Glasgow Zoo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby mooshimooshisan » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:34 pm

The local branch of the SSPCA should be able to tell you what is happening to the animals and what animals are there - and if they can't I am sure they will be straight up for a look! 8O
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:18 pm

Good idea. Should've thought of it as I think someone nearby may be with them as I often see the wee van heading off in the morning. Must jump in front next time :)

As you can see from the llama pic, the animals are being looked after, and since the zoo's been shut for a couple of years now, someone is definitley looking after them and cleaning their cages.

Maybe find out what the furries are yet. Since bears were suggested I keep thinking they are, but don't believe, if you know what I mean :? After all, there's no way they would restrict themselves to a compound with an open door. Must be something like a big, long haired Afghan hound or similar.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:20 pm

I really want to ask... could it have been sheep or goats? As there were many of these runing about all over the place and if you never got a good look...............
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby turbozutek » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:29 am

Not bears, they were removed about a year ago. The bear pits are around the front and are empty.

Last time we went though, we did come face to face (and I mean that in a very literal sense) with a tiger!! :-S

Adimula wasn't happy.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:01 am

Nice try ::):

The domestic stuff (ponies, goats) was caged. Those pics were ruined by the shade of trees.

Can you place the bear pits? The bit I know at the front, walking from the gate, has a lower grassy area that was a falconry/bird area; on the left, the toll, pony compound, then further left to small animal cages, souviner shop and on to the Tropical House. Striaight ahead was/is an open area with the yellow building in pic. Behind and to the left of that is where the furries were running loose and the ostrich cage just behind that.

Tiger? Let me think... yellowy? stripey? No purring? Me running like hell? Nope, none of those ::): ::): ::):
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:15 am

Odd coincidence, just picked up a copy of The Scots magazine, December 1976, featuring an article commemorating the 40th anniversary of the founding of Calderpark Zoo. The dates are listed elsewhere in HG.

In 1976, there were 150 staff, 2 miles of roads constructed and over 400 animals. Winston, the polar bear, Kirsty, the elephant, 2 rhinos, zebras, camels and llamas (well, there's one left), and all on display without bars. The Tropical House, with its occupants behind armourplate glass, houses the offices of the Glasgow Zoological Society Champion, the lion, born 1975. The Primate House with young monkeys and lemurs, indicates the Society's then concern with breeding of species, particulary if endangered.

A new Riverside Walk opened, including nearly 50 acres of Calderpark and an expected 100,000 daffodils due to bloom in spring 1977.

How times changes... sounds like somewhere nice to go at the weekend.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:32 am

Apollo wrote:A new Riverside Walk opened, including nearly 50 acres of Calderpark and an expected 100,000 daffodils due to bloom in spring 1977.

How times changes... sounds like somewhere nice to go at the weekend.

As kids, Calderpark Zoo, was THE place to 'sneak' into (sometimes it was the State Cinema at Shettleston) in the late 60's/early 70's. Unfortunately for us at that time, getting in without paying, was more of a thrill than the Zoo itself as no-one really appreciated it at the time, and I did go back about 1975 just to 'pay-in' at the gates when I had started work......again, the novelty of paying was far greater than the attraction at the time.
Post '76 I never gave the Zoo another thought as it was 'always' going to be there as if indelibly stamped on the landscape.
But having the misfortune to turn into Calderpark Zoo a few weeks ago, just to turn the car around, I was shocked by what I saw/didn't see, but knew what was once there immediately as I felt it.
Times do change, it was somewhere nice to go when the sun shone. It's only when places like the Zoo disappear that you realise what a gap they leave behind.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tommytank » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:40 pm

sorry to drag up an old thread, but does anyone know if theres anything left of the zoo, and where exactly is it? ::):
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:34 pm

tommytank wrote:sorry to drag up an old thread, but does anyone know if theres anything left of the zoo, and where exactly is it? ::):

teh interweb is a marvellous thing, you type in "glasgow zoo" and up comes this

http://www.glasgowzoo.co.uk/articles/zoodetails/zooopening.php

:wink:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:03 am

tommytank wrote:sorry to drag up an old thread, but does anyone know if theres anything left of the zoo, and where exactly is it? ::):

Relatively current pics appeared in the second page of this thread, but there are some more, together with aerial detail here http://www.geewiki.de-soft.co.uk/field. ... GlasgowZoo

The phase of the adjacent housing development referred to has been completed and is occupied. The remaining area is beleived to be being considered, however I also understand that this is being done in such a way that underlying ground contamination will be conveniently 'forgotten', possibly in a similar way to the chrome down at the estate next to Morrisons, Cambuslang. (But you didn't hear that from me).
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tommytank » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:12 am

Apollo wrote:

Relatively current pics appeared in the second page of this thread, but there are some more, together with aerial detail here http://www.geewiki.de-soft.co.uk/field. ... GlasgowZoo

The phase of the adjacent housing development referred to has been completed and is occupied. The remaining area is beleived to be being considered, however I also understand that this is being done in such a way that underlying ground contamination will be conveniently 'forgotten', possibly in a similar way to the chrome down at the estate next to Morrisons, Cambuslang. (But you didn't hear that from me).

Excellent link Apollo! :D

So not much left to see then i take it? :?
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:13 pm

Edinburgh zoo succeeds where Glasgow zoo couldn't due to dithering by the council and planners, and the attentions of pressure groups and detractors.

Edinburgh zoo has an agreement with a development company set up by the council. Seeking almost £60 million to redevlop the zoo over the next 20 years, it has identified 15 of its 90 acres as surplus to requirements, and will sell it off for £15 million, for housing. The zoo is going to chase the Scottish Executive, the National Lottery Fund, and the local council for the remainder of the money they want.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:26 am

Just read this for the first time

nice pics Apollo, did you ever go back and/or find out what the furries where?!

I live not too far from where the zoo used to be, in 1990 or thereabouts when i was at primary school we (and a lot of other schools) went to the zoo to do orienteering of all things!
i'd been to the zoo before, and i'm sure that when we went orienteering we got to see areas of the zoo that were usually off limits to visitors.

I can't remember much else other than my team didn't win and the hall in Broomhill park was the final "checkpoint" and everyone got (if memory serves me correctly) a free carton of milk

Did anyone else here ever go orienteering at the zoo?
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

glasgow zoo

Postby Craigyboy7 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:07 pm

i remeber going to the zoo for orienteering between 1994 -1996, i twice came in second in my class, i also remeber just wandering about daft half the time and not actually using the map! It was great fun!
Incidently i was at edinburgh zoo on monday it does upset me that we don't have a zoo in glasgow anymore, although i must admit it was a good day out!
Am i right in saying glasgow had a white tiger at one point?
And It had polar bears aswell im sure?
Craigyboy7
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:41 pm

I went in the early eighties, I only remember a rather small elephant, a bad tempered rhino, and two polar bears in the most awful concrete hole in the ground.

It was all pretty grim :(
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects