Old Sauchiehall Centre Pictures?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Old Sauchiehall Centre Pictures?

Postby appleofglasgow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any links whatsoever to anything to read about the old Sauchiehall Centre when it was actually a centre and not split into retail units.

I remember when it was very dated 60's brown and reflective gold (possibly?) inside and a central elevator took you to a TK Maxx on the basement, which of course is the location of the current TK Maxx just vastly reworked.

While we are on the subject of that area, anything on the Savoy Centre, another 60's place that is thankfully still all original inside (down to the very odd wall sculptures in the ramp area, as was popular at the time, think Cumbernauld town centre).
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Old Sauchiehall Centre Pictures?

Postby dubcentral » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 am

The Sauchiehall Centre also had quite an ornate clock in the late 70's, I would love to see some photos of that now. I think there might have been some puppet action on the hours.
dubcentral
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dazza » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 am

dazza
-
-

Postby Rucola » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:11 am

It was The Sauchiehall STREET Centre up until the late 1980s, if I'm not mistaken. Brown and orange then gave way to the then-fashionable Mockintosh and turquoise Sauchiehall Centre identity.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Think it was after Arnotts moved out in the late 1980s that they gave the place a makeover, that's when they took out the big clock and put the glass lift in that went up the atrium. By the standards of today's big malls it is pretty pokey in comparison, and I think that's why it couldn't really survive as a "destination shopping mall" in the mould of St Enoch or the Galleries.

I have fond memories of the Sauchiehall Street Centre as it was - if I was a good boy I got a treat (usually a Lego set) bought for me at Argos, then we went to the Wimpy bar on the Bath Street side for a burger...happy days!

I won't rant about the loss of the Wimpy as I have done in another thread, but the WH Smith (formerly John Menzies) I think is the only original tenant that's been there since Day One.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Was there an Arnotts in the Sauchiehall Centre?! I can't remember that at all - where was it?

I remember latterly there being a shop on the top floor which had a vaguely space sounding name. My mates and I used to spend hours in there playing with all the gadgets and gizmos - I remember the chap being really friendly and demonstrating things, never once complaining when we never spent any money!
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Haggis » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:06 pm

The shop with all the gadgets etc was called 'Stargazer' Funnily enough I found a badge a few days ago that I bought from there late 1980's/early 90's.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:23 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:Was there an Arnotts in the Sauchiehall Centre?! I can't remember that at all - where was it?

I remember latterly there being a shop on the top floor which had a vaguely space sounding name. My mates and I used to spend hours in there playing with all the gadgets and gizmos - I remember the chap being really friendly and demonstrating things, never once complaining when we never spent any money!

Arnotts was either at the location of the Sauchiehall St Centre or TK Maxx as I think it is now (I don't live in Glasgow) or it was where MacDonalds is now up a bit from BHS. I worked in there on a Saturday job in the early 70's and Mr Hugh Fraser who must have taken it over at some point waved regally to us minions as he went up the escalator. Boots the Chemist was next to it as well before it moved up a bit and across the road.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Apparently, Arnotts was in the Sauchiehall Centre until 1980

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA05140&add=99&t=&PHPSESSID=3400584448b11f8f3ccc5bb052a5ed4a

It closed in 1986, which is why I probably can't remember it! You learn something new every day!
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:47 am

It was built on the site of the former Pettigrew & Stephens department store. One of the many stores to be bought up by Frasers.

Pettigrew & Stephens Ltd, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.

The company was formed in 1888 by Andrew Hislop Pettigrew and William Henry Stephens and became very popular with city centre shoppers. In 1901 the premises were rebuilt and refurbished, featuring a gilt dome designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and by 1914 "Pettigrews" was the largest department store in Scotland. The business was subsequently acquired by House of Fraser and remained popular until it was closed in 1974. The building was demolished and a new shopping centre built on the site.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Avenger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 pm

As I recall, and I could be wrong, Argos was in the basement - the joy of waiting in the queue only to be told 'sorry, that's out of stock', the main store at street (sauchiehall street) level was Daly's (could have been part of House of Fraser, I think it was over two levels as was John Menzies, at Bath street level was Wimpey as already mentioned and the entrance to RBS, other shops were travel agents (remember them?) and I seem to remember my mum buying curtains from Remnant Kings, the others I don't remember.
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby delirium » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm

I only vaguely remember the Arnotts being there then when it closed it was done up. The basement level was the food court and yes, I think Argos opened off it. That was before TK Maxx. I think it was just the upstairs of John Menzies that opened into the centre and the ground floor to the street as it does now. There was a big travel agent and an Our Price. That's all I really remember. It had lots of pools and water features in the centre and barrow stalls selling jewellery etc. I remember it always being quite dark.

That was late 80s as I worked in St Vincent street on a YTS and we used to skive there :)
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 am

About the only part of the building that the public can see that is original I think, is the staircase up to the car park - those yellow/brown tiles give away its origins as a mid 1970s building.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RFCally » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Arnotts occupied the building on two floors, G & 1. The centre of the building held the main atrium with the clock. On the left as you went in was John Menzies which took up the Grd & 1st floors. After that you had a jeans shop called Mr Bojangles which had changing room doors like a wild West bar. The basement held a display wall for Argos and was a bit off with only a seating area. On the first floor was Tandy (Radio Shack in U.S.) which sold electronic kit. On day one they gave away a free torch. Only problem was you needed to buy 6 type D batteries to power it. The Wimpy on the first floor had two entrances, one on Bath Street and the other from the centre itself. It sat next to the first floor entrance of Arnotts. In 1984 my first job was in John Menzies working in the computer department with Gary, Shona and Arnie.
RFCally
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects