Power Stations & Electricity Generation in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Power Stations & Electricity Generation in Glasgow

Postby yoker brian » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for that Cell - the closure dates come from a follow up to the Both Sides of the Burn book, from around 1990 which gives the closure dates - as mentioned in my previous post.

There is a copy in the Mitchell Library, I'm sure I cross checked the dates with newspapers from the time, I dont have my notes to hand - still working on getting lots of info scanned & into Evernote.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:38 am

company did change frequency during this period from 25 to 50 hz which would have made the oldest machines obsolete.
8O

That would certainly have made the locals washing machines run a bit quicker.

It wouldn't have necessarily meant the prime movers needed replacing, a frequency change could be accommodated by using a gearbox between the generator and prime mover or installation of 4 pole generators. In all probability though it would probably have been more trouble than its worth and you are correct.

Just saying, I'd never heard of frequency changes but it does have a logic. The older prime movers may have had difficulty running at higher speeds and in the early days a lot of the appliances were DC as AC was poorly understood. Therefore AC was just a PIA that had to be converted before it could be used.

Very interesting Cell thanks for the information, anything else would be appreciated

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I’ve been looking at some of the excellent pictures on the Britain from above site, and created a Scottish Power Station group if anyone is interested.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/groups/power-stations-scottish

I’ve collected as many Scottish stations as I can find and tagged them so they can be found with simple search. There are some great pictures of some of Glasgow’s big power stations, Yoker, Dalmarnock, Clydesmill etc and some of the smaller ones as well Govan, Waterloo St, John St etc, but also some big gaps Pinkston, St Andrews, Port Dundas. (well I can’t find any pictures let me know if you do!)

The site defiantly works best if you register, lets you zoom in and tag anything of interest.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm

It’s not often I come across a Glasgow power station that I didn’t know about, but I’ve just found the “Carntyne Electric Works” marked on the 1892 OS 25” to the mile map.

http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch-2nd-and-la ... &layers=BT

It seems to have been a short lived private concern, probably set up by an individual to supply local industry, I did find a couple of references between 1892 and 1894 in the Edinburgh Gazette to the “the sequestration of RANKIN KENNEDY, Electrical Engineer, Carntyne Electric Works Glasgow”, as I understand it sequestration is the Scottish version of bankruptcy. Certainly the building is not marked as such on the 1910 map and is shown as an open box, which I believe means not in use, and is gone all together from later maps.

Kennedy himself appears in Post Office directories listed as “Kennedy, Rankin, electrical engineer, Carntyne Electric Works” and there is also an Electrical Installations book by a Rankin Kennedy which was published around the same time and is probably by the same person.

Has anyone come across any other references to this enterprise? I’d be especially interested to hear when it started up, I would imagine that the opening was probably covered in a newspaper with electricity being somewhat of a novelty in the 19th cent, however I really don’t know the best way of looking for it online.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:08 pm

On the South Bank of the Clyde round about Dalmarnock.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Not sure if that is power station related, Dalmarnock PS was on the north side of the Clyde. It looks like a water intake or outlet, if we had an exact location it should be easy to check the old maps to see if there was any associated factory or water treatment works.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:42 pm

This photo was taken from 16 floors up at the high flats at 131 Allan Street, Dalmarnock, around 1988. I stayed there for 14 years. ...Towards the right of the photo is Allan Street going towards Dalmarnock Road, with the Dalmarnock bridge hidden by tenements on the far left.

The bare area of ground just beyond Dalmarnock Road and near the river used to have a very tall chimney, which I watched being brought down. Just can't remember whether it was a Power Station there, or was it a Sewerage Works?
Can anyone remind me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Anyone know what is happening at St. Andrews Works on Viccy Rd.?
Large amounts of cash for all the kit, lane closures, and stop/go traffic lights.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Think someone mentioned elsewhere that the sub-station part is being re-roofed and generally repaired.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Yes, a largish yellow crane has suddenly appeared. What would require that kind of kit for a re-roofing. They spent a good 6 months re-grooving the cable from the Brazen Head junction. You would have thought that they could have resurfaced the roadway from The Star Bar to the Brazen Head easily the most corrugated in Glasgow, especially from South to North. If you have anything stuck a run over that stretch of road will shake it loose.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi,
very interesting.
Two anecdotes that may be of some interest-
In 1953 there was a serious melt down of a power station serving East Glasgow which resulted in a 2 day outage.
I was dancing with a girl in the Dennistoun Palace the evening that it happened. We are still together after 60 years.

As a young civil engineer, I has access to tracks serving power stations- I recall seeing a strange locomotive at, I think Dalmarnock which was propelled by steam without any firebox. It was simply connected to the steam line from time to time so was simply a pressure vessel on wheels.

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm

This one John? The fireless loco that you are thinking about was indeed at Dalmarnock and is now in the Transport museum, looking resplendent in its SSEB colours. This type of loco was common where you had access to high pressure steam ie at a power stations or where there was a risk of explosions such as large chemical works and refineries which would normally also have sources of steam. They would have to filled regularly and the steam kept hot, so they had a limited range and didn’t travel out with the works for obvious reasons so similar in a way to today’s electric vehicles.

cell wrote:I’m aware that no one has added anything to this thread for a while so I thought I’d give it a bump with a couple of recent finds. I’ve been to the transport museum tons of times and visited this week to get some pictures for the data bank thread. I nearly wet myself when I saw the Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co logo which is in the window of the electrical shop in the 30’s street. Then I came across the smokeless loco which must be one of the few bits of equipment from any of the Glasgow Power stations to survive.

Last edited by cell on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jock78 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Cell,
Yes that's the one!
I was an engineer with British Railways at that time until Beaching came along and I switched to Highway Design. Some of my mates also switched to the power authority also.

Do you know anything about the two day outage in '53 or '54?
I was told it was caused by a 'bus bar' melting and caused quite a stir at the time.

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects