Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 pm

tallisbyrd wrote:Re Sandy Robertson's of July about the Maryland Club and the name it traded under when hosting Edgar Broughton and the like, I think this was The Morpheus Club. I saw Broughton, Bridget St John, Michael Chapman and Kevin Ayers & The Whole World there in 1969-71. Willlie Cuthbertson's son, Eric, was a good blues guitarist and often played there, and I think Grail and Glass Unicorn were also local. Also a screening of 'Don't Look Back'.

Whilst Eric was a good Blues guitarist and later Blues DJ on Q96 he did make up the story of Willie being his dad, uncle, brother. The first screening of Don't look back was held at The Maryland (as previously mentioned) was a fundraiser for a proposed Arts Lab in Glasgow.

It would be helpful if we had some printed evidence that The Maryland was called the Morpheus at any time on its journey via Sands to the Cotton Club.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:21 pm

I can't say for sure what it was called, but I know it had SOME daft 'spooky' name like that, but everyone just laughed and kept calling it The Maryland, as they did when Green's Playhouse tried to become the Temple of Peace.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby davidt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 pm

The first gig I ever went to in Glasgow was the Stranglers at the Apollo. Support was the Skids. Millions of years and billions of gigs later and the Stranglers are still my top band. Local favourites are Simple Minds. How auld do I feel now. Btw Stranglers play 02 academy in March 2013..see you all there :)
davidt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sandy Robertson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:55 pm

I saw Stranglers support Patti Smith at Roundhouse in London '75 when they were mal vu. The DJ said you may boo now but you'll be queuing to see em soon! I never was a fan but he was right about their impending success. I'm like you mate - I'm 60 next month, 70 in the body, 25 in the head.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby davidt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 pm

:D I would have loved to have seen Patti Smith on the same bill as the Stranglers. I saw her in the 90s in the Royal Concert Hall. Her son was in the band. What I liked about her was before coming on stage she walked around in the audience and talked with a few of us plebs. A real nice woman.
davidt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sandy Robertson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:30 pm

I think Patti has mellowed. When I knew her she hated the Stranglers ("I'd like to strangle THEM!") and although I was her big supporter in the UK press I was excommunicated (like Lester Bangs) for daring to give her one bad live review! Jay Dee Daugherty told me about Lenny Kaye, when I said he sniped at me re the review "If Patti gave Lenny shit to eat he'd ask for toast to go with it"!
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 am

Bill Bain Bass player with The Clyde Valley Stompers now gone.

Herald Obituary

Scotsman Obituary

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Stan Greig, Pianist and drummer Obituary

The Guardian

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- Bert Jansch

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:16 am

Bert Jansch.

The early nineties BBC Documentary about the late great Bert Jansch is be made available on DVD for the first time, to mark its 20th anniversary.

It has been extended by 36mins and remastered, it is being made possible by a website called pledgemusic.com.
The minimum pledge is £10, for that you get a download version which has also been extended, with an additional CD.

So put in www.pledgemusic.com/pledges and scroll down and you will find it under 'Bert Jansch & Friends'. They need about 750 people to pledge and they are only sitting at 11%. It is an amazing last tribute!
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Josef wrote:Alistair Hulett.

The 3rd Alistair Hulett Tribute Concert will take place on the 25th of January 2013 at St. Andrews in the Square Glasgow.
Tickets available from Celtic Connections website.

Karine Polwart
Roy Bailey
Arthur Johnstone & Gavin Livingstone ( The Laggan)
Ewan McLennan
Anne Neilson (Stramash)
Jimmy Ross
Finlay Allison (Stramash)
The first half of the concert will feature songs from Alistair's Red Clydeside album.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamieH » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 pm

I saw Patti's show of paintings, drawings and photographs at the Mitchell Library back in 2006 but unfortunately didn't manage to get my hands on a ticket for the live show that accompanied the exhibition. Luckily there's a taster of it online: http://vimeo.com/65257

Actually, I'm writing a short piece on the fanzine White Stuff at the moment for a e-Fanzine that should be out shortly, so if one of the contibuters to the discussion on Patti wants to discuss it, feel free to get in touch, Mr Robertson.
JamieH
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

The 3rd Alistair Hulett Tribute Concert will take place on the 25th of January 2013 at St. Andrews in the Square Glasgow.
Tickets available from Celtic Connections website.

Karine Polwart
Roy Bailey
Arthur Johnstone & Gavin Livingstone ( The Laggan)
Ewan McLennan
Anne Neilson (Stramash)
Jimmy Ross
Finlay Allison (Stramash)
The first half of the concert will feature songs from Alistair's Red Clydeside album.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:50 pm

JamieH - sent u a private note with my email. Get in touch if u have any White Stuff queries. I sent before but am technophobe so hope u get em! If not post on here and will try to sort. Sandy.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ben Nevis Bar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Today, 28th January, is the 3rd anniversary of Alistair's death.
Ben Nevis Bar
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby neilmc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Hendrix/Floyd/Move etc. package tour, Green's Playhouse, 5th December 1967: it seems that Noel Redding was less than impressed with Glasgow:-

http://novdec1967.blogspot.co.uk/2010/0 ... house.html
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects