Manufacturer's plates and stanks seen in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Manufacturer's plates and stanks seen in Glasgow

Postby cell » Thu May 09, 2013 3:58 pm

That’s a cracker, is that an old railway bridge?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Noticed this 'A&J Main' barn
beyond the Gillies & Mackay /
Cairn O'Mohr car park at
Easterinchmichael nr Errol Station
late May Bank Holiday weekend 2013.

MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Not much info on this company, most safes were made in Birmingham and I suspect Fishers is a supplier rather than a manufacturer, but as always any additional information on the company would be appreciated.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Not sure if this company was related to the more famous Sir William Arrol company which was based in Glasgow and was responsible for the Forth Rail Bridge among other. All I can find on Oliver & Arrol was that it was set up by J Cameron Arrol (who lived in Glasgow) and William Oliver, they had a foundry on Leith Walk and their partnership was dissolved in 1882.
This plate came from a scrap yard so I’ve no idea what it was originally on but I suspect it was from a bridge given the size of the plate and the examples of this firm’s work that I could find. Here is a picture of a similar plate insitu on a pipe bridge in Forfar
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/16 ... aqueducts/
And a railway footbridge in the Highlands
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/82 ... n+station/
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jimtoner » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 pm

cell wrote:While we are on the topic of farm machinery this is a good one from a company that I had never heard of.
William Dickie and Sons manufactured wind powered machinery that pumped water and other agricultural equipment. Those of a certain age may remember seeing these small windmills in the fields across Scotland. The company was formed in 1872 and latterly their Victoria Works were in East Kilbride, this is now the site of Atholl House, the South Lanarkshire Council offices. I believe the company was closed in the 1960s.

In Calderglen Country Park at the Museum of Rural Life in East Kilbride you can see a well preserved example of a "Dickie's Windmill" which is more than 100 years old.
© Copyright Robert Struthers and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3144655

the initials S T on the plate possibly mean it might have came from a dickie swath turner like this one I bought for my new business. once I have cleaned the makers plate up I will post anther picture of it along with a smaller one which also came of a swath turner but the larger plate was missing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimtoner
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:49 am

Great info Jim and you are right my plate is from a swath turner, I checked the Patent No and GB556719 is for “improvements in and relating to swath turners JAMES DICKIE, WILLIAM DICKIE & SONS LTD” applied for 1942 granted 1943

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicat ... 6719A&KC=A

note if you are doing a search on a six figure British number before 1980 you need to prefix it with GB

Having never looked up patent numbers, I thought I would check the number out that was on your plate, however the 5 fig numbers were used before 1915 and were reused every year, therefore unless you have a date it makes them difficult to check. However based on the amount of patents that were issued every year, your 28937 puts it between 1902 and 1913.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of the finished machine.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:18 am

Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Nice one
From Elevatorpedia

http://elevation.wikia.com/wiki/Ellis_%26_McDougall

"Ellis & McDougall Lifts Ltd. was a small independent elevator manufacturer based in Glasgow, Scotland and was founded in 1964 by Kenneth McDougall. McDougall has been running a number of businesses for the past 45 years. Ellis & McDougall lifts was his most successful and widely respected company, employing 250 people with a turnover of £8 million.

Most of its installations can be found in and around Glasgow, particularly in public buildings such as libraries, hospitals and car parks as the company had a close relationship with the local authority. Many housing blocks in Glasgow still have Ellis & McD branded elevators. It was taken over by Kone in 1992, and the brand has subsequently disappeared."
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Their stuff is pretty basic but rugged and built to last!

Their old factory is at Broomloan Road, still has the old sign up too, one for the old signage thread!! They later moved to Broad St in Bridgeton where they were bought by Kone as above, run seperately under the Ellis & McDougall name for some years in the early 90s then absorbed completely. Kone were then based in Broad Street until a few years ago.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:11 pm

I have walked past this many times and not noticed it, I have never heard of this company
Cathedral st, 2cd January 2014

Cathedral st, 2cd January 2014
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:09 am

That’s an excellent find and a cracking plate, I’ve had a look for the company, Smith and Naysmith, Bellahouston Ironworks, but there doesn’t seem to be much information available, even the normally reliable Grace’s Guide has let me down. I also had a look on the NLS map site but couldn’t find a “Bellahouston Ironworks” marked, I’d be interested to hear if anyone has any history on this firm or where it’s factory was.

Couple of links to the bridge on the RCAHMS site, seemingly built around 1878-80

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/571023/

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/16 ... on+bridge/
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi cell, I couldnt find anything either

Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Not in the 1881 Glasgow Directory as either Bellahouston or Smith & Naismith
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:15 am

Found our mystery bridge-makers in the 1878 PO Directory, at Vermont Street, Kinning Park.

The works don't seem to have been around long enough to appear on the OS maps on their survey dates.
The most probable site shown on the OS map surveyed 1893/1894 would be at the vacant ground beside Kinning Park Goods Station?

The nearby Clutha Works in MacLellan Street and the Clyde Lead Works in Cornwall Street had direct railway access to the south of their premises.
The vacant site at Vermont Street has a railway line extending from the goods station. Smith & Naysmith would have needed a railway for moving bridge sections?
The eastern section of Vermont Street on the other side of the station was mostly warehouse and tenement blocks.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 am

I had been thinking that it may have been P&W Maclellens works
Well done on finding the map
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext