Woodilee

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Woodilee

Postby downward_spiral » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi,

It's been a while.

I took a trip to Woodilee last week to take some photos before they finally flatten/vandalise/torch it. From what I hear it may not be long now.

Shame the fences have been reinforced (again!).

Regards,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:03 am

Like them, pal. Some guid yins there.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:37 am

Awesome!!

The fences can be climbed really easy mind you.. Didn't fancy it ?

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Woodilee

Postby duncan » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:10 am

downward_spiral wrote:I took a trip to Woodilee last week to take some photos before they finally flatten/vandalise/torch it. From what I hear it may not be long now.

Shame the fences have been reinforced (again!).

if they're going to flatten it, or let it go to ruin, why do you suppose they bothered to reinforced the fences?

it's a shame the state they've let it get into
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:25 am

They may be planning to flatten those amazing archway corridors, and 'develop' (see vandalise) the clock tower/imbecile home to turn it into flats. More likely, they'll flatten everything but the facades and build up some glass monster behind them, as is the trend now.

When I say vandalise/torch I had the site developers in mind, not the local young team :D

I think its pretty certain that the spare ground at least will be getting flats/houses soon.

As for the fences, they've recently topped them off with a charming assortment of groin piercing devices (ie: dirty big spikes). There are other ways in now anyway, so not much need to risk your dangly bits by climbing them.

Forgot to post this one :

Cheers,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby monthebiffy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:05 pm

Nice pics... I believe they reinforced the fences again because a local ned had a fatal accident in the grounds when he hit a concrete block on his motorbike (probably the same one I'd noticed screaming about at stupid speeds the last time I was there)... there was an article about it in the Kirkintilloch Herald a couple of months back, I'll try and find it online.
monthebiffy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby downward_spiral » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:46 pm

I believe they reinforced the fences again because a local ned had a fatal accident in the grounds when he hit a concrete block on his motorbike

::):

(probably the same one I'd noticed screaming about at stupid speeds the last time I was there)...

Yep, probably the same one that kept deliberately screaming past a couple of inches away from me. I kept thinking, if only I had a five iron handy.

Thing is, they're still at it.

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby duncan » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:50 pm

argh!
http://www.k-eye.co.uk/projects/woodilee.html
http://www.k-eye.co.uk/archive/archive_phase2.html

Looks like the Health board wanted to demolish the A-listed buildings, but the East Dunbartonshire council refused their applications:

TP/ED/02/0798

Greater Glasgow Health Board
Woodilee Hospital
Woodilee Road
Lenzie
Glasgow
G66 3OG

demolition of clock tower building as identified on the attached copies of drawings,

15/08/2002

Refuse

31/10/2002

Ward - 16 South Lenzie

TP/ED/02/0101

Greater Glasgow Health Board
Woodilee Hospital
Woodilee Road
Kirkintilloch
Glasgow
G66 3UG

demolition of east and west arches,

05/02/2002

Refuse

03/09/2002

Ward - 16 South Lenzie

But this application is still current:
TP/ED/02/1000

Anne Smith
0141 578 8549

residential development with ancillary commercial leisure and recreation; consolidated infrastructure and landscaping,

Land at the Former Woodilee Hospital
Lenzie
G66

The Woodilee Housebuilders' Consortium and the Greater Glasgow Primary Care NHS Trust
c/o McInally Associates Ltd
6 Newton Place
Glasgow
G3 7PR

Agent

McInally Associates Ltd
6 Newton Place
Glasgow
G3 7PR

02/12/2002

Ward - 12 Rosebank and Waterside Ward - 14 Kirkintilloch Central Ward - 15 Lenzie

Kirkintilloch Community Council Lenzie Community Council Waterside Community Council
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:49 pm

Dear Health Board,

With respect of your nice letter dated 12th January 2002 re: demolishing Woodilee. The board have considered your application for demolition very thoroughly and have decided to invite you... To fvck right off.

Loves and cuddles always,

Dunbartonshire Coooncil.

My favourite part of the report.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Napalm » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:30 am

Great pics, and very nic website. I love all the locations you have taken pics of. Wish I could get to places like that.
Napalm
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:00 am

Napalm wrote: Wish I could get to places like that.

What's stopping you ?

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Napalm wrote:Great pics, and very nic website. I love all the locations you have taken pics of. Wish I could get to places like that.

Cheers!

Nothing to stop you getting to places like that. Ok, so most of them shown on my site are flattened/torched/secured now, but there are always more, all over the place.

When travelling I keep noticing boarded up windows or crumbling brickwork out of the corner of my eye and I keep thinking ' I have to go back and see that some day'. Sometimes it turns out to be nothing, but a lot of the time its worth it.

Even now, in the era of shiny glass buildings and clean brickwork, there are still plenty of gems hidden on side streets or in the outskirts. I've seen absolutely loads recently, only health/money has stopped me from going to explore.

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Zooropa » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:25 pm

I actually work in the Larkfield Centre, which is the old gatehouse of the Woodilee.
I live locally and used to play around the Woodilee as a kid avoiding the patient's around the wee shop.
The gatehouse where I work now serves as an outpatient clinic for patients with mental health problems in the community.

The Wooliee grounds are fenced off, but local dogwalkers hauled the fence up a bit and pulled some bars down just at the main Garngaber road entrance, so you can get into the grounds no problem at all.

The actual buidlings are fenced off pretty tightly, but I'm sure there's ways around that to get in at them.

There are huge plans to totally re-develop the area, the main one being the Kirkintilloch Link Road, which will run through the grounds right up to the M80.

I think you're right when you say they will keep the clock tower, and renovate it in some way, the whole area has been marked for new up-market housing.
Zooropa
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby munroman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Loads of changes due to the new developments, apparently a circular enclosure of possibly Iron Age date has been uncovered during the building work, and is being examined by Glasgow Universities experts.

Quite possible it was built there as its handy for the railway line.
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 pm

munroman wrote:Loads of changes due to the new developments, apparently a circular enclosure of possibly Iron Age date has been uncovered during the building work, and is being examined by Glasgow Universities experts.

Quite possible it was built there as its handy for the railway line.

It's possible but the parking's shite there. Much better to have built somewhere near Croy.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Photo Sharing