Washington Street School.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Washington Street School.

Postby duck » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:34 pm

You are quite correct; I did say "from Scran". What I did NOT say was from the Scran website. I said I got it from the europeana site and if you care to look at the exact location,
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/0 ... 3B44E.html
you will see that the contributor is "The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland" and that the provider is "Scran". Looks fairly legit to me but maybe I'm naive.

I only wanted to learn about No 59 Washington Street and I greatly appreciate the constructive and informative help provided by Robert Pool.
I certainly had no desire to be "dextered" "bextered" or even "fextered" thank you most kindly.

If, by the way, the photo posted does contravene some regulations, mods please do what is necessary.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:46 pm

I think Dexter's point was that SCRAN (and RCHAMS) are very aggressive in pursuing use of their photos online (I don't see why that should be the case since we, the public, fund their work and should be able to freely see the results, but that's a different argument), and that therefore both you and the forum are put at risk by use of an image from there.

No offence was intended by, certainly, my post, and I'm reasonably sure by Dexter's either.

We're still waiting on an update on that red Telephone Box of yours, btw.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:21 pm

No,no,no! Sorry Josef. Certainly no offence taken from either you or Dexter. A tongue in cheek retort, I'm afraid. I just hope to God my sense of humour isn't turning French.
But I probably am still naive in having used the pic, so lesson learnt.
Point taken about the telephone box - a local landmark now, and will take some fresh photos.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ewanp » Fri May 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Hello
Does anyone know who occupied the building now known as The Axiom Building at 50 - 54 Washington Street, when it was built and what the chimney at the rear of it was for? Thanks, Ewan
ewanp
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Sat May 19, 2018 5:32 am

It was sold in 1899 and sold to W. P. Lowrie & Co Ltd who were wine and brokers and bonded warehouse keepers. They also bottled whisky for James Buchanan & Co Ltd. When Lowrie got into financial trouble he sold the company and building to James Buchanan. Buchanan's whisky distillery was in Washington Street up to the late 1970s, early 1980s when they then moved to Stepps.

https://flic.kr/p/4oN9Uv
Last edited by robertpool on Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 am

The 'Axiom' building replaced a complex of buildings that stood on the site comprising a cooperage, a mill and the Saracen Tube Works (the name Saracen being a relic of Walter Macfarlane's previous ownership of the site), it was built between 1951-55 (you can see the site being cleared for construction in the black and white image). The chimney was for the boiler(s).

(click images for larger res)

1850s

1890s

1950s

Modern view

Modern view
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby robertpool » Sat May 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Walter MacFarlane had the Saracen Foundry in Possilpark

Image1924 Walter Macfarlane & Co, Saracen Foundry, Possilpark, Glasgow by Robert Pool, on Flickr

Hendry Bros Ltd in Robertson Street had a Saracen Tube Works

Image1911 Henry Brothers Limited, Saracen Tube Works, 28-34 Robertson Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool, on Flickr

Chisholm & Law in Washington Street had a Saracen Tubes Works

Image1882 Chisholm & Law, Cast Iron Manufacturers, Saracen Tube Works, Washington Street and 12 Waterloo Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool, on Flickr

I worked in Washington Street for 18 years and the building was always part the bonded warehouse, l can only think that the space was bought by Buchanan whisky. The building was definitely bought in 1899 by W. P. Lowrie who had previously rented the premises
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat May 19, 2018 9:37 pm

I don't think you're old enough to have been working in Washington St during the dates I mentioned ;P

Mcfarlane operated from Washington St for a while, before Possil.

crusty_bint
-
-

Postby robertpool » Sun May 20, 2018 10:24 am

great photos with lots of info. It looks like the original Saracen Tube works were demolished and the bonded warehouse (Buchanan whisky) was built on top of it. The map shows the chimney in the centre of the building (Saracen) but later photos show it at the back of the building (whisky bond). The 1950s photo shows no chimney at all on the property. The only chimneys shown on that map are the 2 at R.M Easdales next to the garage. How you been keeping Crusty mate, l think the last time l saw you was with Mohammed Riaz at the Lyceum :-)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 am

For a wee site less than 200 years old it has a complex history. The Saracen Tube Works only occupied part of the former Saracen Foundry site, the rest being taken up by a variety of businesses like store and warehousing, a mill and a cooperage. The southern two thirds of the Pentagon building occupy what was the moulding sheds (the floor where the molten iron is cast into its moulds) of the foundry. I’ve annotated these views to make it easier to interpret the earlier history from the maps

Also, I’m very well thanks, hows yersel? :) I remember bumping into you at the Lyceum, that was the last time I saw either of you! Feels about forty years ago now…
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby robertpool » Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 am

did you get a copy of the aerial photos or was it you who gave me a copy?
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed May 23, 2018 5:03 pm

I did that :) Paid for at least one of em!
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby robertpool » Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 pm

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)