Photographs by Margaret Watkins. Now till sorry don't know.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Photographs by Margaret Watkins. Now till sorry don't know.

Postby Autolycus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:51 am

"An exhibition will open today (yesterday now) to show the works of Margaret Watkins, the Canadian born photographer, well known in the 1920s but forgotten after leaving New York in 1928 to visit her aunts in Glasgow."

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-centra ... n-glasgow/

The exhibition is located in The Hidden Lane Gallery on Argyle Street. This gallery is in what was Jonathan Harvey's (the undertaker) garage next to the new(ish) Tesco at Finnieston.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Photographs by Margaret Watkins. Now till sorry don't know.

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 am

2011 it says in the vid.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:36 am

Stunning ! thats what Hidden Glasgow is all about ( I know Joe Mullholand as well).
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:57 pm

cumbo wrote:Stunning ! thats what Hidden Glasgow is all about ( I know Joe Mullholand as well).

So do I so watch it :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Bridie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:48 am

fascinating! Thanks for posting
beautiful photographs and poignant story would love to know more about her why did she never return home? why did she live in a 17 room house? probably turned into flats now.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 am

This is still running and is well worth a visit or two. Upstairs gallery features portraits mostly, oh and a few tasteful scuddie shots; the Glasgow pics are downstairs.I think the Gallery is a former funeral parlour.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 am

dimairt wrote:This is still running and is well worth a visit or two. Upstairs gallery features portraits mostly, oh and a few tasteful scuddie shots; the Glasgow pics are downstairs.I think the Gallery is a former funeral parlour.

Le durachd,

Eddy

I don't recall it being anything other than garaging for Harvey's funeral cars. Workies had to excavate the lower level.

The funeral parlour is a few doors west at 1101 Argyle Street.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Photographs by Margaret Watkins. Now till sorry don't kn

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:42 pm

The last day of the second Margaret Watkins exhibition was yesterday. Subject was Glasgow. I managed to obtain one of the prints with half an hour to go. Not that there was a closing down sale, unfortunately.

There are still two exhibitions of her work to go (Paris and Moscow, if I remember rightly). Well worth a visit.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Autolycus wrote:
dimairt wrote:This is still running and is well worth a visit or two. Upstairs gallery features portraits mostly, oh and a few tasteful scuddie shots; the Glasgow pics are downstairs.I think the Gallery is a former funeral parlour.

Le durachd,

Eddy

I don't recall it being anything other than garaging for Harvey's funeral cars. Workies had to excavate the lower level.

The funeral parlour is a few doors west at 1101 Argyle Street.

It was indeed the 'garage' of Jonathan Harvey and they took over the MOT place in Minerva Street and relocated their limos there...It was very difficult to get 3 limos in and out of that garage for they legally had to be reversed in (although some didn't) and limos have lots of blind spots and they don't have the same manouvering as an ordinary saloon - as I found out quite early when trying to reverse into the place and some eejit had parked over part of the entrance...

It used to have a Rolls Royce (which rarely moved) at the top left of the garage, 3 modern limos and one Daimler (a wreck) limo and still room for some private cars. It was a good place to wash the cars and hide out of the way, when the 'Big Yin' was throwing a temper tantrum. Those were the days....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 am

Margaret Watkins to be commemorated with a stamp...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21885274
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Hidden Gallery has Margaret Watkins - Glasgow in the 1930's Part 2 on exhibition until March 7th.

I'm still intrigued as to why Margaret chose Glasgow to settle in and what her story was until she died in obscurity in 1969.

I think I've found the answer in this article and in Joe Mulholland's thoughts. Surely though there must have been more than unrequited love to take her away from the glamour of 1930's New York?
Love the sub story of living next to an old lady and not realising her incredible background.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/in-picture ... s-1-769987
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Archive