete stairway
and the platforms these were lost when the site was filled in
probably still there under all that earth
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:27 pm

stranger wrote:not really anywhere for it to go
the formation was removed and built over a couple of miles furthes on
at the site of tollcross station in the early 90s
another classic example of forward thinking

As ever, if the will is there... :roll:

Buildings never seem to stand in the way of motorways and new roads. Funny that... Image

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stranger » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:35 pm

james73 wrote:

Buildings never seem to stand in the way of motorways and new roads. Funny that... Image

James H

::): ::):

seriously though the will only seems to be there to build roads
like the M74 extension that wiped out this line at carmyle junction
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:40 pm

Never actually had a really close look. Walked down East Whitby Street a couple of times but never explored the site as such. However, it strikes me that they wouldn't need to knock any buildings down. I don't think the high rise flats actually interfere with the site itself and from Springfield Road, it looks like there's a fence around the entire old station. The line (I think) could be extended up to Tollcross without too much interruption.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stranger » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:Never actually had a really close look. Walked down East Whitby Street a couple of times but never explored the site as such. However, it strikes me that they wouldn't need to knock any buildings down. I don't think the high rise flats actually interfere with the site itself and from Springfield Road, it looks like there's a fence around the entire old station. The line (I think) could be extended up to Tollcross without too much interruption.

it could get as far as the united biscuits factory without too much hassle
the cuttings and bridges have been filled but not removed although the embankment would have to be reinstated at the end of the tenament across fom tollcross park, but it is built over on both sides of Braidfauld St

i think the line was considered for reinstatment at the same time as the argyll line dont know why it didnt happen
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby radar » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:33 pm

Filled in cuttings and alike haven't stopped the reopening of closed lines before now. A few years ago when a line was reopened in the East Midlands (Robin Hood line I think) they excavated a filled in cutting and tunnel. In the process several houses which had been built after the line closed were demolished.

However, as has been suggested, when looking to "re-open" closed lines the planners shouldn't just consider following the exact route of the original line. All options should be considered and completely new alignments could be easier or simply make more sense in serving the areas of population or facilities. If those in their ivory towers can agree to bulldoze a path for 6 or 8 lanes of blacktop, surely a double track iron road can't be too much to ask!!!! :?
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby papa lazarou » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:42 pm

All this talk of reopening railway lines is very interesting but like most proposed ventures touted about they seem to be pipe dreams.
If only those in charge would get their finger out...speculate to accumulate - improve public transporation!
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:23 am

What happened to the subway extension, is this part of it :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:13 am

There is a much cheaper option here that SPTE seem to be ignoring, the Queen Street to Drumgelloch line runs right past the Parkhead Forge shopping centre and not too far from Parkhead Stadium. A station could and should be built here (there was one here but it closed in 1955)
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TheVoyageur » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:39 pm

As discussed further down this thread about the proposed SPT underground route, an interesting wee article can be found in todays 'Metro' newspaper.

I'll quote it here to save you the time of trying to find it:

Celtic Park could get a new rail station if transport bosses open a disused tunnel which runs under London Road in Glasgow - yards fom Celtic's Parkhead ground.

Tunnel Eh??? 8)
TheVoyageur
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby glasgowgub » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:25 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:So is this wee buildings (Whats left) something to do with the station??

Put me out of my misery. I've been wondering for a while noo :)

or is it a lavvy

Fossil

Just to the right of this wall, just before you reach the pub (turnstyles i think) you used to be able to go under an advertising hoarding , which i used to do in my youth to swally before the match- and over the wall there u could see the mouth of a tunnel. It is situated where someone else on this thread has stated the access road to the tunnel is.
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby clydebankcelt » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:20 am

Celtic Park could get a new rail station if transport bosses open a disused tunnel which runs under London Road in Glasgow - yards fom Celtic's Parkhead ground.

That tunnel:- you can see it if you climb onto and look down the small building on London Rd just next to the london rd, Fielden St junction.
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)