Virtual Glasgow (or virtual anywhere else)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Virtual Glasgow (or virtual anywhere else)

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Can you imagine it, a headset that that would let you walk down the streets of your city/town of 100 years ago. (or more or less)

Chose a virtual programme, say 1950, walk around your area, switch to 1960 then 1970. What a dream that would be.

Perhaps based on old photographs & video, the technology cannot be far away. I can't wait.

The downside: Getting kicked in the balls by some slack jawed youth in the present, when you are promenading along the banks of the Clyde, circa 1953. Small price to pay, I'd say.

Bring it on.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Virtual Glasgow (or virtual anywhere else)

Postby Socceroo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Your imagination is running riot :D

Besides they did not have Google Earth Streetview in the 50's or did they?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:12 am

hollow horn you can have a shot of my time machine since it's your birthday :D
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 am

You've got a time machine? Unfortunately I lost mine. I last saw it next Tuesday at about 2.30pm. :wink:
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tamo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:11 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Can you imagine it, a headset that that would let you walk down the streets of your city/town of 100 years ago. (or more or less)

Chose a virtual programme, say 1950, walk around your area, switch to 1960 then 1970. What a dream that would be.

Perhaps based on old photographs & video, the technology cannot be far away. I can't wait.

The downside: Getting kicked in the balls by some slack jawed youth in the present, when you are promenading along the banks of the Clyde, circa 1953. Small price to pay, I'd say.

Bring it on.

Star Trek got there first, I'm afraid.

On stardate 5943.7, the Federation starship USS Enterprise arrives at the class M planet Sarpeidon to evacuate its inhabitants, doomed by an impending supernova explosion of the system's star. Oddly, sensors detect no signs of humanoid life on the surface and Captain Kirk, along with Chief Medical Officer Dr. McCoy ("Bones") and Science Officer Spock, beam down to investigate.

Once there, the landing party finds a sophisticated computer library where they encounter a man named Mr. Atoz.[note 1] He explains that the library contains an archive of historical data disks. Kirk warns Atoz of the planet's imminent destruction and that they must leave immediately. Atoz however, says he is aware of the destruction of his world, and is already prepared. He informs that he will be joining his wife and family soon. He then activates a machine, called the "Atavachron". By viewing the historic disks, the time portal can send any who enter back in time to the point recorded in the data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Our_Ye ... _Series%29
Tamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:58 pm

If we're quoting Star Trek as a precedent, Philip K Dick's estate must hold the patent on almost anything that's been developed since 1953.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)