Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 pm

And the site disappeared after Joe's death last year. More's the pity.

After his adventures with Alex and Sydney, Joe joined the Rikki Barnes All stars who appeared on Six Five Special. He then moved to London hit the Two I's coffee bar and joined Colin Hicks and was pally with some of the other early beat groups. Johnny Kidd and The Pirates were at Abbey Road recording their third single and although Shakin' all over was supposed to be the B side it caught the ear of the producer who wanted a more American feel to the guitar solo. Alan Caddy (Later with The Tornados and a top session guitarist) called on Joe to give him a hand.

This is the result.

There's a time line of the bands Joe Moretti played in. I wonder what Johnny Duncan's Blue Grass Boys sounded like with Joe and John McLaughlin in the band. The money must have been good.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Apologies - senility sets in as old hack staggers on. It's still wonderful!
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Sandy Robertson wrote:Apologies - senility sets in as old hack staggers on. It's still wonderful!

There is that.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:38 pm

there was a hoffner semi accoustic bass that belonged to one of the guys that played with johnny kidd and alvin stardust sold on flog it yesterday.his wife punted it for over four hundred quid.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Memorabilia has gone mad. I sold my copy of Englands Hidden Reverse, a book only a few years old, for nearly £500 because it was signed by some of the musos written about, 2 of whom are no longer with us. Crazy.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:37 am

yes it has.i got £150.oo for something i won in a newspaper competition 25 years ago.a michael jackson press pack.i hope football memorabilia is just as popular as i have an amazing item which could be worth serious dosh.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamieH » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Anybody interested in the debacle surrounding the Sex Pistols banned tour date at the Apollo in 1976 can download a free eFanzine here with an article on it - it's available in a number of formats, if you don't own a e-reader, try the PDF version:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296045

There's also a interview with one of the Hidden Glasgow posters!
JamieH
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:14 am

If anyone has or comes across anything re Jethro Tull then let me know. :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:31 am

Bridie, confidentially I have a Seed Drill which distributes all varieties/hybrids as needed, 16ft across and perfectly serviceable...........do you want it!
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Bridie wrote:If anyone has or comes across anything re Jethro Tull then let me know. :D

Your more than welcome to download a copy

1972 Jethro Tull with Tir Na Nog Green's Playhouse Concert Ticket by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

1999 The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. Jethro Tull Concert Ticket by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Wee Harry wrote:Bridie, confidentially I have a Seed Drill which distributes all varieties/hybrids as needed, 16ft across and perfectly serviceable...........do you want it!

::): If you throw in a copy of the 'The New Horse Hoeing Husbandry we could do business.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

robertpool wrote:
Bridie wrote:If anyone has or comes across anything re Jethro Tull then let me know. :D

Your more than welcome to download a copy

1972 Jethro Tull with Tir Na Nog Green's Playhouse Concert Ticket by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

1999 The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. Jethro Tull Concert Ticket by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

Thanks Robert duly nicked for the I Don't Get Why Codpieces Went Out Of Fashion Forum.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Bobby Orr : Drummer. Born 1928 Cambuslang

I was catching up on the latest adventures of Britains self styled best drummer ever: Ginger Baker when someone mentioned Bobby Orr. I investigated further and what appears on the web is not a lot but when you can say

Art Blakey says, Hey man, you gonna get up and play? I say no, but he grabs me by the scruff of the neck, and I go up and play"

^ Swinging New York In 1956

There's a whole concert of him playing with Benny Goodman on You Tube. This is the introduction

And his seat in Glasgow's Rock and Roll Hall of Hame. He played drums on this behind another Glasgow superstar.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Wed May 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Re Ginger Baker, I believe Elvin Jones once said of him, when asked by Albert Goldman to review one of his solos, that there was little behind the ego - that "the cat aint got nuthin goin on", or words to that effect. Of course, there was no love lost between them as EJ replaced GB in some dire rock western movie.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby macdonald » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Anyone remember The Subs? Callum Cuthbertson, Derek Forbes, Kevin Key and Ali Mc Kenzie. Great single on Stiff - Gimme Your Heart
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects