Postby edward carolan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am

edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Links to funny, cool or interesting stuff

Postby pingu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 pm

16000 free sound effects from the BBC.

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

(searching Glasgow gives some Tram sounds)
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:46 am

for those on facebook, Bob Mazzer has been photographing the people on londons tube for the last 40 years.

some of his pics can be found at https://www.facebook.com/bob.mazzer/media_set?set=a.2675211417632&type=3
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks, looks like a time sponge :D
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RoryChamberz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:07 am

Want to share with you this blog. Some articles may be useful for amazon buyers:
https://mystraightener.com/top-10-best- ... our-dream/
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain
RoryChamberz
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Cabbage » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 pm

A project from the 1950s that is still our best option to reach the stars: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Project_Orio ... propulsion) A space ship propelled by nuclear bombs that it blasts behind itself.
Cabbage
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doorstop » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Cabbage wrote:A project from the 1950s that is still our best option to reach the stars: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Project_Orio ... propulsion) A space ship propelled by nuclear bombs that it blasts behind itself.

I've seen a couple of documentaries on this subject.

As fascinating as it is bonkers.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cabbage » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:51 am

Why bonkers?
Cabbage
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doorstop » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 am

A spacecraft propelled by nuclear bombs?

How many bombs would it take to get a ship to the sort of velocities for interstellar (or even meaningfull interplanetary) travel?

Now double that because you need to decelerate when you reach your destination.

Now double it again because you've got to do the same coming back.

How big is the ship going to be to carry that lot?

Now, take into account you've got to do a terrestrial launch of a craft that may well explode on take off due to malfunction. Carrying all that potential nuclear fallout?

Let's not even get into the weight of the shielding required to protect passengers from the effects of hundreds if not thousands of nuclear explosions mere feet behind the craft they're travelling in.

Like I said, bonkers.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Am I allowed to indulge in a little bit of self promotion?

For the last 10 years or so I have been visiting and matching film locations. Last January I decided to pull them all together in one place and so came up with the domain name Rewoundandfound.com and set about building my own website.

I have never built any sort of website so it was a big learning curve and I also had to work out how to make logos and branding but slowly I worked my way through it.

As of now, a year on I have managed to assemble a hopefully presentable site and add almost all my projects with more to come.

Please have a look and see what you think. Lots of well known films and plenty of Glasgow content so I hope you will find something of interest.

www.rewoundandfound.com

And if you do that sort of thing, drop me a like or follow me on facebook or twitter for updates and project behind the scenes.

Cheers,

Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Had a quick shufti about and it looks great so far Dave; the FB page though . . . oh dear. I'm not sure if it's just me, or the latest "update" but I get big white bars across the page from the various menu topics on the left, which seem to prevent any sort of actions being performed such as "like" the page or even "follow"ing.

That's something I notiecd on a number of pages recently, but it's stopping me follow you on FB! :evil:
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 am

Cheers Boxer, I will look into the facebook thing. I hadn't noticed that but maybe because I'm the admin I get a different view.
Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 pm

BTJustice wrote:Cheers Boxer, I will look into the facebook thing. I hadn't noticed that but maybe because I'm the admin I get a different view.
Dave.

I thought, "I'll go and get a couple of screen grabs, to let Dave see what I'm talking about". And, of course, it's not doing it now! 8O

Carry on! :)
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cabbage » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Doorstop wrote:
How many bombs would it take to get a ship to the sort of velocities for interstellar (or even meaningfull interplanetary) travel?

Thousands, perhaps tens of thousands. (Depends on the speed you want to reach.) You need about a thousand just to get into orbit. That being said, we are talking about a ship that can easily weight more than an aircraft carier. In fact, the heavier it is, the better it functions. That is assuming we are talking about interstellar travel. We need less within the Solar System. And another thing. The journalists call these nuclear devices 'bombs'. In fact they are not bombs but pulse devices.

Now double that because you need to decelerate when you reach your destination.

Ok, but this is still not a problem because we are talking about a ship that may weight as much as we like.

Now double it again because you've got to do the same coming back.

Not necessarily if we colonize Mars or reach the nearest stars.

How big is the ship going to be to carry that lot?

Like I said, as big as we like. It may be as big as a city and weight as much as the Piramid of Cheops.

Now, take into account you've got to do a terrestrial launch of a craft that may well explode on take off due to malfunction. Carrying all that potential nuclear fallout?

Not necessarily. It may be constructed into space. But even if it starts from Earth, the phisicists who came with this idea though of such a possibily (say of a pulse device that does not go off) and took it into account.

Let's not even get into the weight of the shielding required to protect passengers from the effects of hundreds if not thousands of nuclear explosions mere feet behind the craft they're travelling in.

This is the best part. We need very heavy shielding anyway for two more reasons: first to protect the crew from the cosmic rays and second to protect the ship from the sudden jolts generated by the pulse units. Still, this is not a problem as the Orion project can lift ridiculously large payloads as it is based on reactions that are a million times more powerful than chemical ones. That is the beauty of this project compared to all contemporary space rockets: the heavier it is, the better.

Cabbage
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Cabbage » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:13 am

Hm, this forum looks deserted. :(
Cabbage
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions