Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Edinburgh

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:36 pm

The spirally hotel thing has been approved! Rejoice; that boring old skyline of spires and crap is about to have a new addition:

Hurd_Hair_Hotel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Sounds bad whatever it is. Any more details on this inappropriate thing (seen nothing in the Scotsman letters page which I monitor daily btw ) ?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Check it out...: http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/5425/Jes ... otel.html#

I don't suppose anybody would expect me to like it - though the building itself, I sort of kind of do, actually. It's bold and different. But for any sake, not there! Talk about damned inappropriate, and it's trying hard to be even more inappropriate than the 70s disaster that sits there just now. It'll dominate that skyline. (Somebody put it well - it's like putting a Ginger Baker drum solo in the middle of Cohen's 'Hallelujah'.)

That and it's 60 foot taller than it was when originally put forward. And originally they weren't going to build on what was going to be a partly-reinstated St James Square. Now it's to be full of that.

A lot of folks are arguing that it's just what's needed to bring a bit of modernity to the city centre. Hmm:

Florence_plus_Curlything.jpg

Venice_plus_Curlything.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Hmmm...........Interesting coiled structure. Vaguely canine?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Could be, VT, could be 8O

I see this thread has passed summer by completely. Which is fine, as the summer passed us all by:

It's the usual, but what can you do? Here's the rejuvenated Advocate's Close, looking not all that different from the unrejuvenated Advocate's Close for the most part:

Victoria Terrace is still as nice as it ever is:

And last but by no means least, auld Carolus Secundus and his cuddie in Parliament Square, enjoying the relative quiet:

The sun did come out a bit, honest.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Beautiful work .. love it.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Not sure where to post, so here goes.

Enjoyed these two recent Edinburgh stories;

Ed-cops not good at dealing with crime.
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/n ... -1-3922114

Man falls off bicycle (no vehicles involved), cops attend [is that 6 police + a traffic warden(?) in the photo]
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/n ... -1-3922046
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Ed-Evening-News not good at journalism :wink:

The first one, who knows? No really - I just don't know what to make of political stories in the press now. You end up going with your own prejudices - in my case that the Evening News/Scotsman are a weird Daily Mail Mini-Me, and if they said the sky was blue I'd go out and check.

As for the second, 'tis odd indeed, but they regularly post click-bait about cyclists - the below the line commenters largely hate cyclists. Which brings me back to the Daily Mail Mini-Me thing. Which encourages me a bit to leave Edinburgh, frankly.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Bluddy hell, sounds terrible. Edinburgh world heritage status in peril.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... developers

"Black, meanwhile, has made several representations to Unesco about the demolition of listed buildings within the protected zone but his concerns were ignored. He is hopeful though, that the Ribbon Hotel and the Aztec theme park on the Calton Hill will see his city stripped of its Unesco status. “My city simply no longer deserves to have it,” he said."
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:25 pm

At the risk of sounding like a panic merchant, I tend to see it like David Black does. I'm probably going to leave soon, partly due to what he outlines there. It's just too bloody awful to stick around and witness, in a city that I do love.

Not that anybody loves New St Andrew's House or the St James Centre, I think the Douglas Hurd Hairdo is the last straw. Word of General Register House even being considered as a hotel means that the game's a bogey. The moneyed lot and their Jackdaw-brained cheerleaders have won the day, sad to say. I can only hope they don't fuck the place up too much before their time passes.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:25 am

Season's Greetings from Edinburgh.
F51A5749-23.jpg
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Snow! Well, there was a couple of weekends back anyway. I can't resist the stuff for some reason, so out I went.

There wasn't a lot of the stuff, but just enough to make it look all bonnie and glowing and that:

Now, usually on a Saturday night you don't go up Calton Hill, for health and safety reasons. Not the cruisers so much, they're harmless enough, but because it's an occasional hangout for real properly nasty types. However, it were freezing. Nasty types lose their powers below about 2ºC, I've heard. Anyway, I saw a few people of the non-bam variety heading up, and the hill really suits harsh weather, so...

It was worth the slippery climb:

Some of the aforementioned non-bams in the distance:

The snow doing its hush-all-over-the-world thing:

I get really fed up with Edinburgh sometimes, but now and again it reveals some serious charm and beauty. It's not so bad:
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Fantastic, as per.

Wonderfully atmospheric.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Thank you kindly, sir.

(The photos reflect how it felt there, really - in a silent wee cocoon suspended above the city. Wish it happened more often, though the rarity makes it what it is.)
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Doorstop wrote:Fantastic, as per.

Wonderfully atmospheric.

I'll second that. And it took a long time as well, compared to how things used to be done about here.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World