Roman Glasgow/Cathures

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Roman Glasgow/Cathures

Postby jock78 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Line of Bothwellhaugh, Balmuildy through Castle Street.docx
Hi Edward,
It could do with locating on a map.
I attach an extract of the 'pastmap' with the line of the Bothwellhaugh- Balmuildy route. The line and the dots come up when you click the Historical option.

I assume your point is that the E-W ditch could be the ditch to the road? I note elsewhere in that article they there is a reference to rubbish being deliberately spread on the roads!

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Hard to understand that map, maybe if you could send more of it, it might make more sense.
What are the circles and is there a difference between the clear ones and filled ones and do the colours signify anything.
On second thoughts I think that St James' Rd. is a better way to Dobbies Loan than Rottenrow which probably pre-dates the Romans.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi Edward,
The map is easy to get into. Just google http://www.pastmap.com/ which gives a map of the UK. successively click onto the location you want until the map is focused in to the level of detail you want. If you then click on the 'historic environment option it highlights the route shown and all the 'blobs' Each of these can be clicked on to give detail of that location ( you will probably find the item that you referred to under one of these 'blobs').

I am really surprised at the detail shown of this Bothwellhaugh- Balmuildy line which implied that it is quite firmly known- I would have thought that a that a broad dashed indication would be more applicable?

I know a similar line across Glasgow is shown on some old small scale maps. I think you are right- could be pre-roman but they would no doubt have used such a road anyway.

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:53 pm

edward carolan wrote:Hard to understand that map, maybe if you could send more of it, it might make more sense.
What are the circles and is there a difference between the clear ones and filled ones and do the colours signify anything.
On second thoughts I think that St James' Rd. is a better way to Dobbies Loan than Rottenrow which probably pre-dates the Romans.

Edward,
The line of the Bothwellhaugh-Balmuildy Road actually follows both st James Road and Dobbies Loan. One of the 'Blobs' at the east end of St James Road can be opened up to list a report of an E-W ditch 1.8m deep, 5m wide.

It is supposed to have been built to keep out the Jacobites when they entered the town but could be much earlier?

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pointyears » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Archaeologists started investigating a site known as Crutherland Cave, Calderglen, in early 1990s after a stone frieze of Mithras and the bull was found there but it may have been part of stolen property, planked, from the burglarly of a Northern Ireland stately home in the 1990s. Full story here:

http://www.eastkilbridenews.com/fim458bhi
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jock78 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Pointyears,
That is very interesting but I could not open the link.
If the item originated in Ireland it must have been taken in turn from elsewhere as the Romans did not invade there.
I understand that the worship of Mithras was a soldier's cult involving a ritual involving being buried something like the masons.
Many years ago I read a book about Romans in Scotland who were Mithras worshipers, it was called 'The Eagle in the Snow' by Wallace Bream- very apt for guys wearing open sandals in winter!
John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi Ponty ears et Al,
This is just an update of my views posted earlier;
I have added comment about a mound knowed as'The Grummell Knowe' located at the Bell o' the Brae' and dug out in the 15C to fill holes in the road etc!

This is the same location that Wallace clashed with Edward's invaders in the 13C. An obvious site for a fortification such as a roman fort of a much earlier period?

John Jock78
Roman Glasgow.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:04 pm

base for sketch.docx
Hi all,
the attached adds some extra data to the site of old Glasgow .
I only recently found reference to the 'Girth Burn running E-W below the cathedral.
What is significant about it is that it runs along the contour which, to my mine shows that it is artificial following a trench which had been dug at an earlier date. It still exists in culvert and indeed must have been covered under the high street.
I have also shown the approximate position of the ditch which Edward referred to and the 'gorge' where Buchanan thought had been Roman?

None of this is conclusive but helps to picture three sides of a rectangular fort?

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects