Old Viaduct in Easterhouse

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Old Viaduct in Easterhouse

Postby kyndigs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:34 pm

Never posted here before, but I thought I would share something I was researching personally out of curiosity, there was an old wall we used to climb in the farms near Easterhouse, it was called the "Mars Bar" wall, story lucky devil climbed it and found a box of Mars Bars, sounds like an UL but still, so I wondered recently what it was.

Anyway took some digging but it was part of an old viaduct that got demolished but this part was left over. Here is a glimpse of it from street view.

Not as interesting as other stuff but very enlightening for me to find out about it as we never knew anything when we climbed it as kids, glad there is some interesting history behind it at least.

https://goo.gl/maps/BmLgrGjKMQK2

kyndigs
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Old Viaduct in Easterhouse

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:16 pm

Interesting. Pity they got rid of it.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Old Viaduct in Easterhouse

Postby Icecube » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:00 am

The first photo is of the viaduct (still standing and taking trains between Whifflet and Glasgow Central) crossing the Luggie burn between Bargeddie (the bricks in the foreground are at the Drumpark Brickwork) and the Coatbridge suburb of Kirkwood.
Second photo is the then remaining piers (one still standing) of a viaduct of the Drumpeller railway, a mineral line that crossed the Airdrie - Helensburgh railway just north of Bargeddie.

Both locations are a bit away from the Easterhosue area.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects