Sad News

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Sad News

Postby potatojunkie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am

Hi HG, been a while. Regret the circumstances, but Josef's son Calum asked me to pass this on:

To all friends of Josef/Gordon;

My dad passed away suddenly on the morning of June 2nd. A father and beloved friend to me, and many others that I'm sure of.

Affectionately known as Josef, all that knew him could attest to his eagerness to engage in conversation and the keen wit that followed. If you were lucky - or persistent - enough to see him past the initial bluntness of his character, you'd know that he was an unending font of knowledge about a great deal of things including Scottish history, music, art, literature and anything with an ounce of substance, really.

I can in all honesty say that I've never met a more passionate or intelligent man. He taught me to challenge every aspect of myself, himself and the world without neglecting any act of support. I hope that of all of that character he tried to instil in me, at least some of it remains.

I'd like to take a moment to thank the paramedics who arrived on the scene and did all they could to save him. Their presence was a saving grace in a moment where I felt truly alone.

I would ask that our privacy as a family is respected at this time. If you would like a time to honour his memory and your memories of him, I'm going to try to book some tables upstairs in the Ubiquitous Chip for the afternoon on Friday of this week. Please let us know if you intend to make it as this may change. The first round is on him.

-----

I'll try and keep this thread updated with what's happening with the Chip.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Sad News

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am

Sometimes, when a person passes, the world left behind is a measurably less interesting place.

This is one of those times.

I'm honestly shattered by this news. I had so much time for Josef.

Christ almighty.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 am

Ah Josef.
The man with the magic backpack that dispensed warming mulled substances to keep us going in between pubs ::):

Pleasure to have known you.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:24 pm

shocked to the core reading this.a wonderful man and a great character to have known,rest in peace josef.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Interacted many times on this site but never once met him or many of the others, through my shyness of going to pub meets or difficulties in attending outings on a Sunday. All of these factors lead to me losing out and I missed out meeting in person but I did manage to interact on here and his contribution was invaluable and he will be sadly missed.

This site has lost too many greats over the last few years, our posts are few on the ground and it is the stalwarts that keep it going - long may they continue and long may the memories and postings of Josef and others live on.

My condolences to his family.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Goodbye Josef, a man with many strings to his bow. I am glad I had the privilege of knowing him!
ImageHG Clydebank by Vinegar Tom, on Flickr

ImageM74 by Vinegar Tom, on Flickr

ImageSt Peters smokers corner by Vinegar Tom, on Flickr

ImageSpringburn 11 by Vinegar Tom, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 am

What can I say, Josef truly one of a kind, I am shocked, a bit stunned and sad beyond measure.

Argumentative absolutely and loved to debate, but a warmer kinder person you could not hope to meet.

Anybody who had the pleasure of attending any of the many walks might not remember me but they would remember Josef such was the impact, personality and presence that the man commanded.

He was warm and inclusive too, I will never forget meeting the group for the first time and he just made me feel truly welcome as if I had been an old friend.

A unique, warm man with an absolutely fearsome intellect.

On VT's post, in the first picture Josef is on the right and I'm next to him holding that daft blue jacket. On the left is Hollowhorn also gone, that picture makes me smile and brings a tear all at the same time

I will miss you Josef

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Erudite, generous and informed. Welcoming to new folk. You'll be missed Josef...……..
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 am

Such sad news.

Josef was quite unique; a character. He brought so much to Hidden Glasgow and all those who grew to be friends with him. Both intelligent and knowledgeable, he was never short of an opinion or two and not shy to share them, always ready to challenge folks if they said something daft. One of a kind.

He'll be missed.

Plans for drinks on Friday afternoon have relocated to the Ben Nevis.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:19 am

I'm going to miss his leg shoe shine walk :)

You'll be missed J me old china

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Grahame » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 am

Having not looked at this forum in many many months, something drew me back to it this morning, and I'm shocked to find that it was this sad news.

I remember my first encounter with Josef, when he came over to my flat to pick up some old OS maps that I was giving away. I was quite wary of his bordering-on-aggressive manner as, instead of taking the package and leaving, he badgered me into inviting him in for a cup of tea and a blether. But I soon found out what a lovely soul he was under that brash exterior, and we ended up chatting for an hour or so. A real font of knowledge and a lovely man. I'll long remember him for his 'Hunter's Tea' on our New Year walks.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:32 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Josef.

I never met the man but his posts were always worth reading.
He actually sent me some PMs once or twice when I was clearing a relatives house and there were rather a lot of books.

He seemed to play a large part in the HG Forums and will be missed by many people.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 pm

So sorry to hear this.
I also enjoyed chatting with him in various threads and found him to be polite, informative and witty.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Very, very sad. and a great loss. Josef was a lovely guy who exuded enthusiasm and was excellent company. Stunned by the loss of so many good people from this forum. RIP Josef.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm often tempted to suggest that we do something to celebrate the lives of Josef, Hollowhorn, YokerBrian and others. I don't know what kind of format that celebration would be and how welcome it would be but it would be good to mark their contribution to this forum and to the lives of those who encountered them.

I'm not that savvy with technology and the 'search' functions on forums such as these only serve to baffle me. I'd love to be able to go through the forum and do a collection of their 'best bits' but that would be subjective and because of my limited ability, so much would be left out.

Either way, I hope they are never forgotten by us here.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)