Old Mines & Underground Ownership

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: coalboard

Postby RDR » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
north glasgow dave wrote:i had to get a coalboard report when i bought this house..turns out theres an old mineshaft entrance 25 metres from my house.....

Isn't it standard practice to get a Coalboard report when buying a house?

I've had to get one for each of the three houses I've bought (mind you, each of them was in an area with a history of mining in reasonable proximity).

Yes it is and my present house is on a brownfield site, and the mortgage provider asked for further checks over and above the coal board report.
Mind you, there can't be any bits of industrial Lanarkshire that aren't riddled with mine shafts.
For that matter the upperward of Lanarkshire (the rural part) has the same problem due to the shale extraction in areas like Tarbrax.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

belmont crescent

Postby north glasgow dave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:40 pm

wasnt there old terrace houses in belmont street. that just fell down.also tennements in springfield road parkhead just fell down.. think there was a few people killed in the parkhead collapse..
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Old Mines & Underground Ownership

Postby banjo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:42 pm

we had a cpo slapped on us in feb 1983 because of the building collapsing two closes down from us.duntocher rd dalmuir ,near the station.rear wall collapsed in the middle of the night.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby north glasgow dave » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:17 am

was that a compulsary purchase order.
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:10 am

sure was dave.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macminerinc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am

OLD MINES ETC

Having worked in my younger years in Mine Survey Department of Central West Collieries of the Scottish Division of the NCB, I can advise Glaswergians that minerial underground extraction(coal,iron stone & fireclay workings) plans are available from approx. 1850 onwards.

Prior to the 1850, underground mine surveying was not carried out, with exception by some of the weathy land owners.

Around 1890 underground surveying became popular because the amount of mineral being removed by underground and open-cast extraction could check by surveying calculations. Thereby the mine owners could check to see if any manager or workers were helping themselve to the mineral being extracted.

Also mine owners could check the bonus calculations. Underground bonus was calculated on the amount of coal each face stripper could fill into a tub.

The Coal Aurothie in England olds all mine plans of the Scottish coalfields dating from some of the oldest records up to and encluding past day operations.

For email users the 'old-maps.co.uk can be very helpfull in locating old collieries and mines which are not located on present day O.S. maps or the Scottish Mining Musem at Lady Victoria Colliery, Netongrange, Mid Lothian.

For those that wish to find out a bit more regarding coal mining in scotland please feel free to contact me on [email protected], and will try to answer any questions.
macminerinc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby moonbeam » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Crusader Avenue in Knightswood has had a mine shaft collapse. Its likely to be the Western Colliery closed
in 1896 twin shaft. Tons of hard core are being poured in. GHA may have to demolish some houses.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Heard to-day that the two houses to the right of the hole in Crusader Ave are being pulled down on Monday.
Apparently 300 tons of whinstone have gone into the hole which goes down to around 140-160m or so.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Gerry B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Memorial To Blantyre Dixons Colliery Disaster.
Still After A Few Years Of This Monument Being Erected.
Not Convinced This Statue Is Appropriate "With The Miner Jumping
And Removing His Bunnet" Celebrating 200+ Deaths...
The Last Time I looked In The Mirror! I Was Still There......
Gerry B
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dingdong » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:03 pm

I remember the mine where Summerston Asda is,it ran along to the back of the primary school and the cemetery when I was young the ground around the mine was on fire for more than a year we could start fires by digging down an inch or two. Wonder how safe those houses built around there are, vent pipes can be seen in the office park near Killermont View.
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Re:

Postby Icecube » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Gerry B wrote:Image
Memorial To Blantyre Dixons Colliery Disaster.
Still After A Few Years Of This Monument Being Erected.
Not Convinced This Statue Is Appropriate "With The Miner Jumping
And Removing His Bunnet" Celebrating 200+ Deaths...

I agree Gerry and think it has nowhere near the class and dignity of the Auchengeich Memorial.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1514078
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:09 pm

There's quite a lot of evidence of mining in Linn Park, including this hidden adit.

stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:45 am

banjo wrote:we had a cpo slapped on us in feb 1983 because of the building collapsing two closes down from us.duntocher rd dalmuir ,near the station.rear wall collapsed in the middle of the night.

Co-incidentally my ex- wife's uncle, lived in that same block and was moved out due to subsidence. His name was Ian Taylor.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ReidS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 am

Are olk mines the reason that there have been more sinkholes recently? I heard one report that blam,ed heavy rain and don't really know a great deal about them.
ReidS
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby edward carolan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:24 pm

The original entrance to Dixon's Mine(he of Dixon's Blazes) is on the north side of Allison St. at the corner with Cathcart Rd. The workings extend to Dumbreck.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)