Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Postby Lawman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Yeah, just the hallway/stairwell lighting. Nobody lives there, but it is still a workplace, so the lighting remains in place for safety reasons.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Noticed whilst driving on the M74 this morning that they have put up a crane to remove the telecoms gear from the roof of the right hand tower. The end must be nigh. Were they waiting on the lease of the roof to expire?
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 am

pingu wrote:the same happened when the red road flats where getting ripped apart...they keep the landing lights on but as no one lives there all the house lights are off so only leaving a big strip lit up.

The only lights on in the Red Road blocks now are in the YMCA tower (sorry, David Naismith Court :? ) All the other are completely dark; I suspect they're all ready to come down whenever they get the green light.

What I don't really understand is, if they were ready to be blown up at the start of the Commonwealth Games, why are they still there over 3 months later?
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 am

Only meant for that to post once!! 8O
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:37 am

Boxer6 wrote:
What I don't really understand is, if they were ready to be blown up at the start of the Commonwealth Games, why are they still there over 3 months later?

Possibly budgetary reasons, or maybe it's weather related, the likelihood of high winds that could carry the dust cloud (especially given the risk that there could still be minor traces of asbestos in there)......for that matter I've never known blow downs to take place in the winter months (someone correct me if I'm wrong), they always seem do it in summer time, or at least late spring or early autumn.

Equally it may just be to do with the logistics of organizing the exclusion zone on the big day....sorry that's as far as my thinking takes me.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:51 pm

The last Roystonhill tower was blown down 1st December last year.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:15 pm

DavidMcD316 wrote:The last Roystonhill tower was blown down 1st December last year.

Well that's that theory up the spout ::): ::):
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:
DavidMcD316 wrote:The last Roystonhill tower was blown down 1st December last year.

Well that's that theory up the spout ::): ::):

Maybe so, but it made sense to me!
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:15 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:..for that matter I've never known blow downs to take place in the winter months (someone correct me if I'm wrong), they always seem do it in summer time, or at least late spring or early autumn.

I'm fairly sure the second lot of Fountainwell flats went down in November as did Norfolk Court.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:53 am

Bluevale to come down in January.
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:48 pm

It was a lovely theory :)

Sounds like a very odd but fairly-obvious-once-you've-heard-of-it method of demolishing the towers - a platform for workies to dismantle each tower, to be lowered along with the building. Pretty much the modern tower construction method in reverse I suppose, with the platform being jacked down rather than up:

http://www.wheatley-group.com/press-and ... rticle=172

I hadn't heard of it, at least.

PS Can everybody stop calling things 'iconic' now? We are not the Eastern Orthodox Church.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby kirstymaclaren » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:44 pm

My theory about the red road flats delay is that when they were going to blow them down for the commonwealth they would work fast to get everything prepped in time. But when they decided to can the idea they could slow back down a bit since there was no longer a rush.

Actually, were they not going to wait until all were empty and do them all together?
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 am

The last red road flat, the YMCA one is still heavily populated. I work round the corner, and when i leave at night just about every light is on!! Not sure what the plan is with this last one.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:18 am

DavidMcD316 wrote:The last red road flat, the YMCA one is still heavily populated. I work round the corner, and when i leave at night just about every light is on!! Not sure what the plan is with this last one.

It will be coming down eventually, it all depends on how fast they can get everyone into alternative accommodation so they can empty it out. Same situation as for Norfolk Court in Laurieston which has a stay of execution for the same reason unless this has already happened???
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

kirstymaclaren wrote:My theory about the red road flats delay is that when they were going to blow them down for the commonwealth they would work fast to get everything prepped in time. But when they decided to can the idea they could slow back down a bit since there was no longer a rush.

Actually, were they not going to wait until all were empty and do them all together?

Apparently a fair bit of time was spent in the summer welding and fitting bits of steel back into the already demo prepared / weakened Red Road flats after it was decided that they were not coming down when originally planned.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development