Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby gorevan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:49 am

For anyone that is interested:

Due to popular demand Glasgow Pubs & Publicans will be re-printed from Friday 21 June 2013. £11.99 + P&P. From www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk. You can pre-order your copy from the website at the moment!

Thanks
This web site has been developed to record our local landmarks and to give a brief history on our old pubs. www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk
gorevan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Time called on Press Bar as pub is put up for sale

There used to be some mob who ran a website and a forum which regularly met up in an old pub. I think they called in here once.
The Press Bar
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gorevan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:26 pm

http://glasgowdoorsopenday.com/programm ... gate-pubs/

For anyone that is interested a history talk in the Heilan Jessie!
This web site has been developed to record our local landmarks and to give a brief history on our old pubs. www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk
gorevan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:10 pm

gorevan wrote:http://glasgowdoorsopenday.com/programme/events/history-of-gallowgate-pubs/

For anyone that is interested a history talk in the Heilan Jessie!

Who's doing the talk? Is it the original HG John (never mind that Johnny-come-lately mod that nicked his user name)?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gorevan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Yeah John Gorevan of www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk & Author of "Glasgow Pubs & Publicans".
The one that started this thread. :D
gorevan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:17 pm

blackhack wrote:i remember a pub that stood on stockwell st where the argos building now stands and im sure it was called Kittys,i also remember a General Wolfe at the corner of the gallowgate and millerston st,also the clyde vaults that was on main st bridgeton as it crossed greenhead st.This thread is absolutely excellent

Are you mis-locating The Clyde Vaults, Blackhack? I`m sure it was where the Gallowgate meets Charlotte Street. (There was a good chippy called Franco`s on the Gallowgate a few shops east of that corner).

I recall The Sunday Mail`s Pub Spy down an outstanding hatchetjob on The Clyde Vaults back in the mid/late 70`s. Anyone able to post that particular review here, maybe?
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:43 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Time called on Press Bar as pub is put up for sale

There used to be some mob who ran a website and a forum which regularly met up in an old pub. I think they called in here once.
The Press Bar

It's a shame really as I would have thought that the new TIC building for Strathclyde University going up at the moment would have breathed a bit more life into that block and generated more footfall for them - I think they have struggled since that part of Albion Street became residential after the Herald/ET offices moved out.

The Press Bar always reminds me of the final scene of "Batteries Not Included", when the tiny little diner is sandwiched between the two massive skyscrapers. I seem to recall in '04-'05 when they were knocking down the old printing press building on the corner of Albion and George Streets to put those flats in there was talk that the developers tried to buy the owners of the Press Bar out to get their hands on the plot...but they played hardball and refused. Can anyone substantiate this?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 pm

There used to be a pub round the corner from the press bar in George Street, Between Albion St and Montrose Street. I seem to recall going in to it with some student mates in the 1960s? I think it was painted red and gold? Did you know that the hotel on the corner of Montrose Street and George Street was a government building in the 1960s and presumably 70's.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Dunrobin.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:06 pm

moonbeam wrote:Did you know that the hotel on the corner of Montrose Street and George Street was a government building in the 1960s and presumably 70's.

If you mean what is now the Premier Inn - Montrose House; originally home to the Inland Revenue before they moved to the newer buildings one block back on Cochrane St.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Yes Dunrobin. Memory is not so good! It seemed to be closed for quite a while. If I recall an "old men's" type pub. The Premier Inn building. I once had to go there for an interview-around 1964 or so for a job with the income tax people. Did not get it. But found it a bit strange this government type building tucked away in Montrose Street. Was told it once housed savings bank people before they went to Cowglen.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:28 am

It also once housed the Glasgow Procurator Fiscal's Office, prior to the move to newer premises in Ballater Street.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:29 am

Going back on-topic again, as a general note it's a real shame the town has been gradually emptied of all the traditional dive bars, boozers, old mens pubs (or whatever you want to call them) - I for one nowadays feel more comfortable having a jar or two in one of those than the style bars with their upmarket pretentions, overpriced drinks and bouncers who only admit people whose shoes are the right colour or their face fits..... :evil: But the ye olde pubs (like the Press or the College Bar) have been pushed out to the fringes so to speak...

Yet, come to think of it, how many of the so-called 'trendy' pubs have vanished in say, the last 15 years? Looking back at my student days in the late '90s its amazing how many of my old haunts have vanished in such a relatively short time.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ruchaziejim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Imperial bar on Shettleston rd, like a true old traditional pub it still has the old pumps signs etc, frequented by old men only and about the only decent pub in the area now.
ruchaziejim
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby calamity » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:40 am

So many noo gone in Brigton... IN London road, the Loughswilly. Cot Bar, Pippin. Cameronian. Balmoral the New Monaco , Jacks bar. and many more..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects