Water on QVD?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Water on QVD?

Postby Timchilli » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 am

Morning, all.

A small part of the road on Queen Victoria Drive collapsed over the weekend, and water has been discovered under the road. Today I hear that engineers have taken samples of the water and have determined that it is natural spring water.

Can anyone point me in the direction of old maps showing water courses around this area? The collapse is just to the south of railway bridge.

Cheers

TC
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Water on QVD?

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:13 pm

There has never been a watercourse in the immediate vicinity of that point. The nearest are/were the Yokermains Burn (still exists in culverted form) a short distance to the north (it crosses Lincoln Avenue between Kirkton Avenue and Embo Drive) and the Whiteinch Burn (now part of the sewerage system) a bit further away to the south-east (it flowed down the tree line between Scotstoun Leisure Centre and Westland Drive).

Click here to see the OS 1864 1:2500 plan of the area, courtesy of the NLS website's historic maps of Scotland section. The nearest landmark to the QVD railway bridge would be the farm building named Windyedge (would have been situated just south of the lower curve of Windyedge Crescent in Jordanhill) - I'd estimate the bridge would be a very short distance due west of it.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Oldandbold » Sat May 15, 2010 7:28 pm

The yokermains burn used to regularly flood the back gardens on Wykeham Road. Circa 1950 .Could the water on Victoria Drive be draining from Scotstounhill station? Also a large water main goes up Victoria Drive and over the railway bridge on the east side. Possibly a leak in this very large main.
Oldandbold
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat May 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Oldandbold wrote:The yokermains burn used to regularly flood the back gardens on Wykeham Road. Circa 1950 .Could the water on Victoria Drive be draining from Scotstounhill station? Also a large water main goes up Victoria Drive and over the railway bridge on the east side. Possibly a leak in this very large main.

The back gardens of the Wykeham Road properties (or, rather, those that back onto the primary school football pitch) were badly flooded much more recently than 1950; the last time I remember it happening was on Fair Friday 1995, though on that occasion the floodwater emanated mainly from the sewerage system rather than the burn.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deconstruction » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:27 pm

I can't quite get my bearings on this map:
Which waterway is shown running into the Clyde at Scotstoun?
It also seems to me that several place-names are in odd places (e.g. Blawarthill, Killermont)
deconstruction
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Grahame » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:31 pm

deconstruction wrote:Which waterway is shown running into the Clyde at Scotstoun?

Garscadden burn maybe?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deconstruction » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:16 am

Thanks, could be.
I found this:
It seems that most of these burns now run in culverts.

Any idea which places are indicated by 'Fereuʃtõ' and 'Farguʃk' (on the previous map)?
(I suppose that the 'ʃ' will be 's')
deconstruction
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects