Postcard dated November 1st. 1932

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Postcard dated November 1st. 1932

Postby ibtg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

"after Banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland", although signed by Robert Pryce (? I think), but no religious title or designation follows his name. The Registrar recording the wedding was Peter Ferguson.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm

ibtg wrote:"after Banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland", although signed by Robert Pryce (? I think), but no religious title or designation follows his name. The Registrar recording the wedding was Peter Ferguson.

As the wedding is "after Banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland" it will unsurprisingly have been conducted by a Minister although not necessarily within a church - it was common to be married within the brides home or the ministers house.

In 1904 there was a Robert Pryde M.A who was Minster of Townhead CoS Garngad Hill
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Must've been him, then - thanks for the info. Lockhart House is stated as being in Dennistoun - no address given. Could it have been the manse adjacent to Blackfriars? - or one of the other churches that existed there at the time?
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:48 am

It would be nice if any of Mr Rennie's relatives were found and the postcard given to them.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:41 pm

great work Liz :D
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby train driver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am

i might just have the info about Blackfriars, my uncle used to live in flat 1/1 at 16 whitehill st & when he was gutting the flat around 1990, he discovered that one of the old priests for Blackfriars used to live in his flat some time just before the 1900's & he apparently lived in the flat for 40-50yrs but theres more, the corner flat below him had a main door on whitehill st & my uncle & neighbour think a priest lived there too.
train driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ibtg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm

I was in the Mitchell archives again today, looking at more SCWS material. The only thing I found was that a William Rennie was working in the box-making department as early as 1902, so it looks like our man worked his way up over the years.

One of the items I requested was a number of passport photos, in the hope that our Mr Rennie might be among them. Unfortunately, although they appear in the Mitchell indexes, apparently some of the SCWS archival material is held in Manchester - those photos being among them.

I don't hold out a lot of hope of finding much more in the remaining items, which I will look at next week.

Obviously, I'm disappointed..... :cry:
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 pm

ibtg wrote:I was in the Mitchell archives again today, looking at more SCWS material. The only thing I found was that a William Rennie was working in the box-making department as early as 1902, so it looks like our man worked his way up over the years.

One of the items I requested was a number of passport photos, in the hope that our Mr Rennie might be among them. Unfortunately, although they appear in the Mitchell indexes, apparently some of the SCWS archival material is held in Manchester - those photos being among them.

I don't hold out a lot of hope of finding much more in the remaining items, which I will look at next week.

Obviously, I'm disappointed..... :cry:

You can get a return on the train for about 72 quid - 3.5 hours there and 3.5 hours back.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:22 am

some of the labels that the Printing Department would have produced.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 157213800/

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:
You can get a return on the train for about 72 quid - 3.5 hours there and 3.5 hours back.

Are you suggesting you start a whip-round ?? ::):
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:30 pm

A couple of things I noticed:-

The Norwegian company equivalent to the CWS is Norges Kooperative Landsforening (NKL for short) and was founded on 27th June 1906 - they might have a record of what was happening in 1932. Perhaps Martin could investigate? Or, as someone has already suggested, an HG trip to Norway?

In a book about the CWS in the war years, no names mentioned, but it said that the normal supplier of raw materials for stationery and boxes was not available to them, so they relied on whatever they could get from the USA and Canada. Could have been Norway.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Back at the Mitchell this week and had a look through the remaining documents from around 1932, but I didn't find anything much.

Mr Rennie, and the other managers, had to report to the Board on how their section was performing every week, for the Board meeting in Morrison Street every Friday.

In April 1931 he went to London, Luton, Warrington and Manchester to see bag-making machinery. He was awarded an increase of £50 per annum, taking his salary to £800 per annum.

In June 1931, the Board decided to proceed with setting up a linoleum factory in Falkland, Fife and there was correspondence about this berween the Board and Mr Ludwig Meyer of NKL. Proposed visit to Norway in 1931 was put back to 1932.

Mr Rennie and Mr Gallacher (Director) visited Holland, Germany, Sweden and Norway from August 23rd to September 5th 1932 in connection with Printing Work material. The postcard must be dated September 1st.

Their report was submitted to the Board in November 1932. No further information on the report or the outcome without ploughing through years of minute books!!
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby K9_Mac » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Wow how interesting. You guys are good!
K9_Mac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm

If there's such a thing as the Viking Ship Museum Achievement Award, then ibtg deserves it more than most.

See to it, Norwegian colleague!
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks, guys. :)

I've enjoyed this wee project - I had reached a brick wall in my Family History research, so it kept me out of mischief!

The people at the Mitchell archives are so helpful and the material they have is amazing, thanks to the foresight of people who have deposited documents with them. I will thank the staff on your behalf next visit.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)