Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Fire stations past and present

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 am

Josef wrote:
SomeRandomBint wrote:Infra Dignitatem

Good icon, btw.

Why thank you. I like to give the impression of having an edukayshun, even if it's only a smoke screen.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Avenger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:25 pm

HollowHorn wrote:North West Fire Station, Kelbourne St. Maryhill. 1965 :

2003:

HH these are around the corner from each other, the fire station is Kelbourne Street, the 2003 shot is Sanda Street.
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby firebrat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 pm

The brick building in the centre of the second picture used to be a Diggens bakers. The ground floor was the shop and the two floors above were storerooms and a flat that the baker and his family stayed in. I'm not sure when Diggens went out of business but it was still there in the late '80's
firebrat
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:05 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:Haha! I remember going to the Christmas Parties at Central, where my Dad was based in the 80s (he moved out to Parkhead when it closed). There was also, IIRC, a stuffed dog in a case there. Wallace the fire dog - they had little leather socks made for him, when he used to chase the fire engines to the scenes of fires, and help rescue people from the burning buildings.

Must ask my Dad for more info about Central. He used to go to the site when it was the Fire Station Restaurant, and complain about having to scrub the tiled floors when he worked there!

Your Dad must have worked with my old man at Parkhead station.

My Dad was a fireman for about 16 or 17 years (mid-70s up to early 90s IIRC). I think we (Dad, Mum and I) lived at Partick station for a very brief period around the time I was born (1976) and then we moved to Central station for a while before my folks eventually got a council house in Baillieston. I'm not sure if my Dad worked at Central or if we just had short-term accomodation there - I was only a toddler when we lived there so I have barely any memories of it. My dad spent most of his career at Parkhead (should have got danger money for being based in Lilybank!!) and loved the job - he only left the Brigade because he suffered a knee injury.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:57 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:
SomeRandomBint wrote:Haha! I remember going to the Christmas Parties at Central, where my Dad was based in the 80s (he moved out to Parkhead when it closed). There was also, IIRC, a stuffed dog in a case there. Wallace the fire dog - they had little leather socks made for him, when he used to chase the fire engines to the scenes of fires, and help rescue people from the burning buildings.

Must ask my Dad for more info about Central. He used to go to the site when it was the Fire Station Restaurant, and complain about having to scrub the tiled floors when he worked there!

Your Dad must have worked with my old man at Parkhead station.

My Dad was a fireman for about 16 or 17 years (mid-70s up to early 90s IIRC). I think we (Dad, Mum and I) lived at Partick station for a very brief period around the time I was born (1976) and then we moved to Central station for a while before my folks eventually got a council house in Baillieston. I'm not sure if my Dad worked at Central or if we just had short-term accomodation there - I was only a toddler when we lived there so I have barely any memories of it. My dad spent most of his career at Parkhead (should have got danger money for being based in Lilybank!!) and loved the job - he only left the Brigade because he suffered a knee injury.

He probably did, assuming they were on the same watch of course! Can't remember for the life of me what my Dad was on, but he was a driver. He got the shock of his life when my step-sister hired a fire engine for her birthday party a couple of years ago, and it was one he used to drive!

Of course, Parkhead is no more either. For some unfathomable reason, they decided to merge Parkhead with Cambuslang in the new Clydemill Fire Station. Which means that Calton now covers the east end, as we'd have all burned to death by the time the pumps come up from South Lanarkshire. 8O

You might be interested in http://www.btinternet.com/~graeme.kirkwood/SFB/B07.htm with some info on the old place, and some photos. I remember getting dragged down there as a kid when my Dad did his "disappearing" act, leaving us without a penny. Mum flipped after one final reminder too many, and dragged us down to the station to wait for Dad to finish his shift. I'm sure the grown ups were going through hell, but I had a bloody brilliant time!
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed May 16, 2012 10:03 pm

dimairt wrote:Hello Tartanmarco, hope you like this one. The fire station was located between St George's in the Field Church and Cedar St flats.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Nice photo Eddy. I had wrongly assumed that the old fire station had been swept away until I glanced up this morning while stuck in traffic and noticed the decoration. I went back later on for a snap - you can no longer get a view from as far back as your photo .

St George's Road Fire Station by vinegartom40, on Flickr

St George's Road Fire Station Hoses, Choppers & Helmets by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby A4girl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Hawthorn
The photo of 2003 is of Sanda Street across the road from the North West fire station. The building to the right of the red sandstone tenement used to be the bakery and to the right of the bakery was a church on the corner of Sanda Street and Hotspur Street which is now new flats. The North West fire station like other Glasgow fire stations is still there but is now flats :)
A4girl
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Fireman wrote:If you're meaning Ingram St Jock it went through a number of phases in its life, but this is how I remember it in the 1970's -

Ingram St fire station was a very large complex of buildings beyond the frontage - on the ground floor if you were in Ingram St facing the appliance room you had the Watchroom and the *4 appliance bays, which always had appliances in them. Roughly in the middle of this frontage was the pend entrance which took you into the inner yard where all the other buildings could be accessed from ie. workshops, gym, tool rooms, single-mens quarters & firemen's housing, stores, breathing apparatus servicing, garages, Fire Prevention offices and the rear entrance up to the firemen's tenement housing which fronted onto the High St., boiler house and the fire station's offices, To the left of the pend entrance were the Firemaster's and Chief Clerk's offices.

Directly above the pend was Fire Control for Glasgow where the biggest majority of 999 calls went if a member of the public needed the fire brigade. This is also where the stations were turned out from and the two-way radio communication to fire engines was run. The remainder of that floor was used by the fire station as living quarters, such as lecture room, recreation room, billets, and directly above the workshops was the canteen. Next floor up I think was billets again and the top floor was offices for senior officers, staff office, conference room, etc.

*As Glasgow's incidence of fire increased there was a need to provide additional special appliances to cope with the growing demands of modern materials, so the High Expension Foam Unit (Hi-Ex) appliance was stationed into one of the garages in the yard. The main appliance room had in the 1970's a Water Tender Ladder, a Pump Escape, a Turntable Ladder and the Emergency Tender (later to be converted into a Breathing Apparatus Tender).

I better mention though - its been a while so I may have got something a wee bit back to front, but the majority of the layout I'm describing I'm confident is right. :wink:

What a great thread!

My old pal at St Alphonsus lived in the close right up above the Ingram St fire station! I remember how the entire block on the west side of High St ran down from Ingram St to Blackfriars. Frosted windows. Some had photos of firemen in them. That would be the east side of the above complex you mention and its` facilities? I`ve often wondered about that block`s purpose.

I read here that the HQ was relocated to Cowcaddens. What about the new station later built between the Gallowgate and Bell St (west of Morrisons)? Did this replace the Ingram St fire station proper?
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fireman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:I read here that the HQ was relocated to Cowcaddens. What about the new station later built between the Gallowgate and Bell St (west of Morrisons)? Did this replace the Ingram St fire station proper?

RR - try this web site created by a friend of mine and is recognised as the definitive source for Scottish fire brigade / service historical information - History of Scottish Fire Brigades

And this link takes you to Graeme's Glasgow Fire Service section before regionalisation in 1974 - Glasgow Fire Service pre-75

Fireman. :wink:
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 am

Soho st had a big fire station with houses at the back in Brigton..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:50 am

calamity wrote:Soho st had a big fire station with houses at the back in Brigton..

That was the Eastern Station, which was replaced by Calton in 1983 (which is the station Ruchazie Rat is thinking about off Gallowgate).

RR - Calton didn't directly replace Central, but it was part of the wider move to close down the older stations and replace them with a purpose built facility. Central was operational for a year or so after Calton opened. Cowcaddens was built as a replacement for Central and North stations (Ingram Street and St George's Road).
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby centrestkid » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:18 pm

hi i recently read a post saying the postee had stayed in the south at centre st. and then moved to the north west

I used to stay in the south and had a pal that moved to the north west
i also had pals that moved to drumchapel and we eventually moved to milton

I ran around with MAtt Hooper who was the son of one of the firemen who lost their lives at the sher warehouse fire
sadly matt lost his life on holiday a few years ago i read about this in the record and found out he had joined the brigade

i stayed in the south station from 1957 to 1966 and went to centre st school along with matt and others

my old man worked in the northwest for 17yrs and left the brigade in 1971

he was the fbu steward at the north west in that time

I also attended the brigade judo club at ingram st. station in 1968 -9

and i remenber attending many fire brigade xmas parties in the hall up in the high court at the north west

I have found reading all the pots and seeing the pictures great thanks to u all
centrestkid
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jim Boyle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Jim Boyle here I was a fireman from 1972 and worked at govan fire station I also did shifts at all south side stations got married my first house was in Partick fire station right above the engine room the photos take me back thanks
Jim Boyle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects