Garthamlock

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Garthamlock

Postby calamity » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:57 pm

I was moved to this desolate horrible place in the early 70s when the tenement in Bridgeton where I lived was being demolished, it was said at the time that if your house was being pulled down that you had a choice of where you wanted to live.. so I trots up with two wee weans to India st with my list... Clarkston, Newton Mearns and Sandyhills... places I thought I could bring up the weans a bit better.. I was laughed at by the office staff who said I had no chance... my first offer was Ruchazie.. a low down house in a square, it belonged to a nice old woman who was an invalid and it needed everything done.. so I turned it down.. then I was offered one in Garthamlock that had no boiler or toilet pan.just a hole in the floor where vandals had pulled it out.. the hall was littered with loads of letters tellling me that no one who had gone to view it had wanted it.. so daftie here was offered this mess.... so it got turned down.... in hindsight I wish Id taken it, my third and final offer or so I was told was in Gartlock road facing where my cousin lived, I had to accept it but what a mistake I had made.............The close had football dirty marks all over the ceiling and walls, you could hardly see any paint... the house needed the lot done.. it was horrible and whoever had left had pulled out two sets of wall lights and left the wires dangling from the wall without tape..... I was never so demoralized in my life but tried to make the best of it......didnt work, I had a close full of alkies, one prostitute, thieves and haulf wits... no one washed the stairs and they partied and fought continuously, it took me 13 years to get out of that place.. Ill never forget it... hated every minute of it... and although my weans were brought up there I have no fond memories..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Garthamlock

Postby calamity » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Hard to believe but all these wee stories are true... from my years in that place... Im still not sure why Tachras chose to call my first wee story India st.. I think a bit of confusion there by them.. but thats the first story in the collection..OH just noticed its been changed to The Scheme.. thats better... :D

http://www.tachras.co.uk/journal/india/india.htm
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hambone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:52 pm

ah India St ,,,,,the number of times my wife and I trooped there looking for a better house ,,,,:whats your first choice ? Riddrie ,no chance ,,next Carntyne,no chance,next Provanmill ,piss off I would love a hoose there myself ,,,here this is your last offer Barmulloch ,take it or leave it ,,its your last offer you know!!!
so after 20 years in that desert with windows managed to scrape the money together to put down a deposit for a house ,,
it made my blood boil when I saw people all around us get moved to better houses ,,,didn,t know who,s palm to grease ,,,
still bitter ,,, :x :x
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby calamity » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Know exactly what your talking about there... we were treated like second rate citizens, when they should have known by looking at our houses or talking to us what kind of character we had.. it was scandalous.. not only that but when your weans are brought up on rougher areas , they become tarred with the one stick too... hated the place.. I heard stories years later about young women like myself then being offered brand new flats or back and front doors in Craigend, and yet when myself and my mother asked for one we got promised one in 1970, then turned down, why Ill never know.. a new house would have saved us a lot of work and a fortune, instead we both got houses with no immersers for hot water and loads of work to be done...
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DJKillingspree » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:29 pm

We moved to Craigend from Bridgeton in 1975 & although Garthamlock was right next door it was viewed as a scarey place full of hooligans & maniacs. I remember we used to play in the fields between Craigend & Cardowan but if we saw any kids from Garthmlock heading over we would run away as if our lives depended on it. ::):
DJKillingspree
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby calamity » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:38 pm

I moved later to Craigend to a beautiful close.. it was heaven after what Id lived like with bampots...but even then Craigend was slipping as well and a lot of the closes were a mess...
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Just for Halloween..

:D Image
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 pm

calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Well I will run the risk of getting Dextered in this post, but this thread is making me think about the vermin (a term I don't use lightly - but I'm going to...) from Garthamlock that I was stuck next door to for years.....got moved into our semi-respectable SSHA estate - they were the first of many and turned the area into a dive within a few short years.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Vermin is to light a word..... I thought I was taking a nervous breakdown it got so bad, my close was a cesspit, it reminded you of Fagans days in London it was so bad.. there wasnt a neighbour you could trust... my weans milk was stole on a permanent basis if I didnt meet the milk man early enough. and it was the boy up the stairs, when a finally caught him.. his mother said she was so angry at him.. as he d taken the hauf crron fae her tae buy milk from the shops.... she wasnt angry at him taking my weans milk..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 pm

och aye,the thatchers.ah mind o them.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Kags38 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:49 pm

I was born there in the 1960’s it was a great place then and we had lovely neighbours. Not quite sure at what point the lovely neighbours started leaving and the ones that you are describing moved in. Maybe the late 70’s it started to go downhill and by then I had moved away also. Nice to see the regeneration of the area now.
Kags38
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)