Demolition of Buchanan Street Concert Hall Steps

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Demolition of Buchanan Street Concert Hall Steps

Postby Doorstop » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Despite a petition against it, the council has lodged an application to demolish the Concert Hall steps at the head of Buchanan Street.

STV Article

Lodge an official complaint against the planning application:

Official Planning Permission Application Details
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Demolition of Buchanan Street Concert Hall Steps

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:06 pm

To be replaced with what? This will be the SECOND time they've demolished those steps - the first time was when they were building the Galleries back in the mid-90s, and they were putting the west section of the mall in underneath them.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Logging onto the site only gives drawing of the proposed demolition area, not what the replacement will be so your guess is as good as mine.

Mine is another set of stairs and a bung in someone's hip pocket.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:07 am

The steps are to be demolished as part of the expansion of the Buchanan Galleries.

This includes:
Demolishing the steps, replacing with a tall glass drum type entrance, with scenic lifts to the Sauchiehall St side. Internally there is vertical circulation to access the upper levels of extended mall

Demolishing the existing carpark that stretches along North Hanover Street and replacing with a cinema, large M&S etc

Rebuilding a new car park in the current Queen St station vacant site (where the steamers queue for taxis on a saturday night) which will be 10 storeys tall, with a blank ramp facade facing George Square above the millennium hotel. A link bridge will be made to take shoppers from the car park to the new shopping replacing the existing car park.

The gap between the card shop and the Forbidden Planet building, currently occupied by the tourist info place, will be infilled with new retail, which will run through to Dundas street also (if i remember correctly)

There will also be connections to the upgraded Queen Street station, in the form of an escalator and shops.

It adds up to a pretty horrific overscaled proposal IMO and should rightly be objected to on several grounds.

The application can be viewed here:

https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/onl ... BKNEX0RT00

edited to add the dundas street info
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks for that, BB.

Well played.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am

Bingo Bango wrote:
It adds up to a pretty horrific overscaled proposal IMO and should rightly be objected to on several grounds.

A bit like the Galleries was originally back in the early 90s when it was first proposed. I still think it is just one big nondescript, unimaginative hulk of a building - unlike the St Enoch Centre, which was quite novel in its day, but has since been bastardised and lost most of its late '80s character by all the alterations and add-on bits over the years.

On balance though there isn't a lot here we didn't know already apart from a few details such as the cylindrical entrance/restaurant where the steps are for example. That is going to change the vista looking up Buchanan Street quite radically - I thought that the facade to the Concert Hall would be a difficult thing to get permission to change, despite it's only been standing for 24 years.

The concept of these giant megastructures seems to be very much back in vogue.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:56 am

The problem I have with the scheme is that, come 6 oclock, some heavies (no offence Doorstop!) can saunter over and effectively close off a large portion of the very centre of the city. They talk of public space and interaction in all the design statements and concept imagery etc, but when it comes down to it, this is just a large shop.

Before we even get to discussing the design aesthetics, just take a minute to consider the scale of the thing! 10 storeys of car park mass, immediately behind the Hotel to George Square. Does anyone recall the uproar when Reiach + Hall proposed a tall building as part of the development of George House next door? It was considered totally out of order to be putting something like that so close to the square, it was said. Even though it was a considered approach to a well scaled building. This proposes the ramp section of the car park as the only feature here. And we all know just how much money is not thrown at car parks to get them treated with decent materials.

All these little things just add up to a horrible big mess.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rabmania » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Exactly BB, add privatisation of public space to the mix, the desertification of surrounding streets, and the highly dubious method of funding this monstrosity, make me wonder how we can let it happen.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:51 am

Bingo Bango wrote:The problem I have with the scheme is that, come 6 oclock, some heavies (no offence Doorstop!) can saunter over and effectively close off a large portion of the very centre of the city. They talk of public space and interaction in all the design statements and concept imagery etc, but when it comes down to it, this is just a large shop.

No offence taken as you are factually bang on the money, Sir.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm

However, if GCC want it to happen, which they do - they (this applies to local authorities in general, really) - have shown plenty of times in the past they are capable of steamrollering it through any public opposition - David and Goliath all over again I'm afraid.....if history is any teacher.

The proposed car park isn't any uglier than the current one, just that it will be a block further down North Hanover Street.....you could argue that the Building and Printing College (even though it is now listed) is an ugly structure as well which looms over George Square. But because its been there since 1965 we accept it. This is when it all gets rather subjective.

So criticizing it on architectural merit alone isn't going to wash with any planning inquiry really, if the goal of the thing is further regeneration. Whatever the failings of the current Galleries and Concert Hall as pieces of architecture, you can't deny their presence hasn't transformed the top end of Buchanan Street which was a run-down, dank and dingy place where no-one wanted to go. When it was empty and the old NAAFI building was there, it had the same feel that the ex-Goldbergs site has today.

PS - hope they are fixing the crumbling Cathedral St bridge whilst they are at it!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Is there any disabled access to the front (steps side) of GRCH at the moment? If not, I take it the proposal will rectify this.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:49 am

The Egg Man wrote:Is there any disabled access to the front (steps side) of GRCH at the moment? If not, I take it the proposal will rectify this.

Too logical Egg Man.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:54 am

I like the college of building and printing, it just needs a spruce up (ie, not colouring it pink!!)

Not sure of the great loss of the steps to be honest, I won't miss them.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mercury » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Lawman wrote:I like the college of building and printing, it just needs a spruce up (ie, not colouring it pink!!)

Not sure of the great loss of the steps to be honest, I won't miss them.

I missed them once. Skint my knee something terrible. :(
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:35 pm

::):
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development