High Street neglect

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

High Street neglect

Postby Grahame » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Glasgow Appliances on the corner of High St and Duke St, and Ladywell Crystals & Healing, two very successful businesses in the High Street (Glasgow Appliances has been running for 30 years), have been served with 4-week eviction notices by City Property, the current building factors.

This part of the High Street, the oldest part of Glasgow, has consistently been neglected by City Property and their predecessor Council subsidiary Ryden over the years and most of the buildings are infested with dry rot. Ladywell has been trying to get something done about this since 2010 as they were not informed of the rot when they took out their lease. CP claim that the lease conditions state that tenants are responsible for building upkeep and insurance - yet they are happy to lease the buildings without telling the tenants about the rot and have been trying to close down Ladywell for some time now over this dispute. If you're on Facepalm, check out the GHSMA page for more details and show your support. There was some publicity in the Evening Times and STV about this last week.

Ladywell have tried to organise a meeting with CP to try to reach some agreement, only to have it cancelled by CP at the last minute once they found out what questions were going to be asked. A small peaceful demo outside CP's offices on Monday failed to hand in a petition of 5000 signatures protesting against the closures as CP refused to accept it - and the eviction notice arrived on Tuesday.

It is scandalous that CP and GCC are allowing these historic buildings in the heart of Glasgow to rot away. Our history is enshrined in the fabric of these buildings. It's a disgrace the High Street, the birthplace of Glasgow in the Medieval Quarter is so neglected.
Last edited by Grahame on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: High Street neglect

Postby Targer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Can't you FAX the petition with its 5000 signature to them? Use ant avenue open to you to reach them.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sun May 03, 2015 10:27 am

Oh, I didn't know about this. Glasgow Appliances is a great wee shop.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri May 08, 2015 6:14 pm

I agree that this part of the city is shamefully neglected but it's all part of the council's grand plan to rid it of "low rent" establishments and gentrify it. The sooner these Labour bastards at GCC are kicked out like their Westminster counterparts, the better. Maxton must be spinning.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Haggis » Sun May 10, 2015 6:45 pm

I lived on Bridgegate in 60s 70s.When there was good range of little shops and cafes on Briggait and Saltmarket ,The cross was busy when the train station was opened,And since its closing its never been the same,I hope crossrail does happen with hub station as it would help the whole area,I also remember high st all the way up with beautiful buildings by Adam etc and the huge white church at top left of High st next to red sandstone one.So sad that the most historic area in the city is being treated in this way,It should be the equivalent of Royal mile.The Barrowlands area could be a great bustling music area,The saltmarket and Bridgegate is at the moment being sandblasted .But a lot of the little shops are all closed up,I Hope the new admin at GCC will do things differently.Labour have been bad for biz and as an ex labour voter it saddens me to say this.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby the bar biographer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Haggis wrote:I lived on Bridgegate in 60s 70s.When there was good range of little shops and cafes on Briggait and Saltmarket ,The cross was busy when the train station was opened,And since its closing its never been the same,I hope crossrail does happen with hub station as it would help the whole area,I also remember high st all the way up with beautiful buildings by Adam etc and the huge white church at top left of High st next to red sandstone one.So sad that the most historic area in the city is being treated in this way,It should be the equivalent of Royal mile.The Barrowlands area could be a great bustling music area,The saltmarket and Bridgegate is at the moment being sandblasted .But a lot of the little shops are all closed up,I Hope the new admin at GCC will do things differently.Labour have been bad for biz and as an ex labour voter it saddens me to say this.

Agree totally. This mirrors what happened with the Old College Bar (landlords and councillors colluding in proposed destruction of a historic building). But GCC are just continuing with their policy over decades, if not centuries, of destroying old Glasgow to replace it with ill-conceived projects that owe nothing to the unique character of Glasgow. Questions must be asked about who is profiting from these developments.
http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/barbiographer
the bar biographer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:13 pm

the bar biographer wrote:
Haggis wrote:I lived on Bridgegate in 60s 70s.When there was good range of little shops and cafes on Briggait and Saltmarket ,The cross was busy when the train station was opened,And since its closing its never been the same,I hope crossrail does happen with hub station as it would help the whole area,I also remember high st all the way up with beautiful buildings by Adam etc and the huge white church at top left of High st next to red sandstone one.So sad that the most historic area in the city is being treated in this way,It should be the equivalent of Royal mile.The Barrowlands area could be a great bustling music area,The saltmarket and Bridgegate is at the moment being sandblasted .But a lot of the little shops are all closed up,I Hope the new admin at GCC will do things differently.Labour have been bad for biz and as an ex labour voter it saddens me to say this.

Agree totally. This mirrors what happened with the Old College Bar (landlords and councillors colluding in proposed destruction of a historic building). But GCC are just continuing with their policy over decades, if not centuries, of destroying old Glasgow to replace it with ill-conceived projects that owe nothing to the unique character of Glasgow. Questions must be asked about who is profiting from these developments.

On a slightly different note, the outgoing incumbent must be a bit flush. No job to go to and all that. :wink:
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development