Aggressive Begging in Glasgow City Centre. Getting worse?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Aggressive Begging in Glasgow City Centre. Getting worse

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:35 pm

In the 80s i had a News kiosk on Buchanan st for a few years, i was right on the street selling news and confectionery, used to get many down and outs comming up to me for money and something to eat, just couldnt give to everyone because it'd become a habit to the beggars that knew if you gave once you'd need to give everyday. I'd give to some when i was walking around the city, the ones i felt that were in geunine need- you pick and choose the ones you want to give and where you feel comfortable.

This one chap that always bought his 10 club king size from me with a smile every other day who i thought was a labourer on one of the many development sites in the city centre, he was always in the same sort of clothes, a manky jersy /top with face slightly blackend and dirty jeans and was in his late 40s, one day while i was serving him a chap that was walking by that knew him stoped by and said hello to him, they both moved slightly away from the kiosk to blether on, after their conversation the chap that had stoped to say hello decided to buy a newspaper from me and i'd asked where he knew the chap that he was talking to.

He told me that the guy used to be a chief executive of the House of Fraser and had a sallary of 6 figures a few years earlier and that he used to work with him, somewhere along the chief execs career he had turn to the drink and lost his job, his wife and kids, and everything he owned and now lives on the streets.

Be thankful, Health is Wealth as they say, it could be worse ! :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 am

the only street beggars that really rip my knitting and obstruct my path using aggressive tactics usually wear a bib of sorts or work for talk talk or eon.anyhoo this subject will be up for discussion on call kay.radio scotland this morning,maybe worth a listen.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 pm

banjo wrote:the only street beggars that really rip my knitting and obstruct my path using aggressive tactics usually wear a bib of sorts or work for talk talk or eon.anyhoo this subject will be up for discussion on call kay.radio scotland this morning,maybe worth a listen.

Ahh the charitable beggars aka chuggers
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 pm

It's amazing how economically out of touch the beggars are. They still seem to think you can get a cup of tea or a bus ticket for 50p these days. Someone ought to tell them that it's 2013 and you'd be lucky if 50p buys a sachet of sugar!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:09 pm

yoker brian wrote:
banjo wrote:the only street beggars that really rip my knitting and obstruct my path using aggressive tactics usually wear a bib of sorts or work for talk talk or eon.anyhoo this subject will be up for discussion on call kay.radio scotland this morning,maybe worth a listen.

Ahh the charitable beggars aka chuggers

Here Here!! anyone who proposes to ban the chuggers has my vote!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:It's amazing how economically out of touch the beggars are. They still seem to think you can get a cup of tea or a bus ticket for 50p these days. Someone ought to tell them that it's 2013 and you'd be lucky if 50p buys a sachet of sugar!

Yeah, I remember when they would be happy to get 10p out of you. Now they want all sorts. My bro's mate had one that wanted £25 out of him for the "train home" on Argyle Street a few days ago. Supposedly the same "geeky" guy I mentioned a few posts back did it. He looks non-threatening, but watch out. He's some height too.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Saw the guy who draws the pictures sitting outside MIssing Records under the Glasgow Central Umbrella today. Saw a rather unfortunately incident too. He was showing some guy his pictures, puts one on the ground to shake the guys hand, I assume, and a big bunch of guys just trampled all over his stuff. Quite sad really.

I was also stopped by a rather cheeky policeman on Clyde Street too.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 am

bAzTNM wrote:I was also stopped by a rather cheeky policeman on Clyde Street too.

What for if you don't mind me asking?? Remember when I was a student back in the late '90s..., I must have been pulled up by cops one or two times purely because I had my jacket zipped up on a warmish day.....thinking I had a concealed weapon or carrying something that I shouldn't. Really pissed me off at the time as they seem to make inferences just because I am a young bloke walking the streets of the town.

I was once assaulted by a store detective outside C&As when I was 18 because I went in and out without buying anything. Assuming I was shoplifting, I was dragged off a bus on the Trongate in full view of everyone and searched in a doorway in Weisfelds. Went to a lawyer with some help from the Sunday Mail and threatened C&As with defamation of character. They settled out of court.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Don't have a clue really. Typing on my phone and I hear "OWWW!!!!" behind me and its some police diving out his car to get me. Took my name and address. Asked me where I was going. If I had any problems with the law. I must have been stopped about eight times in two years. Stopped in the Merchant City a lot which is just out of order really. Got told to "Shut Up" when I was speaking for some reason last time too which still makes me angry thinking about. Everybody was looking at this idiot getting pulled by the police. That was in December 2012. . Stopped in Clyde Street the last time there.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby darrel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Only time I have been stopped by the police was a couple of months ago in Helensburgh, at half 2 in the morning.
"What are you doing" they asked
"Waiting to film a steam train" I replied
The look on their faces 8O told me they didn't belive me and thought I was mad (ok I probably am)
"Listen" I said as by this point you could hear it coming up the hill from craigendoran junction.
The two cops stayed in the car and watched the steam train go by, said goodnight and drove off probably shaking their heads ::):
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Don't have a clue really. Typing on my phone and I hear "OWWW!!!!" behind me and its some police diving out his car to get me. Took my name and address. Asked me where I was going. If I had any problems with the law. I must have been stopped about eight times in two years. Stopped in the Merchant City a lot which is just out of order really. Got told to "Shut Up" when I was speaking for some reason last time too which still makes me angry thinking about. Everybody was looking at this idiot getting pulled by the police. That was in December 2012. . Stopped in Clyde Street the last time there.

Have you considered leaving the Armalite at home?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:06 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Don't have a clue really. Typing on my phone and I hear "OWWW!!!!" behind me and its some police diving out his car to get me. Took my name and address. Asked me where I was going. If I had any problems with the law. I must have been stopped about eight times in two years. Stopped in the Merchant City a lot which is just out of order really. Got told to "Shut Up" when I was speaking for some reason last time too which still makes me angry thinking about. Everybody was looking at this idiot getting pulled by the police. That was in December 2012. . Stopped in Clyde Street the last time there.

You must come to one of the walks. At leat you'd have witnesses ::):
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 am

I suffer from mental health issues too. So everyone of these "false grabs" by the police sets my anxiety treatment back weeks. It does make me rather nervous when a policecar goes by. I've emailed the police about this. I'm not bothered about myself really. Some other people probably won't go out the door for months if it happened to them. All of them are snide bastards too who'd love to lower your confidence and make you want to top yourself.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Big Dan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Wait did someone say they're putting a stop to these aggressive beggars in Glasgow? Does that mean the BBC is going to stop coming to my door demanding money for some reason?
Big Dan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am

Big Dan wrote:Wait did someone say they're putting a stop to these aggressive beggars in Glasgow? Does that mean the BBC is going to stop coming to my door demanding money for some reason?

....or someone stop the Irish navvies who persist on ignoring the "no cold callers" sign on my door - no I don't F-ing want my driveway tarmacked thank you very much. Or my sofits replaced, or my back fence renewed.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)