Metal detecting in Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Metal detecting in Glasgow?

Postby JDom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:19 am

Hello Hidden Glasgow forum,

The name of this forum is awesome and works so well with why I am here but you still find this question a little strange, here goes. I and my father have been metal detecting for about 6 years now and would love to leave England and start doing a little detecting somewhere else for a couple of weeks. We were thinking that Scotland would be a great place to go and it's not so far away. I have a friend that Lives in Glasgow "Duncan" but when asking him where I could go and things like that he was clueless, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

We love looking for anything from treasures and riches to old war artifacts, coins and everything else that comes along the way. Here I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction of where I might have a better chance of finding some great items or maybe, You guys know of some people I can get hold of that have the same interests and then they could point in the right direction.

Really looking forward to some replies guys.

Thanks

JDom
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Metal detecting in Glasgow?

Postby neilmc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am

I used to see the occasional 'detectorist' in the Dams to Darnley country park in the South West of Glasgow, so it may be worthwhile contacting them to see if it is permitted...

http://www.damstodarnley.org

There used to be a lot of industrial activity in the area, and there was also a gun emplacement there during WWII. All of this has been landscaped over, so there may be stuff just beneath the surface...

There's also the Darnley Sycamore nearby, which supposedly marks the spot where Mary, Queen of Scots had a tryst with Lord Darnley.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JDom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks for the reply

I will get onto that link you have provided and then do a little research on the surrounding area.

Thanks again much appreciated
JDom
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JDom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 am

After a little research, I have found that "Dumfries and Galloway" can be a hotspot for metal detectors. The only problem is finding the right people to get the permission to go metal detecting on the certain areas of land, which might prove to be hard work. When I just started to get into metal detecting and I brought my first from the site below, I had never even though of the headache that can come into it ( really understanding the world is not a free world)
http://www.used.forsale/minelab-metal-detector

I have also sent an email to the Dams to Darley admin to see what the rules and regs are for metal detecting there.

Thanks again be back with more results shortly
JDom
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)