Buried chemical waste hazard

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buried chemical waste hazard

Postby RDR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:51 pm

dazza wrote:How about some buried radium? In 1938 the Western Infirmary Radiotherapy Dept. acquired a radium beam unit which carried three grammes of radium. However, with the fear of air strikes during WWII, a 50ft deep steel-lined concrete shaft was constructed near Dumbarton Road to store the radium for the duration of the war. It would be lowered into the shaft in the afternoon and retrieved again the next morning. I'm guessing this "superstructure" is still there.

Do you think its near the underground car park?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 pm

The "field" from this amount of Radium should be of no problem because its well shielded by earth. The problem lies if it gets outside of its containment then it is of concern.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 pm

I seem to recall in the 1970s the Radiotherapy unit (the current F block) at the Western extended out underneath Dumbarton Road towards the then Roost pub, to install 2 radiotherapy units. Could this have been where the shaft was?
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:18 am

RDR wrote:Do you think its near the underground car park?

I think it could be, or certainly under Phase 1 somewhere. Remind me, what are the university's reasons for retaining the Phase 1 building? Something about it being safer to just leave it be. I can't remember whether it's due to contamination or old mine workings, etc.
dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 am

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:Do you think its near the underground car park?

I think it could be, or certainly under Phase 1 somewhere. Remind me, what are the university's reasons for retaining the Phase 1 building? Something about it being safer to just leave it be. I can't remember whether it's due to contamination or old mine workings, etc.

I'm not sure, but as I'm up at the university, today, I will ask.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:47 pm

dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 pm

The view from the two university types I spoke to was that officially the university is still surveying the WIG site and no final decision has been taken, however, for research purposes they like the layout of the WIG building as it allows large research teams to work closely together in collaboration, as apparently the era of one man and his dug doing research is long gone.
Don't know how much that adds to the debate....
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects