Royston/Rosemount St Demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Royston/Rosemount St Demolition

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Over a year since this was announced - as the big move-out started yet, are there many lights left on? Difficult to tell of course at this time of year as it doesn't get properly dark until after 10.

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/99178-four- ... rty-years/

The sand-coloured block closest to the M8 is likely to be a nibble down as its perilously close to the motorway embankment. Didn't know the three Cranhill blocks had been spared, they were talking about levelling those not that long ago.

As an aside, I'd wish the journos at STV would get their facts right. I do believe 1968/1970 is 43-45 years ago, not "30" as reported....
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Royston/Rosemount St Demolition

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 pm

yes, stv site is nearly as bad as evening times for errors.
the yellow building looks pretty empty for a while. i remember late last year passing it and it only had one light left on in the whole block, whereas the other one closest to motorway still had a lot on.

Cranhill is getting refitted(again). i reckon it must be around 20 years since last time. But must be a reason there are staying up and not suffering same fate as Royston.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm

DavidMcD316 wrote: ..............
Cranhill is getting refitted(again). i reckon it must be around 20 years since last time. But must be a reason there are staying up and not suffering same fate as Royston.

As I understand it, GHA invited an 'independent' firm of property valuers to do a stock condition survey of everything GHA had inherited from the City Council + do some costing re what it'd take to bring the house up to the Scottish Housing Quality Standard by 2015.s

That sum informed the decision re demolish, refurbish by GHA, offer ballot with a view to Second Stage Transfer to local Registered Social Landlord (RSL) or whatever.

The stock condition survey went on to be used in calculating the dowry which GHA would offer to the RSLs getting homes transferred to them.

Cranhill and Blythswood Court seem to have added up OK. Other high rise (14 Shaftesbury Street) did not fare as well.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:56 am

Was it purely condition and cost of refurbishment that they looked at, or did they also look at location? Interesting that none of the central high rise estates such as Dundasvale, Townhead or Blythswood Court have been threatened (the latter I imagine is a unique case as the lower floors of those blocks form part of the Anderston Centre's office space which is still largely occupied) - I am guessing here that those estates remain popular owing to the fact they are all virtually in the city centre, so they'd have no bother finding takers.

There are a lot of perfectly good tower blocks in the city which are being destroyed mainly on grounds of unpopularity, rather than structural deficiencies - which is a shame.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development